Value of: Anthony Duclair

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I was wondering what teams would offer for Anthony Duclair. He’s an RFA who made 1.65 million this past season. He’s been inconsistent in his career, but had a good year with 23 goals and 40 points.

Ottawa might not move him, but if contract talks prove to be difficult, they might move on from him.

What would you team offer for Duclair?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Floated this to you on the Sense board but I’d be interested in getting him on the Canes but just not sure what pieces make sense from either side to move for him.

Reimer might be an interesting piece for Ottawa as he is owed only $1mil in real cash once his signing bonus is paid. Obviously that wouldnt be the main asset for Ottawa but could help them in net a bit for a platoon situation.

Id think that Ottawa is generally looking at picks and prospects/young players.

We have Jake Bean as a trade chip and Carolina’s left side D is pretty crowded. Not sure I’d want to give him up in a deal for Duclair but I’d think Carolina has enough pieces to make a solid offer depending on what Ottawa is in need of.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Floated this to you on the Sense board but I’d be interested in getting him on the Canes but just not sure what pieces make sense from either side to move for him.

Reimer might be an interesting piece for Ottawa as he is owed only $1mil in real cash once his signing bonus is paid. Obviously that wouldnt be the main asset for Ottawa but could help them in net a bit for a platoon situation.

Id think that Ottawa is generally looking at picks and prospects/young players.

We have Jake Bean as a trade chip and Carolina’s left side D is pretty crowded. Not sure I’d want to give him up in a deal for Duclair but I’d think Carolina has enough pieces to make a solid offer depending on what Ottawa is in need of.

Ottawa has two goalies signed, so no need for Reimer. Picks, prospects and young roster players would be what Ottawa would be looking for.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Its pretty hard to imagine he gets much. He has 2 years where he was a productive middle 6 guy but 2 years where he was a complete ghost and fringe player. Someone might take a flyer on him but I don't know if there is enough there for anyone to give up anything too valuable.

Reactions: qqaz

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Its pretty hard to imagine he gets much. He has 2 years where he was a productive middle 6 guy but 2 years where he was a complete ghost and fringe player. Someone might take a flyer on him but I don't know if there is enough there for anyone to give up anything too valuable.

Well, his value is certainly higher now than it was when he was traded to Ottawa. He was basically a throw in since Torts didn’t like him. I’d have to think after scoring 23 goals he has some value, but he’s a guy people would have concerns with because of his inconsistent play.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Well, his value is certainly higher now than it was when he was traded to Ottawa. He was basically a throw in since Torts didn’t like him. I’d have to think after scoring 23 goals he has some value, but he’s a guy people would have concerns with because of his inconsistent play.

Its possible, although whatever his contact demands are could also quickly diminish that as well.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
if I were the sens, I would offer him 3 years, $10.5 mil total ($3.5 mil AAV). Any higher cap hit and/or longer term would make me uncomfortable for the very hot and cold nhl career he's had since breaking into the league

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
if I were the sens, I would offer him 3 years, $10.5 mil total ($3.5 mil AAV). Any higher cap hit and/or longer term would make me uncomfortable for the very hot and cold nhl career he's had since breaking into the league
If I were him I say no and just go to arbitration. I’m not sure his 14/15 season counts towards FA but if it does that means he’s a UFA next year if not he’s a UFA in 2022 when the money should flood the market post COVID, TV Deal etc

Reactions: _Del_

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If I were him I say no and just go to arbitration. I’m not sure his 14/15 season counts towards FA but if it does that means he’s a UFA next year if not he’s a UFA in 2022 when the money should flood the market post COVID, TV Deal etc

1 year deal runs the risk of him going ghost again and losing money long term

The nhl said to expect a flat cap for 2 to 3 years so I would guess he at least signs for 3 years to gain some security while having an opportunity to cash in again when cap starts going back up

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I read on the Sens board a few months back they expected $4.5 per on a 2-3 year deal. Is that still the expectation? If so I wouldn’t offer anything but a middling return and cap coming back. He was tearing it up and then went 20+ games with only a single goal. For a top 6 tweener who’s moved around I just can’t see truly offering much value for him

Reactions: FireGorton

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
1 year show us again deal....Is what Ottawa needs to do here,Iam not sure enough if he is a good player or just one on a very bad team

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I read on the Sens board a few months back they expected $4.5 per on a 2-3 year deal. Is that still the expectation? If so I wouldn’t offer anything but a middling return and cap coming back. He was tearing it up and then went 20+ games with only a single goal. For a top 6 tweener who’s moved around I just can’t see truly offering much value for him
Agreed,he has no real value...So Ottawa should just give him a short deal and see if he can do it again

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Agreed,he has no real value...So Ottawa should just give him a short deal and see if he can do it again

Probably the smart play. Or spend the money in UFA on a more proven player. If he’d sign a prove it deal then he’s worth retaining. I just see people mentioning potential 30 goal scorer and think outside of Ottawa where he’s had limited success he’s as likely to struggle to hit double digits in goals.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Probably the smart play. Or spend the money in UFA on a more proven player. If he’d sign a prove it deal then he’s worth retaining. I just see people mentioning potential 30 goal scorer and think outside of Ottawa where he’s had limited success he’s as likely to struggle to hit double digits in goals.
I liked his speed from the 3rd line on the PK,where he was playing with Brown and JGP ....Maybe his value lies there,as a speedy PKer with some production...But yeah no sense in giving him a huge deal right now for sure

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
1 year show us again deal....Is what Ottawa needs to do here,Iam not sure enough if he is a good player or just one on a very bad team
He’s a good player who scores goals. He is a secondary option but he’s a Thomas Vanek type

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
so arbitration gives him a one year award for maybe slightly higher AAV then he still enters a market with flat cap and likely lower interest if he screws himself (a-la lablanc) and now he continues on as a journeyman on one year prove it deals?

take the security and he can still cash in three years later when the cap rebounds if he has confidence in himself

I don't know what you honestly think arbitration will award him based on his resume but I think you're looking at like $4 mil tops

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
so arbitration gives him a one year award for maybe slightly higher AAV then he still enters a market with flat cap and likely lower interest if he screws himself (a-la lablanc) and now he continues on as a journeyman on one year prove it deals?

take the security and he can still cash in three years later when the cap rebounds if he has confidence in himself

I don't know what you honestly think arbitration will award him based on his resume but I think you're looking at like $4 mil tops
Not the same situation at all...... Where did you read arbitration is taking COVID as a factor? I see him taking 4 million per for 2 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->