Antoine Roussel

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
He reminds me of Pat Verbeek for some reason with the way he plays minus the offensive output of Verbeek.

Well, his actual offensive output to this point you could say matches up. The dude is on a 30 goal, 50 point pace. Of course he won't keep that up, just saying.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Wow, that must be a really deep league. I expect him to be pushed out by Cole, and if Fraser sticks he's going to be the odd man out on a team that has 4 balanced lines.

Cole basically ends Fraser's time in Dallas. I'd be shocked once Whitney is back if they keep the kid up. Roussel has done nothing to earn that healthy scratch nor has Garbutt for that matter.

I'd be really curious to see the numbers of our bottom six players this year in comparison to last season. With the exception of Nystrom's 16 goals last year I'd almost be willing to bet our bottom six guys have outscored everyone from last year.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Looking at the TOI/G, there are only two players who compare to Galchenyuk and Gallagher's production with limited minutes and that's Roussel and Cizikas on Long Island.

Is Roussel not ready for the minutes or is he being misused? Is it just a smart coaching decision to limit him?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Looking at the TOI/G, there are only two players who compare to Galchenyuk and Gallagher's production with limited minutes and that's Roussel and Cizikas on Long Island.

Is Roussel not ready for the minutes or is he being misused? Is it just a smart coaching decision to limit him?

He's not a top 6 prospect at all. He's just having some good, rather unexpected production. Likely won't ever be more than a good 3rd liner, very similar to Steve Ott.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
He's been doing very good with Roy and made feed to Cole. I think most players would've shot it

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I looked up Roussel's stats and they don't indicate the kind of guy who'd chip in this much in the NHL, much less anything at all. Maybe it's just lucky or he's on a hot streak, I don't know, but either way if he keeps this up he'll be the biggest surprise of the year for us and maybe the entire NHL.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It doesn't even really seem like he's on a hot-streak, either. He's just making the most of his chances, which he seems to have a knack for creating.

English stars fan

Jun 15, 2011
UK
I'm so confused by this guy. Not much more than a spare part in his career until now, brought up because of the energy he brings, goes on a tear.

Interested to see if it can last. It's not just the numbers, he looks pretty good out there. His assist today was a thing of beauty; great hockey sense.

MetalGodAOD*

I don't see him staying in the top 6 when Whitney comes back, but he's earned to stay with the big club. This is a good problem to have.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
The guy has excellent jump and good hockey sense. He's usually doing all the right things out there and that's been equating to points. It may or may not last but as long as he keeps playing the way he's playing he's got a spot on this team.

Phil Connors*

When Whitney gets back, put him with Eakin and Smith. And since our 4th line is fine the way it is. Do whatever you want with Morrow, just keep him out of the line up.

StarsFan74

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
When Whitney gets back, put him with Eakin and Smith. And since our 4th line is fine the way it is. Do whatever you want with Morrow, just keep him out of the line up.

That unfortunately won't happen. I'm afraid the trade-off is either Roussel or Garbutt, and that'd be a crying shame.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Any thought to moving Reilly Smith back to Austin and leaving Roussell in the top 9 when Whitney gets healthy? It wouldn't necessarily be my first choice, but Roussell is adding more than Smith right now, and getting Reilly more ice time in Austin wouldn't be the end of the world.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Trade Morrow for Caron or Bortuzzo and put them in the AHL. Surely GMJN realizes that trading Morrow is addition by subtraction at this point. Not that he's a bad player, but he simply doesn't have a place in our line-up anymore.

Cole - Benn - Jagr
Whitney - Roy - Eriksson
Roussel - Eakin - Smith
Nystrom - Fiddler - Garbutt

There's no spot in that line-up where Morrow would be a better fit than the player already there.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Any thought to moving Reilly Smith back to Austin and leaving Roussell in the top 9 when Whitney gets healthy? It wouldn't necessarily be my first choice, but Roussell is adding more than Smith right now, and getting Reilly more ice time in Austin wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm thinking that's an option, especially if they don't move Morrow soon or at all. I think Smith is a kid that's going to grow into it but not all of his game has arrived yet. Roussel for whatever reason is doing better and there's certainly no reason to drop him while he's producing.

As for Roussel, he's going along at a .61/game point pace. That doesn't seem sustainable nor is his 22.22% shooting percentage but man his motor puts him in great positions and he seems to have pretty decent on ice vision for a guy who's never lit up the score sheet at any level.

I'm going with extremely small sample size but honestly outside of Dillon and Eakin he's been the best young player on this team outplaying Reilly by a good margin. Smith has all the tools to blossom into a top six winger but it may take him a while to get there just like Loui. This may be the best Roussel ever looks but if this production is even remotely close to his final product he just might be a better version of Steve Ott.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
He is (or at least he looks) way, way faster than Ott as well.

He might be faster than Daley and could be playing his way into that 3rd line center role if the Stars can't reach an agreement with Roy. Seriously, small sample size is what I keep reminding myself but damn this kid has been fantastic and I really, really hope he keeps it up. The "antics" he's supposedly known for haven't shown themselves and I don't think you can ask for more drive and hustle. It appears that as long as he plays with other good players he doesn't look out of place and the one thing Stars organization has is good winger depth which should continue to make that possible.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
He had those antics at the start of the AHL year taking stupid penalties and being a major antagonist in the same vein as Ott. Then something happened in Nov/Dec and he suddenly started turning into a more skilled player, cut down on his antics and started playing really really well.

I think it comes down to coaching by Willie or something because the turn around has been surprising.

I was his biggest critic and now I like the way he plays.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He probably thought his way to the NHL was to goon it up. You're probably right that someone pulled him aside and let him know he had enough actual hockey skill to do more.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Is now the time to point out quite a few people were in a frenzy over Roussel playing instead of Austin Smith?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad