Speculation: Anthony Stolarz

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Nah thats the correct decision. Stolarz can't be the backup for the Oilers next season if Koskinen is the starter. They need a 1a/1b type of situation with Koskinen at the very least . Find someone like Lehner/Greiss/Halak/Khudobin to share the net with Koskinen and if need be take over for a while. Now i don't mean exactly those guys since not all of them will be available but someone like that.

Stolarz is a worse goalie than Koskinen who is already pretty questionable so that can't work.

Reactions: Morrison and zaqq

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't know if they were really intending to bring Stolarz back and whether he'd really have any trade value at this point. That trade was more about opening some cap space by moving Talbot's contract (I forget if it was a necessary move to activate Sekera).

Oilers probably will be on the lookout for a more proven backup. I don't think they even have a spot for Stolarz in the minors at this rate. Incumbent AHL starter Shane Starrett is RFA. Dylan Wells and Stuart Skinner have two more years left on their ELCs. And they have the rights to Providence goalie Hayden Hawkey who they could sign once the Friars are finished with the Frozen Four.

Reactions: 780il

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I don't know if they were really intending to bring Stolarz back and whether he'd really have any trade value at this point. That trade was more about opening some cap space by moving Talbot's contract (I forget if it was a necessary move to activate Sekera).

Oilers probably will be on the lookout for a more proven backup. I don't think they even have a spot for Stolarz in the minors at this rate. Incumbent AHL starter Shane Starrett is RFA. Dylan Wells and Stuart Skinner have two more years left on their ELCs. And they have the rights to Providence goalie Hayden Hawkey who they could sign once the Friars are finished with the Frozen Four.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head...

Talbot didn't have much value and we needed to make room for Sekera coming back.

We'll be after a more experienced goalie in UFA this summer since Koskinen only has 50 NHL games under his belt. Personally I hope they go after Lehner in FA.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Pretty much hit the nail on the head...

Talbot didn't have much value and we needed to make room for Sekera coming back.

We'll be after a more experienced goalie in UFA this summer since Koskinen only has 50 NHL games under his belt. Personally I hope they go after Lehner in FA.

Lehner will not be going for backup money . Pretty sure Oilers would have to pay him at least what they will pay Koskinen.

Reactions: Morrison

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Still can’t believe the Flyers didn’t get a draft pick with Talbot.

Philadelphia did Edmonton a favor taking Talbots cap hit for just big Stolarz.
Philly hasn’t played Talbot that much either.
Philly likely wanted a veteran around for Hart. At least one who was playing and not hurt like Elliott was.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

flyers did the oilers a favour. With Sekera coming off the LTIR they had to shed money and they did. Amused the flyers did not hold out for a pick

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Let him walk... Too bad Broissot already came and gone cause he would be a good option to have as a guy that plays a pretty decent work load with Koskinen. Im assuming he priced himself outta Winnipeg for next season

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
flyers did the oilers a favour. With Sekera coming off the LTIR they had to shed money and they did. Amused the flyers did not hold out for a pick

Seems like a waste of time to try and bend them over a barrel for a 7th rounder in 2025. Every goalie between the Flyers and Phantoms has been injured at one point or another this season. Throw in his relationship with Hart, and Flyers’ desire to find a dependable backup for next year... it’s no wonder it was a straight swap.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

What pick are they getting?

The Oilers did the Flyers a favor by giving them a player that they wanted to work with their young, potentially, franchise goalie and see if he was a good fit for them as a back-up going forward.

It cost them a bad goalie with no future with the team and some money which is nothing for them. I am surprised the Oilers didn't get a pick for doing the Flyers a favor.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
It was a trade we didnt lose. Only one this year we didnt win it but at least we didnt lose it

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He is lousy and the oilers don't care at all if he leaves.
Having said that the games issue to keep him an RFA and the montoya thing just further highlights how utterly stupid this franchise is. As in total morons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad