Player Discussion Anthony Duclair

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I'm from he show me state on this claim. Until he does it .. I say nah.. not going to happen. Very hard to do.

I agree with that as well

He played that role on previous teams (Rangers/Arizona/Columbus) and he wasn't producing as much though. But he's a very good option there I agree.

I don’t think he was as mature as he is now... that skating in this league and shot... 40 might be pushing it but I think he strings together a few 30+ G seasons

I like his game in this league

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think the Sens will qualify him, but they will sign a cheapish 1 year contract, maybe in the 2.5M range.

If he goes to arbitration, he might get a great settlement. I think his second half hurt his bargaining position with Ottawa, but ultimately they will still offer him more than a different team will if he hits unrestricted free agency through not being qualified.

Sens will be afraid of arbitration since he has good on paper stats. I hope they keep him, since we don't have a lot of skill, but I'd be shocked of this is the summer he gets his long term contract from Ottawa.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I don't think the Sens will qualify him, but they will sign a cheapish 1 year contract, maybe in the 2.5M range.

If he goes to arbitration, he might get a great settlement. I think his second half hurt his bargaining position with Ottawa, but ultimately they will still offer him more than a different team will if he hits unrestricted free agency through not being qualified.

Sens will be afraid of arbitration since he has good on paper stats. I hope they keep him, since we don't have a lot of skill, but I'd be shocked of this is the summer he gets his long term contract from Ottawa.

I think the Sens may have to go $4+ with him to give up his ARB or UFA pathway.

This team is giving White $4.75, CT probably close to $4 etc. To turn to DUC and says your worth half those guys to is a slap in the face and they should let him walk.

If they do one year at $4-5 million the Sens can decide if they want to qualify him or trade him at the TDL.

Reactions: Beville and aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don’t see Duclair as a core piece but would like to keep him for a couple years. With the NHL cap realities and high escrow next year, I wonder if a 3 year 3M, 4M, 6M deal would get it done. If he has a bad season we could expose him to Seattle. 3 years with an AAV 4.33M. Thoughts ?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like Duclair .. He is very much on the fence to hang on to imo. I realize he can drive play better than several of the prospects , last year. We need them to drive play

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada

IMO, they will try to go 3-5 yrs for both Brown & Duclair, to have some vets around the young guys coming in the next few years

The question is, what are these guys worth with that kind of term?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
IMO, they will try to go 3-5 yrs for both Brown & Duclair, to have some vets around the young guys coming in the next few years

I think we also have to look at what their role would ideally be if the rebuild is successful in 3 years. If they are bottom 6 we have to be careful of overpaying for them for a 5 year term. Short term no problem.

Reactions: aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Based on the value these guys provide to the team, internal salary structure, and comps it’s hard not to suggest $4.5- 6 million.

You can’t play the crap out of these guys than tell them they are worth half of what the guys doing nothing get paid.

Reactions: DrEasy

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

At most, I think they go 2 years with Duclair to cost control him against a wild arbitration ruling in any of his final 2 RFA years.

I think they probably go 1 year though. I don't think they intend to commit long term to Duclair. By going 1 year instead of 2, Duclair becomes a more flexible asset because despite having an RFA year left after 2021, he can still be traded as a rental to a team who doesn't have 2022 cap space.

It also leaves it open for Ottawa to keep+extend him in 2021, or a team to acquire him at the deadline as more than a rental. As I said, more flexibility.

If they don't lock him down this season, they never will be convinced to. If they believe in him, he is only going to get more expensive to lock down the longer they wait.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Based on the value these guys provide to the team, internal salary structure, and comps it’s hard not to suggest $4.5- 6 million.

You can’t play the crap out of these guys than tell them they are worth half of what the guys doing nothing get paid.
Sure you can

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I like Duclair .. He is very much on the fence to hang on to imo. I realize he can drive play better than several of the prospects , last year. We need them to drive play

I do not like one dimensional players like Duclair, north-south, speed, shot. Bad in defensive zone coverage. No cycle support. Anyone with some talent and Duclair has some is a star in Ottawa. We are pathetic this way. From
Matt Duchene to Duclair. Are you kidding me? Can not wait to feast my eyes on the way Stutzle and Raymond play or at least Byfield and Drysdale.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa

And why the posters here overvalue him so much? May be management knows better?..........30 goals, it is a lot on his body, the way he plays the game. He will be out of gas a few times during the season and that's why Torts was reaping him mercilessly. He is a huge liability, when he takes a few games off. And it looks like he is not adapting to more settled cycle game. I think if we draft Byfield, who likes to rush the puck will be better suited for Duclair or Duclair for him.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Id like to see duclair on a line with formenton. DAT FORECHECK!!!

Formenton's forward skating is absolutely superb, because he has the right figure skating skills, to push a blade more straight and it makes it effortless for him. It is a very hard skill to learn. Only a few players in a leagues could skate like this.
I was reading that Kulagin was punishing those players with endless running around the rink, who would not properly straight blade themselves. He would probably kill now the whole league for this. I want to see what would happened if Byfield will centre Formenton and Duclair. So much speed.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think we also have to look at what their role would ideally be if the rebuild is successful in 3 years. If they are bottom 6 we have to be careful of overpaying for them for a 5 year term. Short term no problem.

I laughed when I read this ... an incredibly ironic position to hear you defend.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO they should sign Duclair for two yrs, next yr could be another write off for this team & the following yr could be when some of the prospects start to challenge for roster spots. At that point, they could move him at the deadline & acquire some assets back or keep him if he has improved & become consistent at both ends of the ice. I don't think he is a long range solution but he is a good transition piece & good enough to return a good asset or two.

C. Brown is in a similar situation IMO, a good transition piece that could return a decent asset if or when a prospect is NHL ready & pushes him out of his role or challenges him for his spot. Tierny should be in this position this yr as one of L. Brown or Norris should make him expendable.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
IMO they should sign Duclair for two yrs, next yr could be another write off for this team & the following yr could be when some of the prospects start to challenge for roster spots. At that point, they could move him at the deadline & acquire some assets back or keep him if he has improved & become consistent at both ends of the ice. I don't think he is a long range solution but he is a good transition piece & good enough to return a good asset or two.

C. Brown is in a similar situation IMO, a good transition piece that could return a decent asset if or when a prospect is NHL ready & pushes him out of his role or challenges him for his spot. Tierny should be in this position this yr as one of L. Brown or Norris should make him expendable.
We cant have a whole lineup of rookies though. Otherwise we could end up being Edmonton 2.0 Out of all the "vets" on the sens C Brown is the guy I would want to keep around long term to lead the team and mentor a good defensive style game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We cant have a whole lineup of rookies though. Otherwise we could end up being Edmonton 2.0 Out of all the "vets" on the sens C Brown is the guy I would want to keep around long term to lead the team and mentor a good defensive style game.
Well they won't, the young guys that are there now get older & how many yrs in the league do you need before you have learned the ropes. Chabot, White, Paul & Tkachuk seem to have learned the ropes, next yr Wollanin, Batherson & a few others will have learned the ropes, the yr after that a few more as they slowly replace older players with newer players & guys like Chabot, White, Paul & Tkachuk become the older players on the roster. Duclair & C. Brown should be there for the next few yrs until a rookie gets good enough to replace them. I think C. Brown could be here the longest of those players who may not be part of the future team. This doesn't happen over night it takes several yrs & there are always trades that bring in a certain kind of player that the team may be missing & usually that's a veteran guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JungleBeat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad