Player Discussion Antoine Roussel

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Have to agree with other posters. I've liked Roussel so far. Better motor than I thought and a guy who's aggravating to play against. Looks like he can also play and up and down the lineup in a pinch. Doesn't really make up for signings like Gagner and Del Zotto, but maybe Jimbo is starting to get the hang of this UFA thing.

Well, he seems to be targeting better guys. His contract negotiation skills still leave a lot to be desired, though.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Agreed. Like him as a player but stupid contract. But if they move Sutter at the TDL all is forgiven

With Sutter and Beagle, They don't need to use Horvat like he is the next Kesler. A role that he has struggle with since day 1. Without Sutter, you want Horvat to take all those tough mins and sacrifice some of his offence?

I honestly don't know what the fuss is over Sutter contract. He is probably paid by half a million. Is that so hard to live with?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Maybe a 2nd and a mid range D prospect. If we are willing to eat salary it could be better. He will be in demand this TDL regardless of his contract

Ew. I am not trading Sutter for that at the trade deadline. There's no reason for that this year. I do agree that he would be in demand.

You said you love draft picks and what you want is essentially a 2nd round pick from presumably a playoff team?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Ew. I am not trading Sutter for that at the trade deadline. There's no reason for that this year. I do agree that he would be in demand.

You said you love draft picks and what you want is essentially a 2nd round pick from presumably a playoff team?
Well I want a first round pick but I’m being reasonable. I said a 2nd and B level prospect. If we can somehow get a first? Fantastic

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sutter's future with the Canucks really depends on how fast Gaudette picks up the NHL game imo. Sutter might actually be attractive to a playoff-bound looking for depth, despite the term on his contract. And with Edler's expiring contact, the Canucks might have some intriguing pieces to hit a home run at trade deadline time. Then again, this is Jimbo and the Canucks we're talking about.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He brings culture of winning, not actual winning.
Exactly. Without him wed probably get like 60 pts this year. He provides a lotta the defensive responsiblities that ALLOWS guys like Horvat and Peetey Pettersson to focus more on scoring goals

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
We may as well as nobody appears to be interested in picks around here lol

We should literally keep trading all of our picks every year for more and more draft picks. Like trade Hughes for a 2,2,3,4,5. Trade Pettersson for 2,2,2,3,3,4,4 and then next year trade those picks for even more picks, and trade those picks for more picks until we have like 70 picks in one draft, and then win the cup for 15 years.

Am I doing this right?

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
Watching each replay of Canucks games, I 'd like to see Rous and EP on the same line
He has not the hands of Goldobin but his speed and intensity could match with Elias

I like what I see from Antoine since his concussion, gradually his speed and energy level are back (recover sooner than I expect)
He was the best player on the first line vs NYR, good on the 2 ways, no stupid penalties since the first game
He even could get more assists if pillons (hello Pouliot...) didn't ruin some good pass he delivered all the last games lol

I miss him on the Stars and I don't even imagine if we have drafted EP instead of Heiskanen (which is a future elite D don't fool me)

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
He's not much of a pest is he. He sure isn't playing for us the way he used to play against us. Whether it's the retirement country club culture or the concussion I'm not sure, but hopefully we get more from him in the future than we're getting now.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He's not much of a pest is he. He sure isn't playing for us the way he used to play against us. Whether it's the retirement country club culture or the concussion I'm not sure, but hopefully we get more from him in the future than we're getting now.

I thought it was pretty clear he was damaged goods after he had the prolonged concussion issue.

He can't play his style of game with just months away from a head injury.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Rousssel has been one of the more palatable acquisitions by this management group to this point.

His occasional shenanigans make him entertaining to watch, he's a decent two-way player and isn't as much of a drag in terms of producing offense as some of the other bums on this roster. I like the combination of him and Horvat quite a bit.

We've been burned by early season runs before but so far this is one free agent signing by Benning I don't mind all that much (which isn't a high bar but still).

Last edited:

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Rousssel has been one of the more palatable acquisitions by this management group to this point.

His occasional shenanigans make him entertaining to watch, he's a two-way player and isn't as much of a drag in terms of producing offense as some of the other bums on this roster. I like the combination of him and Horvat quite a bit.

We've been burned by early season runs before but so far this is one free agent signing by Benning I don't mind all that much (which isn't a high bar but still).

Arguably the best of the 3 free agent signings this season, so far. Actually looks good up and down the lineup, and along with Bo also has some good chemistry going on with Jake Virtanen too.

That penalty shot goal his first game was pretty sick too. "Actually French Burrows" has some skill.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Agree. Roussel has been my fave of the three, for sure. He's always involved in the play, and has good hockey sense.

Schaller has been largely useless, and Beagle I've barely seen play because he's been injured so much.

Reactions: Zippgunn

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

His occasional shenanigans make him entertaining to watch, he's a decent two-way player and isn't as much of a drag in terms of producing offense as some of the other bums on this roster. I like the combination of him and Horvat quite a bit.

I actually like him more with Jake. He seems to get Jake involved more because of his forecheck or the random crap he pulls. Jake seems to feed off of his energy a bit and is more into the scrums that ensue due to Rousell being on the ice. If everyone healthy I'd like to see:
Leivo-EP40-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin
Rousell-Sutter-Virtanen
Motte-Beagle-Eriksson/Granlund

Reactions: PredsForPresidents

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad