Player Discussion Antoine Roussel

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
How are you going to sign a player that you don't have in the first place? You either use a draft pick to obtain a player, or you trade other players/picks to obtain him. Those have value.

You sign them in free agency. What are you saying, if you follow hockey then you should know that free agency is a yearly occurrence.

If you're referring to indirect value that we are giving up then it is cap space.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
What does this guy do? Honestly asking. What is he contributing to this team? Motte looks more useful than this guy

Both Motte and Roussel hustle and work hard but Roussel seems to accomplish much more as a result. Roussel is producing at a 28 5v5 point pace while playing minutes a game, that isn't bad, he can slot up into the top 6 if necessary and not be a complete offensive black hole.

I don't think he's worth his current pay grade, but he's more useful than a lot of the other forwards on this team, Motte being one of them.

Reactions: PredsForPresidents

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
You sign them in free agency. What are you saying, if you follow hockey then you should know that free agency is a yearly occurrence.

If you're referring to indirect value that we are giving up then it is cap space.

Drafting is an annual occurrence. Trading players happens every year. I don't see what that has to do with it.

If Player A would cost $1 million less in cap space than equivalent Player B, but you'd have to part with other assets to get Player A whereas Player B can be obtained without using other assets, that's part of the calculus.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm afraid I disagree. Players are most effective when they provide production. Most older players focus on the defensive side of the game is because they are unable to contribute in scoring as well as they used to. If they fail to adapt then they would simply be phased out of the league.

I'd actually wait for Roussel to put up a career year before saying it's a peak production season from him. The sample size is quite small and more than half the season is left. He could very well find himself in a scoring slump later on in the season. That being said, I fully expect him to produce around 29 points which is where he has done historically. However, I expect a drop-off in production in year 3-4. I just disagree that notion that he will improve or maintain this level of production during his 3 and 4th year of the contract.
I don't expect him to maintain the full extent of his historical production levels... but expect him to continue to provide overall effectiveness and value for his contract in yr 3 and 4.

I have little to no concern about Roussel.. you do.. We'll agree to disagree... And together we'll see how it plays out.

So far so good eh..

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I don't expect him to maintain the full extent of his historical production levels... but expect him to continue to provide overall effectiveness and value for his contract in yr 3 and 4.

I have little to no concern about Roussel.. you do.. We'll agree to disagree... And together we'll see how it plays out.

So far so good eh..

No i absolutely agree that is a fair opinion.

I agree with you that Roussel should be able to keep up his historical production for years 1-2 of the contract.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Drafting is an annual occurrence. Trading players happens every year. I don't see what that has to do with it.

If Player A would cost $1 million less in cap space than equivalent Player B, but you'd have to part with other assets to get Player A whereas Player B can be obtained without using other assets, that's part of the calculus.

Then couldn't it be said to get a similar player to Roussel worth 5-6 million but receive a draft pick or prospect through trade be part of the calculus as well?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Then couldn't it be said to get a similar player to Roussel worth 5-6 million but receive a draft pick or prospect through trade be part of the calculus as well?

Sure. There's a market for absorbing players with bad contracts, players with career-ending injuries, etc.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I've grown to like Roussel, aside from his antics (diving/dirty) he's actually a good role player.
Currently he's on pace for 38 points, while putting up a 2.08CF% Rel.

I like how aggressive his forecheck is, I unironically would try him on Boeser/Pettersson line. Mostly because that line seems to have a hard time retrieving pucks. Not like there is a really is a solid option on that LW on that line anyway.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I've grown to like Roussel, aside from his antics (diving/dirty) he's actually a good role player.

I like how aggressive his forecheck is, I unironically would try him on Boeser/Pettersson line. Mostly because that line seems to have a hard time retrieving pucks. Not like there is a really is a solid option on that LW on that line anyway.

Been saying it since camp that he should be tried up there...
And he was for like a period earlier this season iirc.

Once Baertschi and Sutter return... we would be afforded the depth to experiment with it again..

I liked the line juggle of switching Virtanen and Roussel in the latter half of the game.. positive effect on both lines.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Roussel's still a turd who should pick which players to try to get off their game better

But he is entertaining which is a lot more than I can say about a lot of the guys on this team

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Roussel caused a lot of discord against TB. Their answer was to run Petterson. Canucks do not need an instigator.

If anything it was Virtanen going after Martel or Gudbranson's punches that made them run Pettersson. The hit on Stetcher was dirty, but I doubt Martel the midget had the Roussel hit on his mind when he made it.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Roussel caused a lot of discord against TB. Their answer was to run Petterson. Canucks do not need an instigator.
Yes and also to head shot Stecher. And now he's out with a concussion. But hey, Roussel really put the stamp on little Yanni Gourde, right. That really made em mad over on the Tampa bench.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
As a person who went to game and was greatly entertained I would say an instigator is exactly what this team needs. If the Canucks get good teams are going to go after Petterson physically. At least now we have a player willing to do the same. The response if we do not bother them they might play nice is naive and pathetic. Rousell brings emotion to game, to teammates and yes to the fans. He has been a great addition to team.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
As a person who went to game and was greatly entertained I would say an instigator is exactly what this team needs. If the Canucks get good teams are going to go after Petterson physically. At least now we have a player willing to do the same. The response if we do not bother them they might play nice is naive and pathetic. Rousell brings emotion to game, to teammates and yes to the fans. He has been a great addition to team.
Yeah im won over too i like Roussells game

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
An annoying agitator, who gives the team energy and can also play the game is alright. He has a role.

He seriously is coming across as Burrows 2.0, and I am ok with that as long as he doesn't go too far over the line or be a Marchand in terms of becoming a cheapshot artist.

It's also interesting how we almost signed him years ago originally, and got him back.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Roussel and Beagle have both been good contributors this year; I hope they can sustain that not just for this season, but the duration of their deals. The early returns at least are solid.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Roussel and Beagle have both been good contributors this year; I hope they can sustain that not just for this season, but the duration of their deals. The early returns at least are solid.
Completely agree- which was never the problem in the first place. I don't think many had a problem with these guys as players, but 4 years for both of them is a year too long which especially in Beagle's case we may see him fall off of a cliff. Potentially one of these guys or Eriksson or Gudbrandson would be gone in the expansion draft but my guess would be Rousell at this point.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Came into the thread to say the same exact things.

Not a fan of having two shooters around Pettersson, so maybe this would be a good option.

Love that you think the same way as me:oops:

Reactions: WTG

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Completely agree- which was never the problem in the first place. I don't think many had a problem with these guys as players, but 4 years for both of them is a year too long which especially in Beagle's case we may see him fall off of a cliff. Potentially one of these guys or Eriksson or Gudbrandson would be gone in the expansion draft but my guess would be Rousell at this point.

And I totally get that concern (length of the deal), as it's one I share. I hope they're up to it (sustaining the level of play for the term). They both seem like good guys and have been quality for the team this year.

I'll admit, I didn't think Schaller would be the worst of the bunch - especially not by as huge a margin as he's turned out to be. What a terrible deal.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
And I totally get that concern (length of the deal), as it's one I share. I hope they're up to it (sustaining the level of play for the term). They both seem like good guys and have been quality for the team this year.

I'll admit, I didn't think Schaller would be the worst of the bunch - especially not by as huge a margin as he's turned out to be. What a terrible deal.
Schaller's deal is whatever still, more of a piss off to Aqua than anything. This season he's not blocking anyone really (some would argue Gaunce). Next year he's probably buried in the minors which won't impact the cap that much, only the wallet of Aqua. The term on Rousell isn't that bad realistically either- would have preferred the 3 year deal but the extra year isn't that big of a deal IMO. It's more Beagle that bugs me- why a team supposed to be rebuilding and offer youth opportunities gives a guy a 4 year deal to expire when he's 37 is beyond me.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The issue for me all along and I stand by it; when we are supposed to be competing (in another four years lol) we will have 37 year old 4th liners tied to crazy contracts. How many competitive teams have 37 year old fourth liners?

Your fourth liners need to be in the 26-30 range which means we need to be developing those players now and dealing with the growing pains now.

Gaunce now might be worse than beagle ignoring contracts but a developed gaunce at 27/28 is ten times more valuable than beagle at 37 and providing whatever he can

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The issue for me all along and I stand by it; when we are supposed to be competing (in another four years lol) we will have 37 year old 4th liners tied to crazy contracts. How many competitive teams have 37 year old fourth liners?

Your fourth liners need to be in the 26-30 range which means we need to be developing those players now and dealing with the growing pains now.

Gaunce now might be worse than beagle ignoring contracts but a developed gaunce at 27/28 is ten times more valuable than beagle at 37 and providing whatever he can
Highly unlikely Beagle plays out the entire 4 years of his deal (most likely another 1.75 years)..After seeing him wipe the floor with everybody with his fitness at camp,I'm not worried ....he can be effective for a couple more years.

Gaunce is an AHL player,..he will be 25 in just over 3 months..times not on his side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad