Player Discussion Anthony Duclair

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I'm all for giving Duke at least two years. The thing is, even if he doesn't gel with a top line center or winger, he is the kind of guy who generates scoring chances on his own and can do so with an average center. So if in two years, he's on a 3rd line with the likes of Tierney and say, Paul or Formenton, that could be a line that gives us some pop offensively as a 3rd line. And it was so great to see Duke on the PK this year, because he developed that part of his game and was a threat out there. Having he and Tierney as our first PK unit and part of a two unit rotation makes sense going forward. I think it's pretty clear we want him for at least two years, even if his production levels off at 25 goals and he remains streaky.

The other thing is, we are building a team with a lot of pass-first guys. Tkachuk is actually a better play maker from the wing, than scorer. Same with Batherson (although both are balanced, and can be scorers too). But in the top 6 of the draft, most of those forwards are pass first too, unless the Sens have Hotlz or Quinn in their top 6 (possible). But Laf, Byfield, Stuzle, Rossi and Perfetti are all elite passers. So we're going to add another elite playmaker in our top 6, possibly two. Logan Brown is totally pass first as well. This means having shoot first wingers like Duclair and Formenton are important.

The good news is Norris has great scoring instincts and while he can pass to and is relatively balanced offensively, he seems like a bit more of a pure scorer than elite play maker. As such, he could gel really well with some of our wingers. Same with Pinto, who is even more of a pure scorer than setup man.

Either way, having Duke in the mix in our top 9 for the next 2-3 years is important I think.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I would give C. Brown, Tierny and Duclair identical 3 year deals @ 4M per. All three are maturing into hard working pros which will set a great example for the youngsters that are coming.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I would give C. Brown, Tierny and Duclair identical 3 year deals @ 4M per. All three are maturing into hard working pros which will set a great example for the youngsters that are coming.
I was hoping we would have better C options that CT within the next 1-2 years.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Keep C Brown and Duclair.

Tierney should be gone.

Id keep him for 1-2 years hoping can hold down 1-3C spots as needed while 20201RD, Norris, Brown, Pinto, Chaplik continue to develop. Hopefully he gets us a 2-3RD pick at the TDL.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Keep C Brown and Duclair.

Tierney should be gone.

I don't see how we can get rid of Tierney with Pageau gone. We had one of the weakest center ice spots in the league before we traded Pageau. Tierney is likely our top center right now and also our top PKer. Counting on rookies at center ice is dangerous at the best of times, but especially so when you can't shield them in match-ups. We'll have decent depth at center in a few years, but right now we need a solid two-way guy like Tierney, and he could also end up being a terrific 3rd center as our team turns into a playoff contender again. Depends on salary of course on whether you want to keep him, but he is young, solid and a bit of a swiss army knife in terms of where you can use him. I think Smith will use him for all of the tough match-ups next year, which is not an enviable job, but Tierney can at least be competent in that roll while preventing us from throwing a guy like White into that situation who could completely lose his confidence in that role.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I don't see how we can get rid of Tierney with Pageau gone. We had one of the weakest center ice spots in the league before we traded Pageau. Tierney is likely our top center right now and also our top PKer. Counting on rookies at center ice is dangerous at the best of times, but especially so when you can't shield them in match-ups. We'll have decent depth at center in a few years, but right now we need a solid two-way guy like Tierney, and he could also end up being a terrific 3rd center as our team turns into a playoff contender again. Depends on salary of course on whether you want to keep him, but he is young, solid and a bit of a swiss army knife in terms of where you can use him. I think Smith will use him for all of the tough match-ups next year, which is not an enviable job, but Tierney can at least be competent in that roll while preventing us from throwing a guy like White into that situation who could completely lose his confidence in that role.
Run with White and Brown in the top 2 slots and Anisimov at 3c.

No problem with Paul at 4C.

We need to find out what Brown can do.

Next season is a right off anyway.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Run with White and Brown in the top 2 slots and Anisimov at 3c.

No problem with Paul at 4C.

We need to find out what Brown can do.

Next season is a right off anyway.
DJ absolutely cringes at that idea. CT is unfortunately (currently) better than those 3 players.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
DJ absolutely cringes at that idea. CT is unfortunately (currently) better than those 3 players.
Who gives a crap about who is currently better?

Tierney is not part of the future.

Brown and Norris might be.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Not to further derail the Duclair thread, but interesting how quickly people turn on Tierney. I don't really get it and don't see how he can't be a great middle 6 center for us for the medium to long-term.

Tierney is only 25 and has a better scoring resume than Duclair, Brown or even Pageau at the same age, I mean he's been a 40-50 point guy as a depth center for three straight years. Doesn't get much PP time and plays a great two-way game too. I totally get he doesn't wow you on the ice, but neither did Pageau. But more importantly, he is a good center, which takes longer to acclimatize. I mean White is still trying to figure it out and he has had his confidence hit hard by being pushed a bit too early. Some think he's can't handle it and should just go winger. People wanting L Brown and Norris in primary center spots right away is risky and not great for their development. Wingers can hide a bit and ride their center, but young centers get eaten up a bit more if pressed too early and expected to take the tougher matchups. The extra responsibility they have without the puck, and the expectations to drive play when your team has it can make it tough on the young guys if you don't have a few vets to bare the brunt of it. Think about divisional matchups at center too - it's a tough road going against all those elite pivots. I personally think we need Tierney in the years ahead. He is better in virtually every aspect of the game than Anisimov, who we only have for one more year (which is about right) and having him as our veteran center with the younger guys in 2021 and beyond still makes sense to me. He can always be moved if it becomes a position of abundance, but we're a long way from that.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
There is no way he does not have a 40G season in him

maybe a couple to be honest

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He did.

He also had 21 goals on December 22nd in his 38th game, then 2 in his next 28.

Will he be scoring 12 goals in a 2.5 week span as he did this past December again? Not likely.

He was playing through foot pain at the turn of the year... I’ll give him a pass cause his production drastically dropped after that injury that caused him to miss the Bolts game

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Dude had 23 in 66... Pageau the clubs best center

To be fair on a better team he wouldn't be playing on a top line. On most teams he's a middle six winger.

Pageau had a career year too, and he played with him and Tkachuk for most of the season. The output he had this year, in a year where he was scoring way above his average, is likely close to what you'll see in his best years.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
To be fair on a better team he wouldn't be playing on a top line. On most teams he's a middle six winger.

Pageau had a career year too, and he played with him and Tkachuk for most of the season.

I agree and I feel if we had a better RW he’d feast on second and third pair defensemen

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I agree and I feel if we had a better RW he’d feast on second and third pair defensemen

He played that role on previous teams (Rangers/Arizona/Columbus) and he wasn't producing as much though. But he's a very good option there I agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad