Prospect Info: Anthony Mantha

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I thought Mantha looked adequate defensively during his stint last season. Or was it just me? I seem to remember him using his reach several times to his advantage in the D zone.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Who does Mantha replace? Maybe only AA. Earlier I would have said Vanek but Vanek is just too good right now. It's basically the Vanek show on the PP and a lot of ES as well.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Who does Mantha replace? Maybe only AA. Earlier I would have said Vanek but Vanek is just too good right now. It's basically the Vanek show on the PP and a lot of ES as well.

I think Holland needs to swing a trade at some point. Enough excuses. And having depth like Mantha ready to step in is what makes it possible to overpay and still come out ahead. Kill two birds with one stone, upgrade the D and open a spot for Mantha. Then Bertuzzi/Svech/Sadowy/etc become the call-ups.

Pie in the sky here:

Tatar (50% retained) + 2nd (or prospect) to ANA for Fowler

Nyquist to NYI for Hamonic, flip Hamonic and 1st to Winnipeg for Trouba. Add if necessary.

Move Smith for a pick. With Kronwall on LTIR I think that leaves enough cap space.

The roll with this:

Mantha-Nielsen-Vanek
Zetterberg-Larkin-Abdelkader
Helm-AA-Sheahan
Miller-Glendening-Ott

Fowler-Trouba
DeKeyser-Green
Ericsson-Marchenko

Ok, snap back to reality. :cry:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Miller. And then you flip Abby to the 4th line (guy with no pts and 3 shots in 4 GP), and put Mantha in the top 6.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Miller. And then you flip Abby to the 4th line (guy with no pts and 3 shots in 4 GP), and put Mantha in the top 6.

I was trying to think about things that were within the realm of possibility. I think Abby is all but guaranteed a permanent roster spot + top9 roles. Obviously I think a line of Glendening, Abby, AA/Helm would be pretty effective. They'd have a good identity too. Crash and bang, speed.

But let's be real that ain't happening.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was trying to think about things that were within the realm of possibility. I think Abby is all but guaranteed a permanent roster spot + top9 roles. Obviously I think a line of Glendening, Abby, AA/Helm would be pretty effective. They'd have a good identity too. Crash and bang, speed.

But let's be real that ain't happening.

He played on the 4th line against Florida, and then he actually played even less TOI in the game after that (13:27). So not sure that it's impossible.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
There's a big difference between saying that all your players need a certain level of defensive accountability, and trying to turn an offensive defenseman into a defense-first player. All that was being claimed is that it's not smart to force an unestablished player, as soon as they crack the NHL, to completely change the type of player they've always been.

Then whoever said that was wildly overreacting to what's really a fairly benign expectation to merit play at the NHL level: don't be terrible defensively.

Augmenting with greater defensive responsibility is fine. Totally demolishing offensive instincts to do it is not.

If a player is so bizarrely stunted that the only way they can play at a defensive level acceptable for NHL hockey is to completely demolish and abandon their offensive instincts, they are a bad hockey player and shouldn't be in the NHL anyway.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If a player is so bizarrely stunted that the only way they can play at a defensive level acceptable for NHL hockey is to completely demolish and abandon their offensive instincts, they are a bad hockey player and shouldn't be in the NHL anyway.
So if a mouse gets an electric shock every time it reaches for a food pellet, it died of starvation due to...not being good enough at eating?

Coaches make mistakes. Sometimes they even grossly mishandle players. I'm not saying Smith shares no blame, but I do think Babcock definitely helped screw him up.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
I think Holland needs to swing a trade at some point. Enough excuses. And having depth like Mantha ready to step in is what makes it possible to overpay and still come out ahead. Kill two birds with one stone, upgrade the D and open a spot for Mantha. Then Bertuzzi/Svech/Sadowy/etc become the call-ups.

Pie in the sky here:

Nyquist to NYI for Hamonic, flip Hamonic and 1st to Winnipeg for Trouba. Add if necessary.

Move Smith for a pick. With Kronwall on LTIR I think that leaves enough cap space.

The roll with this:

Mantha-Nielsen-Vanek
Helm-AA-Sheahan
Miller-Glendening-Ott

Fowler-Trouba
DeKeyser-Green
Ericsson-Marchenko

Maybe you have heard of this thing called a salary cap. Pretty sure that deal wouldn't work.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Maybe you have heard of this thing called a salary cap. Pretty sure that deal wouldn't work.

Yes it would.

In that scenario (which I don't really want to discuss because it's so unrealistic :laugh:):

- Moving Nyquist for Hamonic, then trading for Trouba saves 4.75M (Nyquist's hit).

- Dumping Smith saves 2.7M.

- Losing Tatar but retaining half saves about 1.3M.

- That's 8.75M there, adding Kronwall to LTIR removes another 4.75 so that's over 13M saved.

Bringing in Fowler adds 4M leaving over 9M roughly to re-sign Trouba. Say he signs for 6M, 3M left. That may not leave enough for when Kronwall's healthy, maybe Marchenko could be sent down. Either he's claimed (likely) and we clear his entire cap hit (1.4M) or we save ~900,000. Ouellet/Sproul/Russo fight over #6.

It would be cutting it very close obviously, but should only require relatively minor tweaks to make the big moves work financially.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Spaghetti, spaghetti, spaghetti...

Most people won't get that, but I laughed hard fwiw.

Pie in the sky here:

The roll with this:

Mantha-Nielsen-Vanek
Helm-AA-Sheahan
Miller-Glendening-Ott

Fowler-Trouba
DeKeyser-Green
Ericsson-Marchenko

Winnipeg has stated many times they want a LD/LHD coming back. Hamonic is neither of those things.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
So if a mouse gets an electric shock every time it reaches for a food pellet, it died of starvation due to...not being good enough at eating?

Coaches make mistakes. Sometimes they even grossly mishandle players. I'm not saying Smith shares no blame, but I do think Babcock definitely helped screw him up.

Right, but this is the endless repetition.

-Claim prospect is good and requires IT.
-Prospect comes up and is not good.
-Blame lots of stuff besides the prospect for not being good.
-Waste time arguing about unprovable what ifs.

Literally nothing Detroit demands of their players is something a good player should have a problem doing. 'Hey, fella, backcheck' should not be a command that renders a young player into a pile of unresponsive gelatinous goo. If it does, we're not talking about a good player. Nobody is demanding Mantha become an elite shutdown forward, or Smith to become Scott Bleeping Neidermayer circa Norris career. They are being asked to be vaguely competent defensively. If they cannot struggle over that low bar in order to merit NHL time, really, what are people complaining about?

Also, it's not a coaches job to elevate a player at the expense of the teams system. This isn't some progressive elementary school where little Johnny learns best by eating M and M's in the corner so we mustn't interfere. It's a collaborative effort. So, sure, maybe it might have been some small degree more individually beneficial for Brendan Smith to be given utterly free rein to roam about the ice untethered by thought or responsibility, but making Brendan Smith 9% more effective or fulfilled as a hockey player isn't the point.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Mantha seems to be tearing up the AHL right now. He should get his time up here this year. Hoping he replaces Sheahan on top line. Don't know why he's there.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Most people won't get that, but I laughed hard fwiw.

Winnipeg has stated many times they want a LD/LHD coming back. Hamonic is neither of those things.

I'm pretty sure that Cheveldayoff would do a Hamonic for Trouba swap, Seeing that Hamonic has been linked to Winnipeg. Granted that Hamonic is a RHD but he has been linked to Winnipeg and is from the area. Not sure if Snow is interested in giving Trouba all that more for what Trouba is seeking if it came down to the Isles and Jets swapping though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure that Cheveldayoff would do a Hamonic for Trouba swap, Seeing that Hamonic has been linked to Winnipeg. Granted that Hamonic is a RHD but he has been linked to Winnipeg and is from the area. Not sure if Snow is interested in giving Trouba all that more for what Trouba is seeking if it came down to the Isles and Jets swapping though.

I really can't see it. That puts one of Buff/Myers/Hamonic on the 3rd pair. None of those guys are going to want that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->