Anton Khudobin

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Bob Barker, Mar 4, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Bob Barker

Bob Barker Registered User

Will this guy ever get a real chance or no? He seems to have good stats everywhere he plays.

2. MaxV

MaxV Registered User

Electrical Engineer
    He went from one NHL organization with a crowded goalie situation to another one with a crowded goalie situation.

I've read that he'll be a FA.

3. gifted88

gifted88 Dante the poet

Aerospace
    I always liked Khudobin, as you said his stats are really good where ever he goes. Problem is I think no GM will be willing to give him a roster spot without working his way up through their AHL affiliate. So time is not on his side.

4. FeedDaPuck

FeedDaPuck Registered User

Why would Boston even trade for him if they did not have something in mind. It is true - he is a UFA after this season. But I have a hunch that Boston will offer him a one-way deal - only that will keep him in NA.

In my opinion, Wild were stupid - when they signed Theodore as a back up without giving this kid a legitimate chance in the beginning of the season. I think he would have ran with it. They would have saved at least $500K and if he did not - bet you anything - Theodore would have still been available in late December.

5. cneely

cneely Registered User

No chance Boston gives him a one way deal with Rask and Thomas.

6. Giroux tha Damaja

Giroux tha Damaja Registered User

Student, printing press
    What has the goal tending been like for their AHL club this season? Maybe the trade was strictly to get a goalie for the AHL club for this year. Playing in front of a goalie you can't win with is not good for anyone's development.

7. GopherState

GopherState Repeat Offender...

I'll take Theodore for $1.1 million any day of the week. Khudobin's problem in the NHL is that his style leads to inconsistency. He's a step behind most NHL players and ends up flopping and spinning around to stop pucks.

8. Mark Stuart*

Mark Stuart* Guest

Crap crap and more crap. Though Hutchinson has looked alright at times, Schaefer was a bust. Dalton's shown flashes, but nothing too great.

9. JoeIsAStud

JoeIsAStud Registered User

Home Page:
    Boston traded for Khudobin for pure depth reasons. They have a 37 year old starting goaltender, and very good 1B goaltender, and absolutely nothing behind them.

Boston has a cup chance and they had no one at Providence you could even consider calling up for a couple games on an emergency basis. So they went and got someone who has been excellent in that role. Especially where Khudobin cost Boston nothing, 2 guys who were never going to see another NHL game in this organization, one of whom was never going to see another game in North America in this organization

Personally I'd love to keep him in the AHL for another year or two and then let him take over the backup role, but that doesn't seem like the best thing for Khudobin

10. Jbcraig1883

Jbcraig1883 Registered User

Home Page:
    This.

11. FeedDaPuck

Fixed))))

Listen, while he may have unorthodox style - it has produced results (Please see his VERY consistent career numbers at EVERY level that he has been at).

Threeormore is also extremely consistent - He consistently disappears in crunch time. Khudobin' flop-around style (Hasek, anyone?) is not what has been questioned about him - his tendency to sulk after a bad goal was. He has corrected that.

I feel that Providence is a great spot for Khudobin to show how consistent he is (their D is atrocious). Gut feel - he gets a one-way deal from the Bs in the off-season.

And yes, he is a step behind majority of NHL players - he is the last line of defense after all))) I think he is very quick in net - that's how he makes up for his lack of size.

12. Brandinho

Brandinho deng xiaoping gang

The Wild were stupid for signing a dependable veteran backup for peanuts who's played extremely well all year?

Yeah man, makes total sense. Theodore >>> Khudobin.

13. thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala Everyone! PANIC!

Actually in the games Dobbie played in, his team bailed him out A LOT.

14. malkinfan

malkinfan Registered User

school
    I agree with this.. Theodore posted decent #'s but I got to watch him a lot when he was with the caps, he was horrible when they needed him most. He will never win in the playoffs. BTW why sign him if you have Backstrom anyways? Shows they don't have confidence in him...Waste of cap space.
    Calgary has it right: They ride kipper for most of the season, and give a young guy a shot as back up and give him like 20 games or so. Wild should have done this too.

15. thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala Everyone! PANIC!

Uh...

We had Harding until he went down with an injury. There's our young guy.

Khudobin wasn't ready. I'm sorry. I know he's posted some good numbers but the team played out of their mind when he was in goal. He flops around more than a fish out of water. He's a decent goaltender but Minnesota is STACKED with decent goaltenders at this point.

He reminds me of Johan Holmqvist. Holmqvist was a solid goaltender in the A, a decent goaltender in the N but a journeyman at best.

16. forthewild

forthewild Registered User

Wild traded Khudobin because he's going to be a UFA and we have 3 guys who need something done with 4 if you count Harding, and up to 5 goalies who are showing something behind Backstrom

Hackett
    Kuempur
    Endras
    Gusftafsson
    Harding??

so yeah also Mikko Lehtonen has said he will attend the Wild camp so this deal isn't a waste.

However i do think Borat can be an NHL goalie just sucks he never had a decent chance to show it, his NHL numbers have been great tho i do wish him the best

17. Central Scrutinizer

Central Scrutinizer Lord of Song

Maybe the Bruins just want a closer look to see if he is capable of playing in the NHL

Maybe the Bruins will want to try and move Thomas again at seasons end. This time

coming off a vezina and possible Hart winning season, and with 2 seasons left on his

deal he may have a few intrested teams.

18. FeedDaPuck

Two games with the Providence - and it looks like he is doing ok. 1 goal allowed Friday and a SO today...

Consistent. All that flopping around works I guess.

19. GopherState

GopherState Repeat Offender...

Again, he's a great AHL goalie but not a goalie I'd rely on as a NHL backup. Khudobin played great in Houston and he will play great in Providence too; however he's not going to find his way onto a NHL roster due to the consistency he misses at the top level. The Holmqvist comparison made earlier in the thread is dead-on.