Confirmed with Link: Anthony Stewart, picks to LA for Kevin Westgarth

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Damn you're fast, Dave. I figured I'd start the thread, but you beast-moded that one.

Haha, yeah, only way a jumped on that one was because I was reading the Ellis release to figure out if it mentions it's pro-rated and bam, new link on the right side saying "Canes acquire Kevin Westgarth"

posted it in here even before it hit any of the twitterwebs :laugh:

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Why do we have to add to these deals? Like I understand it's not much to ***** about, Alt may not ever play in the NHL and a 4th and a 6th aren't going to get great talent, but it just makes no sense.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not sure why we added two picks instead of one, but this one actually makes sense. Canes save almost 200K in cap and a quarter million real dollars to ditch a useless player for someone that actually fills a roster need.

Interestingly Westgarth is Bill Cowher's stepson (cue up the Cowher to coach Carolina Panthers rumors yet again :sarcasm:)

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
If this deal does nothing else at least the average IQ of the team just went up :laugh:

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
A Stew as a person is awesome.. he just thanked the canes the fans for his time here..

As a player, he only showed flashes of what he should be. Too bad it didn't work out.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
A Stew as a person is awesome.. he just thanked the canes the fans for his time here..

As a player, he only showed flashes of what he should be. Too bad it didn't work out.

Yep, the personality Eh Stew was outright hilarious. But he's just never been able to put it together in the NHL for whatever reason.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Name a JR fourth or sixth round pick who has ever amounted to anything. I don't think there has been any, so the picks are of little to no value to the Canes IMO. All they usually do is fill the quota of Compuware/Plymouth guys they have to draft in a given year.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I think his physical ability far outweighs his desire. Their would be games last year where he would get a chance, play well and then get lazy again.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Not sure why we added two picks instead of one, but this one actually makes sense. Canes save almost 200K in cap and a quarter million real dollars to ditch a useless player for someone that actually fills a roster need.

Interestingly Westgarth is Bill Cowher's stepson (cue up the Cowher to coach Carolina Panthers rumors yet again :sarcasm:)

I think you mean son-in-law.

I think this and Boucher are the deals that JR said may look kind of odd, but will serve a purpose during one of his pressers. I wouldn't be shocked to see one more guy shipped out to make room for another Checker. Nodl perhaps? I was scratching my head last year when we picked him up. It would fit JR to overpay now to trade him out of here.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Like I mentioned in the other thread, standard jr to add picks or prospects to trades that don't seem to need it. Good to clear out stew and get a guy clearly designed for the fourth line.

Thought Blanchard was supposed to get a look at that role at some point.

Wasn't cole a 4th as well?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think you mean son-in-law.

I think this and Boucher are the deals that JR said may look kind of odd, but will serve a purpose during one of his pressers. I wouldn't be shocked to see one more guy shipped out to make room for another Checker. Nodl perhaps? I was scratching my head last year when we picked him up. It would fit JR to overpay now to trade him out of here.

Yep, Son in law, not stepson. Mixed that one up somehow. Point still stands though, Cowher to Carolina Panthers (E5)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad