Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think hes shown to be a pretty good bottom 6 player. I would love Slepyshev in his current form to be a 3rd or 4th liner. His horseblinders may limit him in the top 6, but right now hes a solid bottom 6er. The issue is, a former high profile Russian can make more money and be a star in the KHL, vs playing bottom 6 in the NHL. I completely understand if he does want to go back

Have to respectfully disagree that he can play consistently above 4th line. He is a solid 12/13/14 F, at best, in this league, in my opinion. I do agree he will make more money in the KHL. On to the next.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Hes pretty much exactly what we need, leaving. Big, physical, skilled, right winger. Showed he could play in the playoffs, then hampered by injury in training camp benched half the time after good performances and never given another chance. Aberg and Cammalleri getting played ahead of him, I wouldn't want to stay with an organization if they treated me this way.

Reactions: Aerrol

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Same for Auvitu,
don't know if these guys have more to give, and won't know as they we're not even given a chance in a lost season.

Reactions: Aerrol

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I kind of view Slep like I view Caguilla. He had a worse season but he’s another player I’d like to see brought back for one more year. Hoping that he ends up staying.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I guess by 'coddled' you meant 'carried the entire ****ing team on their backs'.
At least that's how I read it.
Yes they were coddled. They were treated differently than other players on the team and there have been several hints over the years from departed players alluding to this. There were also two separate cases of players being traded (Smid and Perron) when they spoke negatively publicly about their play. Those two were part of the group protected by management at all costs while other guys were treated like crap. It’s no surprise there were problems in the room. By me saying they were coddled isn’t me ripping on them, it wasn’t their fault they played for a team with a terrible front office but it happened.

Reactions: Darkwinter

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Same for Auvitu,
don't know if these guys have more to give, and won't know as they we're not even given a chance in a lost season.
Auvitu didn't play the right way though. He was a left handed version of Philip Larsen who took low percentage shots every time the puck hit his stick in the offensive zone. His puck rushes, though often successful, were extremely high risk. If you play that guy more and more, the dividends that are possibly paid out are kind of meaningless in the big picture.

Slepyshev, on the other hand, could've been given some PP time. Could've been given more time in the top six. But he sure as hell didn't do himself any favors refusing to report to Bakersfield early in the year to save is waiver exempt status. We don't have the nitty gritty available to us, but I have no doubts Anton was a bit difficult to deal with early on when he was struggling.

Ty Rattie clears waivers before game one, goes down and proceeds to lead that team in scoring while he's down there. That's why he got time with McDavid.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sorry to bump an old thread did it for context.

The guy who told me slepyshev was coming over in the first place has told me that while Slepyshev has not ruled out heading back to the nhl, he has heard nothing of slepyshev heading back this fall to the oilers

As per usual flaming stations will be fully manned

Oct 15, 2008
giphy.gif

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The guy who told me slepyshev was coming over in the first place has told me that while Slepyshev has not ruled out heading back to the nhl, he has heard nothing of slepyshev heading back this fall to the oilers

Who else would he be going to? The Oilers hold his rights.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Who else would he be going to? The Oilers hold his rights.

Guys who under stand the cba better than me can check but the the guy who told me he was first coming and then leaving is under the impression we only have his rights till juk1 1st 2021 and then he is ufa. But my buddy could be wrong

On the flip side he is suggests
the other Russian we drafted that draft could come back this fall

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Guys who under stand the cba better than me can check but the the guy who told me he was first coming and then leaving is under the impression we only have his rights till juk1 1st 2021 and then he is ufa. But my buddy could be wrong

On the flip side he is suggests
the other Russian we drafted that draft could come back this fall

He is the Oiler's property until July of 2021. That is correct. But this is 2020. Or are you saying he won't come back for at least a year?

At this point Yakimov would be a long shot for anything but an ahl deal.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
He is the Oiler's property until July of 2021. That is correct. But this is 2020. Or are you saying he won't come back for at least a year?

At this point Yakimov would be a long shot for anything but an ahl deal.

I'm not sure about this but I thought Russian players became UFA's when they turn 29.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
No. The age is 27.

Okay I found the UFA 29 year old rule. It pertains to the KHL. If a player wants to leave for the NHL before then they must compensate the KHL team. This is the reason why Radulov came back when he did. He was waiting until he became a UFA in the KHL.

Sorry, I recalled something about Russians and 29yr old UFA.
:doh:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

As your guy the National Post story that came out a day before you posted this?

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Looks like he's having a bit of a break out year, at least compared to what he's done before (40p in 51gp). I have to think he'd be better than some of the other guys we've tried on our bottom lines.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Would be a welcome surprise to see Slepy report to camp next fall. He's currently having a decent time in the KHL (around 0.5 pts per game), was named the KHL forward of the week in January, and was on the 2018-19 Gulagin Cup winning team (Moskva). So he hasn't been wasting his time at all. At 26, he'll be primed for NHL play - give us some depth that we need.

His 200 ft game was pretty inconsistent when he was here, but Todd didn't make it easier for him (constant rotation, low ice times, etc.). Hope he returns in an improved version.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Would be a welcome surprise to see Slepy report to camp next fall. He's currently having a decent time in the KHL (around 0.5 pts per game), was named the KHL forward of the week in January, and was on the 2018-19 Gulagin Cup winning team (Moskva). So he hasn't been wasting his time at all. At 26, he'll be primed for NHL play - give us some depth that we need.

His 200 ft game was pretty inconsistent when he was here, but Todd didn't make it easier for him (constant rotation, low ice times, etc.). Hope he returns in an improved version.
In 2016-2017 he played 447 5 vs 5 minutes and was on the ice for 7 GA in total. Frankly I always thought it was his offense that was inconsistent. He was always pretty sound defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad