Player Discussion Antoine Roussel

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Congrats on a great year Rous! More than a capable replacement for DD, I am confident that he would be the one of the best FA signing of the JB era.... though its a low bar...

Reactions: pomorick

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Congrats on a great year Rous! More than a capable replacement for DD, I am confident that he would be the one of the best FA signing of the JB era.... though its a low bar...

No no no, there's no low bar anymore. Benning basically took the bar and threw the thing into the ocean.

Reactions: pomorick

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yep, and he essentially makes Ferland completely redundant if he plays similarly to last year (extremely good ES production per 60)

I see posters talking about redundancy a lot (ever since Gillis traded Grabner?). It's not like we have two Baertschi's here. If Roussel plays similarly to last year, I wouldn't mind having another player just like him in the lineup. The same goes for Ferland if he's more than just completely damaged goods.

Reactions: DFAC and MikeK

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
as much as hes a feisty player he's toned it down a bit this year coming back from knee surgery. where was he when petterson got slashed and hacked and whacked.? should'nt he be doing the same thing to the oppositions top players? he got fined today for slashing weber at the end of last nights game. should van trade him? to a team that needs a feisty winger? just to get rid of his contract? just wondering. his first year was good. he will always get a reputation call even if he decides to help out his teammate or take a penalty of his own.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Always tough for any player to basically miss training camp and the first couple of months of the season....but Roussel's play this year is basically the 'elephant in the room' that nobody wants to talk about. Fact is, he's been less than stellar and doesn't appear to be able to get there anymore. All you can hope for is that he gets his mojo back by playoff time....otherwise, it's another in the long line of abominable contracts signed by Benning and the Canucks.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Always tough for any player to basically miss training camp and the first couple of months of the season....but Roussel's play this year is basically the 'elephant in the room' that nobody wants to talk about. Fact is, he's been less than stellar and doesn't appear to be able to get there anymore. All you can hope for is that he gets his mojo back by playoff time....otherwise, it's another in the long line of abominable contracts signed by Benning and the Canucks.

I wouldn't put him in the same boat as Eriksson and Beagle. He had a very good first year but suffered an unfortunate and lengthy injury. It was just bad luck imo. Hoping a full offseason to train and a full training camp will get him back to speed next year.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I wouldn't put him in the same boat as Eriksson and Beagle. He had a very good first year but suffered an unfortunate and lengthy injury. It was just bad luck imo. Hoping a full offseason to train and a full training camp will get him back to speed next year.
Yeah I think Rousell's deserves to be cut a little slack given just how well he played for us last season. He's earned at least that much (from my perspective). Especially given how soft much of our lineup is (we need players like him on the team *if* he's healthy).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He turned 30 this year and coming off major reconstructive knee surgery. He may be able to get back to where he was at times last year, but also a chance that he never will.

I agree that his contract is nowhere near as bad as those of Beagle and Eriksson, but if he can't pick it up, it becomes a 'strong third' in terms of poor contracts for the money.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Thought he had a pretty good game VS the Hawks yesterday. Maybe like others said it takes time to fully recover from that injury. Heres to hoping he can REGANE what he did last season for us down the stretch and into the playoffs

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sad to say it, but at this point in Roussel's career any one of MacEwen, Hawryluk or even Bailey could bring as much or more to the table at a fraction of his cap hit.

It's another contract Benning would probably love to trade if he could....but the chances of moving it without a significant and costly 'sweetener' are virtually 'nil'.

Reactions: supercanuck

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Roussel is easily the bad contract with the best chance of bouncing back. By the start of the season he will have had a year to recover from knee surgery.

Ligaments and other connective tissue strengthen much more slowly than muscle. With a stronger framework of tendons for muscles to push off of his skating could improve greatly with all this extra time to recover. Being cleared to play and being 100% are different things, so I'm curious to see what he looks like going forward.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Roussel is easily the bad contract with the best chance of bouncing back. By the start of the season he will have had a year to recover from knee surgery.
He was good in year one but tore his acl late in the year vs Rangers. Never seemed to be fully recovered.
This is a key year for him.
If he can bounce back to what he was in year one it gives the Canucks a much better chance to move him in the off season or have Seattle take him and flip him at the tdl.

Reactions: bh53

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Ligaments and other connective tissue strengthen much more slowly than muscle. With a stronger framework of tendons for muscles to push off of his skating could improve greatly with all this extra time to recover. Being cleared to play and being 100% are different things, so I'm curious to see what he looks like going forward.
Agreed. He obviously was not there last year after his return. Hopefully he's engaging in a McDavid style recovery plan.

I'm not saying "he will be back to peak form", but rather that unlike Beagle, Sutter and Eriksson, there's a chance that Roussel plays up to his contract this season.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Still can't believe he got 4 years in term after coming off a 17pt season. That 2018 off-season was so damn bad.

Reactions: timw33

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
People have been whining about Miller, Holtby, and Jake a lot, but I gotta say that Rous is my pick for worst player of the season so far. And I'll tell you why. Unlike those other players, the Canucks are a much worse every time he's on the ice, because he isn't tough, is a defensive liability, can't score, and puts the other team on the powerplay at least once a game, if not more -- and usually totally needlessly. He's been a total failure on every level this season.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad