Player Discussion Anthony Duclair

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Duclair helps the rebuild. If he turned a corner and finally establishes himself as a top-6 forward, he’s young enough to be part of the core going forward. If not, he can be at least a middle-6 scorer with some value and we get a valuable asset or two for him before he goes into his UFA years.

Tkachuk-Brown-Batherson : this line has the potential to be a legit 1st line, each of them has a sky is the limit potential. We are already seeing what Tkachuk will become, it’s just in his blood. Batherson has the « it » factor, a development curve remeniscent of Mark Stone. Brown has a incredible skillset and playing between those 2 guys will help him reach his potential.

Duclair-Norris-White : Formenton could also be the guy on the LW but if Duclair is finally breaking out, he adds serious scoring potential on that line. White and Norris will be very complete players, smart all over the ice. They should help Duclair defensive game. That line would be super fast with a pretty good skill level for a 2nd line.

Formenton-Chlapik-Balcers : it’s a bit unknown at this point what they could do but imagine getting 3 guys who could put 35-45 pts from the 3rd line. Another fast line with very good skill level for a 3rd line

Paul-Pageau-Davidsson : those guys would be the main PK guys and would be in charge of the main defensive assignments. Another pretty fast line. For that line I don’t the guys with the most offensive potential but guys that can keep the puck away from our zone and do a bit of everything.

Wild cards : Abramov, Veronneau, Crookshank, Gruden, Luchuk, Kelly, Nurmi : those guys will have to do really good to beat the guys in the lineup above. If there’s no spot and some deserve to be in the NHL then packaging multiple assets for a star player will have to happen. Dorion is stockpiling quality assets so it could be advantageous down the line. Something will have to give because a massive logjam is coming up.

To be traded in the near future : Tierney, Boedker, Ryan, Smith : expensive vets, already declining, losing speed. I know Tierney is younger but IMO he shouldn’t be a core piece and be traded at his peak value. The other 3 guys are placeholders for now

Defense : DeMelo is there because he plays solid and fits with Chabot. They need a first pairing RHD so hopefully they come out with a few very good prospects at that position in the next 2 drafts (focus should be high offensive potential centers and RHDs)

Chabot-DeMelo
Brännström-JBD
Wolanin-Jaros
Lajoie, Tychonick

To be traded in the near future : Ceci, Harpur, Borowiecki : placeholders while the young guys develop.

Goalies : Nilsson (will he be signed?), Hogberg, Daccord, Gustavsson, Mandolese

To be traded in the near future : Anderson (nearing retirement)

Potential among goalies is there, hard to say what will happen for now. May the 2 best wins

Overall, hard to not like the potential of this team and with many high picks in the next 2 drafts and a very good drafting record, the future might be brighter than Sens haters seem to think. Of course, that’s if finances don’t become a problem once again and Melnyk decides to sell in a not too distant future
You always put a lot of thought into your work. Thank You.
I think people like Gibbons, Duclair, etc will be here at least next year so that Norris, Brown, Formenton and that level are in Belleville. Its is important to build a culture of winning. The group in Ottawa next year will become numbed with loosing. I just hope that Chabot, Wolanin, Jaros etc can understand that in 2020-2021 the group will be completely different.

And yes, Anderson, Smith, Boedker, Paajarvi, Ceci should be moved along.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Gives you the feeling they could be developing something great. How long till you have this lineup?

I agree with your first line, but I have doubts that Brown can become a true 1C. I think he is highly skilled with good vision and IQ. Just not convinced he has the compete and skating, also hoping injuries don’t derail his career.

Haven’t seen enough of Norris to say he is a 2nd line C, but he could interchange with White. Duclair would be a good finisher.

Chlapik is a question mark for me, hopefully another year in the ahl being the man will help.

Paul has done well since January but I wonder if that is because of Brown and Batherson. Not sure he can translate his current success on a 4th line. Verroneau might be a good substitute if Paul can’t translate.

Abramov could be a good 2nd or 3rd line replacement.

Agree with the D and goalie.

(9 guys) Tkachuk, White, Duclair, Pageau, Chabot, DeMelo, Jaros, Lajoie (was sent down because of injuries and to probably save on his NHL salary lol), Nilsson (if signed) are already NHL players, they just need to continue progressing or raising their level of play.

(5 guys) Balcers, Wolanin, Hogberg, Paul and Davidsson are on the verge of becoming full-time NHL players (Davidsson almost made the Jackets last year). It remains to be seen if Paul and Hogberg can stick but it'll depend on the depth in front of them.

(4 guys) Brown, Batherson, Brannstrom and Chlapik have been kept in the AHL for more development time but they're very close to be NHL ready, should be there full time next year.

(4 guys) Norris, Formenton, Daccord and Bernard-Docker haven't turned pro yet but who knows how much development time they'll need? We'll have to wait training camp to see how far they are. Maybe Formenton makes it right away. Norris is possible too. JBD will be back in college at least another year and Daccord will turn pro.

(3 guys) Tychonick, Gustavsson and Mandolese are clearly the guys who are the farthest away. They need development time for sure. They are still very young and raw

Regarding your points :

- Yes injuries are a concern for Brown, but it is the case for most players. Look at the giant Cowen was, his career still got derailed by injuries. He looked very promising based on his junior career, AHL time and NHL rookie season. Brown has NHL skating, it's not a worry as long as he keeps progressing. And the problem is not "compete" (taller players always look lazier or less competitive), it's that he has to find ways to be more involved in the play, thing he has done a lot more IMO in the AHL after he came back from injury.

- yeah for now Norris is not a guaranteed thing at the NHL level, but based on his pedigree and development curve plus outstanding athleticism, I think he turns out at least a top-9 player. I personally think he ends up better than White but it's an opinion. Worse case scenario if he doesn't then you could have Formenton-White-Duclair as your 2nd line (let's not forget more changes will happen and some other prospects will get drafted)

- Chlapik has everything to be a full-time NHLer but he's still just 21 years old. Not a big deal at all if he hasn't turned a full-time NHLer yet. But it's normal to have question marks. He's another guy who have been slowed down by a few injuries too

- Paul could have been in the NHL as grinder already. He hasn't stick yet but under Boucher things became messy and unstructured so it's naive to become decisive about any player that has player under that regime. From what I have seen and reports of his play in the AHL, sure it helps to play with the B's but he has been very strong too. And we shouldn't put top-6 expectations on him, we just need him to be the "perfect 4th liner", that has more value than people think. And like you said, worse case scenario there'll be some other guys to fall back on if he doesn't work out.

- Abramov is probably the most obscure and unsure Sens prospect, at least among those who already turned pro. High talent level, could turn out really good but size and skating are a concern and might hold him back. We'll have to wait and see.

Couldn't agree more about that top line. I think if there's any chance Brown becomes a 1C, it's gonna be between Tkachuk and Batherson. He needs to play on a high energy line, and we know Brady brings that. We've seen his chemistry with Batherson as well. I would play that line next year. Then after we draft Lafreniere we can play Brady with Norris and Duclair (this is a pretty good 2nd line) and let Alexis dominate with Brown and Bath :yo:

Regardless, this team needs to keep Duclair. Dorion's best trade ever, he can't ruin it by not keeping him.

Yeah, Brown is a bit like Ryan (or Spezza), he needs to play with high skill dynamic players. That's what will make his skill-set more efficient. That's always the case with high skill finesse players.

If we draft Lafreniere, then lol

Tkachuk-Brown-Batherson
Lafreniere-Norris-White
Formenton-Chlapik-Duclair/Balcers
Paul-Pageau-Davidsson

with Balcers, Abramov, Veronneau, Crookshank, Gruden and new drafted prospects pushing behind. I suspect some guys would be traded by then because of the massive upcoming logjam.

No worries about Duclair, he's under the Sens control. They should sign him to a 2 years bridge contract, which would bring to his last RFA year, then you either trade him for a decent/good/great asset or sign him long-term to be part of your core.

You always put a lot of thought into your work. Thank You.
I think people like Gibbons, Duclair, etc will be here at least next year so that Norris, Brown, Formenton and that level are in Belleville. Its is important to build a culture of winning. The group in Ottawa next year will become numbed with loosing. I just hope that Chabot, Wolanin, Jaros etc can understand that in 2020-2021 the group will be completely different.

And yes, Anderson, Smith, Boedker, Paajarvi, Ceci should be moved along.

Thanks it's appreciated.

I agree that players should not be gradated until they're really ready. Next year will be another transitional season for that and some players will be stop gaps until youngsters are ready to graduate. It remains to be seen if Duclair will be a stop gap or become a core player, impossible to say right now.

I know most expect the Sens to lose a lot again next year but I'm not 100% sure yet. It really depends what happens with coaching and goaltending.

Boucher was fired on March 1st and since then, the Sens have a 6-8-1 record, 43 GF and 49 GA. It's nothing spectacular but it's AFTER the 3 best forwards were gone and they faced some pretty good teams too. I'm not saying you should expect them to do well over a full year or make the playoffs but I've seen stranger things than it would be for them to not finish bottom-5. Heck, I thought the Habs were going to be bottom-3 based on their roster but their coaching staff makes them probably the hardest working team in the NHL and very structured for a team that has a worse defense than the Sens on paper. Plus, they have Carey Price to mask deficiencies.

So I'm just saying people shouldn't take a top-4 pick for granted. It's likely at this point but people could be disappointed. That's why the timing of rebuilding didn't make sense (as they didn't have their 1st this year), should have just traded Mike Hoffman for help at defense and go all in with Karlsson, Chabot, Stone, Duchene, etc. Of course, a coaching change and goaltending help was imperative and should have make them good enough to fight for the playoffs. Then, if it doesn't work, you sell at the deadline and rebuild.

However, that being said, it's a dangerous game, could be in the hunt for a playoff spot with pending UFAs and can't trade them, like the Jackets.

Last edited:

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
(9 guys) Tkachuk, White, Duclair, Pageau, Chabot, DeMelo, Jaros, Lajoie (was sent down because of injuries and to probably save on his NHL salary lol), Nilsson (if signed) are already NHL players, they just need to continue progressing or raising their level of play.

(5 guys) Balcers, Wolanin, Hogberg, Paul and Davidsson are on the verge of becoming full-time NHL players (Davidsson almost made the Jackets last year). It remains to be seen if Paul and Hogberg can stick but it'll depend on the depth in front of them.

(4 guys) Brown, Batherson, Brannstrom and Chlapik have been kept in the AHL for more development time but they're very close to be NHL ready, should be there full time next year.

(4 guys) Norris, Formenton, Daccord and Bernard-Docker haven't turned pro yet but who knows how much development time they'll need? We'll have to wait training camp to see how far they are. Maybe Formenton makes it right away. Norris is possible too. JBD will be back in college at least another year and Daccord will turn pro.

(3 guys) Tychonick, Gustavsson and Mandolese are clearly the guys who are the farthest away. They need development time for sure. They are still very young and raw

Regarding your points :

- Yes injuries are a concern for Brown, but it is the case for most players. Look at the giant Cowen was, his career still got derailed by injuries. He looked very promising based on his junior career, AHL time and NHL rookie season. Brown has NHL skating, it's not a worry as long as he keeps progressing. And the problem is not "compete" (taller players always look lazier or less competitive), it's that he has to find ways to be more involved in the play, thing he has done a lot more IMO in the AHL after he came back from injury.

- yeah for now Norris is not a guaranteed thing at the NHL level, but based on his pedigree and development curve plus outstanding athleticism, I think he turns out at least a top-9 player. I personally think he ends up better than White but it's an opinion. Worse case scenario if he doesn't then you could have Formenton-White-Duclair as your 2nd line (let's not forget more changes will happen and some other prospects will get drafted)

- Chlapik has everything to be a full-time NHLer but he's still just 21 years old. Not a big deal at all if he hasn't turned a full-time NHLer yet. But it's normal to have question marks. He's another guy who have been slowed down by a few injuries too

- Paul could have been in the NHL as grinder already. He hasn't stick yet but under Boucher things became messy and unstructured so it's naive to become decisive about any player that has player under that regime. From what I have seen and reports of his play in the AHL, sure it helps to play with the B's but he has been very strong too. And we shouldn't put top-6 expectations on him, we just need him to be the "perfect 4th liner", that has more value than people think. And like you said, worse case scenario there'll be some other guys to fall back on if he doesn't work out.

- Abramov is probably the most obscure and unsure Sens prospect, at least among those who already turned pro. High talent level, could turn out really good but size and skating are a concern and might hold him back. We'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, Brown is a bit like Ryan (or Spezza), he needs to play with high skill dynamic players. That's what will make his skill-set more efficient. That's always the case with high skill finesse players.

If we draft Lafreniere, then lol

Tkachuk-Brown-Batherson
Lafreniere-Norris-White
Formenton-Chlapik-Duclair/Balcers
Paul-Pageau-Davidsson

with Balcers, Abramov, Veronneau, Crookshank, Gruden and new drafted prospects pushing behind. I suspect some guys would be traded by then because of the massive upcoming logjam.

No worries about Duclair, he's under the Sens control. They should sign him to a 2 years bridge contract, which would bring to his last RFA year, then you either trade him for a decent/good/great asset or sign him long-term to be part of your core.

Thanks for laying out your vision of where the team goes and a time line, I have some pretty similar thoughts (that's usually not a good thing). I was looking at shoring up RD with Seider this year, and trying to get a high end C with cap dumps and moving some pieces, Boedker, Ceci, and Smith, but we may want to look at acquiring more 2020 picks so just going for Seider this year would be fine. 2020 is supposed to be a very good draft, I assume we will have at least a top 5 pick, along with SJ 1st and CBJ (if Duchene signs). We also have 3 2nds. Any thoughts on who or what you would look at from the drafts?

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thanks for laying out your vision of where the team goes and a time line, I have some pretty similar thoughts (that's usually not a good thing). I was looking at shoring up RD with Seider this year, and trying to get a high end C with cap dumps and moving some pieces, Boedker, Ceci, and Smith, but we may want to look at acquiring more 2020 picks so just going for Seider this year would be fine. 2020 is supposed to be a very good draft, I assume we will have at least a top 5 pick, along with SJ 1st and CBJ (if Duchene signs). We also have 3 2nds. Any thoughts on who or what you would look at from the drafts?

They should target RHD with top pairing potential and Centers with high offensive potential; or just BPA if there's a big enough gap.with the next guy on their list.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I bet he outperforms White - no idea why we squeeze him sub $2 but give White twice as much.

If Duclair scores 25G/45 pts do we throw $4.75 at him ?

That is more offence than I expect to see from White and less Defence ?

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I would not sign Duclair for more than 2 years even if he scores 30. I'd rather see him leave as a UFA/trade than being stuck with a bad contract as our 39 prospects are pushing for NHL spots.

The risk is too big.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He'll price himself out of town almost guaranteed.

Doubt it. He'll still be an RFA after this season.

I also don't see how other teams will want to take a chance on him considering his checkered past. Also, if he does really well this season, others will just chalk it up as playing lots of minutes on a crappy team. Duclair will have no leverage.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Duclair will have to learn to finish consistently like a Hoffman to stick. He is clearly a very skilled player, but as a number of coaches have indicated he has all the tools but no tool box, so it must mean something. We'll see, but he is not on my future team.

Byfield - L. Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - C. Brown
Formenton - Norris - Ryan
Paul - Chlapik - Pinto/Kastelic

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Thomson
Wolanin - JBD/Lajoie

Nilsson - Hogberg/Gustavsson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
IMO Duclair will have to learn to finish consistently like a Hoffman to stick. He is clearly a very skilled player, but as a number of coaches have indicated he has all the tools but no tool box, so it must mean something. We'll see, but he is not on my future team.

Byfield - L. Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - C. Brown
Formenton - Norris - Ryan
Paul - Chlapik - Pinto/Kastelic

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Thomson
Wolanin - JBD/Lajoie

Nilsson - Hogberg/Gustavsson

Byfield plays C.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Byfield plays C.
He can play both & most young guys coming into the league start off on the wing. Maybe he eventually goes to centre but he could very well stay on the wing as we have seen dozens of centres who come into the league do. Paul, Kelly & Batherson are all former centres who have moved to the wing.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He can play both & most young guys coming into the league start off on the wing. Maybe he eventually goes to centre but he could very well stay on the wing as we have seen dozens of centres who come into the league do. Paul, Kelly & Batherson are all former centres who have moved to the wing.

Possible for sure. Players play all over anyway (especially 18 year olds in the NHL) but I would think he would see a lot of his developmental time at center. I don't recall Yashin, Spezza, or even Bonk playing much wing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Possible for sure. Players play all over anyway (especially 18 year olds in the NHL) but I would think he would see a lot of his developmental time at center. I don't recall Yashin, Spezza, or even Bonk playing much wing.
That's a good point but with L. Brown, White, Norris slotted at centre he could start on a 4th line like Couturier did or he could start on a scoring line on the wing which IMO would be better for his confidence. We'll see, I just hope we end up drafting him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That's a good point but with L. Brown, White, Norris slotted at centre he could start on a 4th line like Couturier did or he could start on a scoring line on the wing which IMO would be better for his confidence. We'll see, I just hope we end up drafting him.

YES PLEASE.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

All he has to do is keep playing like he is - I don't need to him to atone for past mistakes with other teams/coaches to prove he is a solid player for us.

He plays fast and hard while generating a lot of good looks at the net so he is definitely part of my team if he continues his play all season long. I am very hopeful we found a gem in the rough with him and that the stars are aligning for him as a future NHLer.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
All he has to do is keep playing like he is - I don't need to him to atone for past mistakes with other teams/coaches to prove he is a solid player for us.

He plays fast and hard while generating a lot of good looks at the net so he is definitely part of my team if he continues his play all season long. I am very hopeful we found a gem in the rough with him and that the stars are aligning for him as a future NHLer.
You may be right & most coaches will find a spot on the roster for a good player they like& I think he is on the team for most of this yr, if not all of it. However, with all of the assets/prospects Ottawa has coming IMO it's just a matter of time before he is passed on the depth chart unless he starts to score consistently, something he has been unable to do anywhere he has played in the NHL. He has shown this side of his play before & he has failed to be consistent scoring & if he isn't scoring he isn't do much of anything else either. We'll see.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You may be right & most coaches will find a spot on the roster for a good player they like& I think he is on the team for most of this yr, if not all of it. However, with all of the assets/prospects Ottawa has coming IMO it's just a matter of time before he is passed on the depth chart unless he starts to score consistently, something he has been unable to do anywhere he has played in the NHL. He has shown this side of his play before & he has failed to be consistent scoring & if he isn't scoring he isn't do much of anything else either. We'll see.

Not many of our prospects if any have shown what duclair has shown since coming to Ottawa. We're gonna have to have a lot of prospects break out into top players before he doesn't have a spot on this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If Duclair puts up top 6 numbers (20+ goals/50+ points), do you flip him at the deadline as a rental for a 2nd round pick (maybe with a small plus), or do you re-sign him to a 4 year contract at 4.5 million?

He technically has 1 RFA year left, but he could still be viewed as a rental at the deadline since the team acquiring him would have the option of making him a rental via not qualifying him. A team tight to the cap may want him as a rental because he'll have arbitration rights if qualified, a team with more cap room might want him as a longer term piece.

Reactions: aragorn

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
If Duclair puts up top 6 numbers (20+ goals/50+ points), do you flip him at the deadline as a rental for a 2nd round pick (maybe with a small plus), or do you re-sign him to a 4 year contract at 4.5 million?

He technically has 1 RFA year left, but he could still be viewed as a rental at the deadline since the team acquiring him would have the option of making him a rental via not qualifying him. A team tight to the cap may want him as a rental because he'll have arbitration rights if qualified, a team with more cap room might want him as a longer term piece.
I sign him. No young show ability like him now

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->