Antoine Vermette Appreciation Thread

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it's because the explanation is unconvincing.

Agree. Vermette was a sunk cost. There is virtually no savings, and no upside to this move, imo. Saves half a million? Are we so hard up for cash that we cut a veteran roster player where we are thin to save 625k (maximum)?

Noone thought Vermette was a "net negative on the ice" before that became the official story. I can't think of a single post here indicating he was a net negative or that we'd be a better team without him until after the buyout. Despite a bad start to last year, everyone thought he represented valuable center depth while we integrated young players.

From a short term view though, it does fit the pattern of minimizing expenses this year by deferring extra expenses to next... Maybe they think they'll be in a better position to absorb expenses next year. That doesn't mean the team is moving, but I doubt an interim arena deal in the valley is going to be more palatable financially than this year.

Go back and read rt's post about this. He explained it very well.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hmm. So slightly less than max retention ($1.875) would've been. Plus they get him for another year. I suppose any deal wouldve involved taking back a contract too.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Or Vermette figured he's worth 2M on the market even after last season, so refused a trade and made them buy him out.

2M + buyout money> 3.25M

As it stands 1.75M + buyout money is still greater than 3.25M, so he did okay.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
We'll probably be losing a lot of faceoffs to him :laugh:

Well, I think Richardson could can beat him, but Dauphin/Gaudet would most likely lose (I doubt Vermette will be on the 1st line--but if he is, he'll win over Hanzal almost every time) :P

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, at least one other franchise sees him as a semi-decent player and not a net-negative on the ice... I think all the "net negative" people are going to have egg on their face this season.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Well, at least one other franchise sees him as a semi-decent player and not a net-negative on the ice... I think all the "net negative" people are going to have egg on their face this season.

The net negative argument I think was trying to pick at Chayka's brain more than anything else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad