Anthony DeAnglo VS Nick Ebert

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Nick Ebert played a full season in the USHL at 15 and now Anthony DeAnglo is doingthe same thing. DeAngelo is actually the to youngest player to ever play in the USHL. What do you guys think about these two? And I've seen some people say that Ebert could develop into a franchise d-men, Do you think Anthony DeAnglo can do the same. Any info would be great

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
As for a lot of young USA prospects, I'd look to AmericanDream or William H Bonney for their opinion.

They've both played in the USHL at a crazy young age, playing substantial minutes to boot. From what I've heard Ebert is the safer of the two, whereas DeAngelo has the higher ceiling. Again, this is only something I've read and I've never seen DeAngelo play so take it for what it's worth.

As for Ebert, I've been more than impressed since he's come to the OHL. He was pretty well the consensus best player available last draft and is showing why with his rookie thus far. More than halfway through the year, Ebert is 1st in Rookie Dman scoring, 2nd in scoring for 94s and 8th in scoring for all Dmen. He's having an incredible year and should be looked at for the top spot next year, depending on how he preforms without Ryan Ellis and progresses overall.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
very interesting topic, that I somehow missed!!!

I am going to throw a third in here, and his name is Steve Santini.

It is kind of unfair to compare Ebert against DeAngelo as Ebert is a 2012 draft pick, and DeAngelo is a 2014 draft pick. That is a big difference when it comes to time in development for these kids. Steve Santini is a 2013 pick, so thats why I added him in here to bridge that gap.

Nick Ebert:

Probably the most smooth and polished young American defender that I have seen in a long long time (maybe back to Ryan Suter days). Ebert plays the game on both sides of the puck at an above average level. His vision, skating, and playmaking are all on par with what Cam Fowler was like last year. His shot, grit, willingness to hit, defensive play, and strength are all above what Fowler had last year. So he is pretty much a more well rounded version of Cam Fowler. If Fowler had Ebert's all around game, he would have gone #2 or #3 last year.

Ebert is just one of those kids that sees the game differently then the rest. He is the top defensive player for the 2012 draft currently, and is making a case for the top player overall for this draft (depending on the dreaded Russian factor). He should easily make the US WJC squad next season, and that might open more eyes to him that havent had the pleasure of watching him. He is a franchise defenseman at this point.

Steve Santini:

I am not sure there is a more tantilizing young defensive prospect out there that I have had more high hopes for this early on then Santini. The kid just simply has it. At 6'3 220lb he is a rushing, offensive minded puck moving dman. Thats right, this manchild isnt a shutdown defendor, he actually attacks and attacks and attacks. There just simply isnt many like him. Santini just has a monster shot that very few goalies seem to be able to stop; ever. Every single scout is drooling in puddles over this kid right now, and his overall size, strength, vision, shot, skating, and hands are all well above anything that is currently out there for his age.

He is a franchise dman in the making, and as long as he continues to work on his game and not let the hype get to his head, he will have a wonderful future in the NHL soon.

Anthony DeAngelo:

On the smaller side compared to the above mentioned players, DeAngelo seems to have quite the buzz following him around as well. Being a 15 year old playing in the USHL can do that for you (see Nick Ebert as well). But it is the way he has handled the league that is making a name for himself. Though on the smaller side, roughly 5'10 and 170lbs, I havent seen DeAngelo get outmuscled or outplayed all that much. In fact, he has a fearless edge to his game that really makes it exciting to see him play against such older competition.

There is no doubt his bread and butter is his offensive game, and the world could be his soon enough to do that, but there are certainly glimpses of his vision and skating each night so far. He is going to get bigger and stronger, and when he does he has the chance to be the next great American offensive defensemen (think Brian Leetch mold), but obvioulsy that is a ways to go. He has star power written all over him, and though many are just gitty watching him play, I think he has the highest upside/downside out of the three because of the style he plays.

For the next three drafts, USA Hockey as it stands could possibly have three franchise dmen drafted in a row...(include Trouba and Seth Jones to the group, and that is an impressive 5 kids in 3 years). Plenty of time for these kids to fall or get even better, but if I had to rank them on pure potential and overall talent I would have them as follows.

#1. Steve Santini - just simply to amazing of a player to not be the best this country has to offer in the next few years

#2. Nick Ebert - his all around game is so far ahead that it just boggles the mind how quickly he will become a pro

#3. Anthony DeAngelo - kid has such sick offensive skills that he could be the best of the buch, but he needs to shore up his all around game and get bigger, but that will come over the next 3 years.

Shoots and Ladders

Jan 20, 2007
JFK

It is kind of unfair to compare Ebert against DeAngelo as Ebert is a 2012 draft pick, and DeAngelo is a 2014 draft pick. That is a big difference when it comes to time in development for these kids. Steve Santini is a 2013 pick, so thats why I added him in here to bridge that gap.

Nick Ebert:

Probably the most smooth and polished young American defender that I have seen in a long long time (maybe back to Ryan Suter days). Ebert plays the game on both sides of the puck at an above average level. His vision, skating, and playmaking are all on par with what Cam Fowler was like last year. His shot, grit, willingness to hit, defensive play, and strength are all above what Fowler had last year. So he is pretty much a more well rounded version of Cam Fowler. If Fowler had Ebert's all around game, he would have gone #2 or #3 last year.

Ebert is just one of those kids that sees the game differently then the rest. He is the top defensive player for the 2012 draft currently, and is making a case for the top player overall for this draft (depending on the dreaded Russian factor). He should easily make the US WJC squad next season, and that might open more eyes to him that havent had the pleasure of watching him. He is a franchise defenseman at this point.

Steve Santini:

I am not sure there is a more tantilizing young defensive prospect out there that I have had more high hopes for this early on then Santini. The kid just simply has it. At 6'3 220lb he is a rushing, offensive minded puck moving dman. Thats right, this manchild isnt a shutdown defendor, he actually attacks and attacks and attacks. There just simply isnt many like him. Santini just has a monster shot that very few goalies seem to be able to stop; ever. Every single scout is drooling in puddles over this kid right now, and his overall size, strength, vision, shot, skating, and hands are all well above anything that is currently out there for his age.

He is a franchise dman in the making, and as long as he continues to work on his game and not let the hype get to his head, he will have a wonderful future in the NHL soon.

Anthony DeAngelo:

On the smaller side compared to the above mentioned players, DeAngelo seems to have quite the buzz following him around as well. Being a 15 year old playing in the USHL can do that for you (see Nick Ebert as well). But it is the way he has handled the league that is making a name for himself. Though on the smaller side, roughly 5'10 and 170lbs, I havent seen DeAngelo get outmuscled or outplayed all that much. In fact, he has a fearless edge to his game that really makes it exciting to see him play against such older competition.

There is no doubt his bread and butter is his offensive game, and the world could be his soon enough to do that, but there are certainly glimpses of his vision and skating each night so far. He is going to get bigger and stronger, and when he does he has the chance to be the next great American offensive defensemen (think Brian Leetch mold), but obvioulsy that is a ways to go. He has star power written all over him, and though many are just gitty watching him play, I think he has the highest upside/downside out of the three because of the style he plays.

For the next three drafts, USA Hockey as it stands could possibly have three franchise dmen drafted in a row...(include Trouba and Seth Jones to the group, and that is an impressive 5 kids in 3 years). Plenty of time for these kids to fall or get even better, but if I had to rank them on pure potential and overall talent I would have them as follows.

#1. Steve Santini - just simply to amazing of a player to not be the best this country has to offer in the next few years

#2. Nick Ebert - his all around game is so far ahead that it just boggles the mind how quickly he will become a pro

#3. Anthony DeAngelo - kid has such sick offensive skills that he could be the best of the buch, but he needs to shore up his all around game and get bigger, but that will come over the next 3 years.

what League does Steve Santini play in

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Santini vs. Ebert reminds me a lot of the Jack Johnson vs. Steve Spade hype when they were 15. Fact of the matter is, Ebert is doing it at a much higher level right now and I would wait to put such high expectations on Santini until he proves himself at a higher stage. He could get to the OHL and falter, much the same way Spade did. We don't know yet. Ebert should be ahead of the pack right now for his upside and his accomplishments together. The others are not up at his level yet.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Ebert is eligible for the 2012 draft, what about the other two?

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Thanks for the indepth scouting report on this troika, American Dream.

Any word on if Santini plans on playing in the OHL next year? If so, sounds like he'd be a slam dunk to go 1st overall over the likes of Ritchie and Nurse. Thanks.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA

Nick Ebert:

Steve Santini:

Anthony DeAngelo:

Thank you very much for your post. very informative and i look forward to seeing how these playerss develop. I previously knew nothing about Steve Santini and were is he from exactly? Thanks!

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
DeAngelo has the most upside of the group. Ebert is the safest bet. He can do it all, very poised and polished, plays both sides equally well. Santini scares me. I don't have a good feeling as far as him becoming this franchise defenseman. Seen way too many kids that grow way earlier then the rest just never reach their alleged ceiling. I've been hearing him fearfully compared to Nick Petrecki, although Santini is a better player at a similar age. Hoping for the best though.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA

Could you give a scouting report on Seth Jones and Trouba possible. I thought for sure that as of right now Seth Jones was the #1 defensemen for 2013, at least thats what I've been reading and hearing.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Thanks for the indepth scouting report on this troika, American Dream.

Any word on if Santini plans on playing in the OHL next year? If so, sounds like he'd be a slam dunk to go 1st overall over the likes of Ritchie and Nurse. Thanks.

Santini is an early commit already for next year's NTDP team along with two other highly touted '95 USA d-men in Will Butcher (Madison Capitals) and Scott Savage (LA Selects).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
DeAngelo has the most upside of the group. Ebert is the safest bet. He can do it all, very poised and polished, plays both sides equally well. Santini scares me. I don't have a good feeling as far as him becoming this franchise defenseman. Seen way too many kids that grow way earlier then the rest just never reach their alleged ceiling. I've been hearing him fearfully compared to Nick Petrecki, although Santini is a better player at a similar age. Hoping for the best though.

I can agree with your sentiment with Santini. We always overhype bigger younger kids, but the way he plays at his age in comparison to some others of that ilk like Petrecki is night and day. None of those big kids actually had his skill set. Anytime I have seen him play he was one of if not the best skater on the team, very impressive for a 6'3 dman. We may have been let down in the past from similar sized younger players, but I simply havent seen a complete package like this in a long long time.

Ebert is the safest to make it to the show, but Santini could have the biggest impact there imo.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Could you give a scouting report on Seth Jones and Trouba possible. I thought for sure that as of right now Seth Jones was the #1 defensemen for 2013, at least thats what I've been reading and hearing.

Seth Jones scares me a bit more then Santini does because of how raw and how much more he can and will grow over the next few years. Jones is a condor on skates, the kid has a massive wing span. He skates extremely well and is learning how to make better outlet passes with the USNDP. He is a physical specimen no doubt, and he very well could be the top dman for the 2013 draft, but I am still higher on Santini as it stands right now.

Trouba is a different bird altogether. Though no slouch on skates, this kid makes it to the show as a punishing dminded defensemen if anything. Trouba has solid offensive skills, but he just plays the game so much better away from the puck that he could be one of the better shutdown dman for his draft. He is a top 15 pick for the 2012 draft, and his development with the USNDP has been excellent so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad