Value of: Anthony DeAngelo

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Past issues with maturity/character. Please leave them out of the conversation.

I am not interested in the Rangers trading him, but he may be pricing himself right off the team due to cap issues. If they are going to sell, they may as well sell high, and it seems the value may be pretty high right now.

Who is in the market for a young offensive minded RHD and whatcha gonna give up?

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Past issues with maturity/character. Please leave them out of the conversation.

I am not interested in the Rangers trading him, but he may be pricing himself right off the team due to cap issues. If they are going to sell, they may as well sell high, and it seems the value may be pretty high right now.

Who is in the market for a young offensive minded RHD and whatcha gonna give up?

That's asking a lot from some of the folks around here, lol.
In all seriousness, Gorton has been shrewd in the past and anything can happen... TDA has gotten some time with Fox and has played the left side before. One wild scenario would be moving Skjei for depth at wing and keeping TDA long term on the left side.

Reactions: Shootertooter

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This is the definition of selling high
They've been talking about him possibly being moved as a cap casualty all season. They pretty much forced him into a lowball deal for this contract but the man is gonna get paid this off season. I just don't know by whom.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
That's asking a lot from some of the folks around here, lol.
In all seriousness, Gorton has been shrewd in the past and anything can happen... TDA has gotten some time with Fox and has played the left side before. One wild scenario would be moving Skjei for depth at wing and keeping TDA long term on the left side.
I am all over that. Even suggested it last week. Teams short on RHD play two LHD on pairs all the time. Why not have 2 RHD on a pair? Especially the way ADA is all over the ice, I don't think side is important. But I would trade Skjei before ADA right now, agreed.

Reactions: Shootertooter

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
They should’ve/could’ve locked him up long term for cheap last season.

Reactions: nyrage

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
They should’ve/could’ve locked him up long term for cheap last season.

I believe DeAngelo was unwilling to sign long term because he wanted to do exactly what hes doing now - proves hes worth more than they were offering. Part of the reason why hes so cheap this year is because he took the long term option off the table.

Reactions: egelband

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I believe DeAngelo was unwilling to sign long term because he wanted to do exactly what hes doing now - proves hes worth more than they were offering. Part of the reason why hes so cheap this year is because he took the long term option off the table.
The Rangers were up against the cap when they re-signed ADA and Lemieux. ADA missed camp hoping for a bigger contract but there simply was no room.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Moving him for futures would be ridiculous. He can be part of a package for for a 1LHD or a top line forward or he can stay. Rangers should have no motivation to move this guy whatsoever.
I don't want to move him either, but could you point me to the #1 LHDs that are on the market and won't cause bigger cap issues than ADAs next contract looks like it will?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The Rangers were up against the cap when they re-signed ADA and Lemieux. ADA missed camp hoping for a bigger contract but there simply was no room.

I understand that - but from what I understand, he and the rangers werent close on a long-term valuation, even if they had the means to offer it to him.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I understand that - but from what I understand, he and the rangers werent close on a long-term valuation, even if they had the means to offer it to him.
They're going to pay big for that. It would have been a risk, but they lost on this gamble for sure.

rokkinman139

Jun 11, 2013
Skalica, Slovakia
Huh, it's almost like blowing 20 million in cap on two players when you're a rebuilding team isn't a good idea. Both Tony and Strome having breakout years while on contract years is a tough bounce. Especially because the Rangers are going to end up having very little maneuverability this offseason, outside of just re-signing those two.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
His value is very high now, if the Rangers were to trade him what could they possibly get in return? Toronto are looking for a RHD , Rangers need a LHD, what about ADA and Rangers 1st top 10 protected for Sandin? is the offer close?

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
This. There was no room for a pay rise due to the cap space available. With that being said, NYR will have around $17m in space depending on cap ceiling so we can afford a solid long term deal as well as re-signing Kreider if thats what they decide to do.

We are in a position where we dont need to seek cap help or trade players to save cap space. ADA is gonna get paid and rightly he should be. One of the best younger offensive dmen in the league.

Reactions: Kupo

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
His value is very high now, if the Rangers were to trade him what could they possibly get in return? Toronto are looking for a RHD , Rangers need a LHD, what about ADA and Rangers 1st top 10 protected for Sandin? is the offer close?
What? Sandin could turn out to be a stud. But ADA is a stud. And he can still improve.

That’s a horrible deal.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't want to move him either, but could you point me to the #1 LHDs that are on the market and won't cause bigger cap issues than ADAs next contract looks like it will?
Rangers have enough assets to make a deal for anyone. Hampus Lindholm coats a lot but is the right answer. He’d be worth it.
But I’d rather resign DeAngelo and let some other guys walk honestly. I don’t think any deal he would sign would be catastrophic to the cap

Reactions: The Sweetness

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
WHAT THE ACTUAL f*** AM I READING?

ADA and a first round pick for Sandin? ADA is WAY more valuable than Sandin right now.

Sandin is a very promising prospect but at this stage thats all he is. ADA is a proven NHL'r and one of the best young offensive dmen in the league. He is on course for a 70 point season (unlikely but he is).

It should be the Leafs adding the 1st rounder not NYR.

People can question this all they want but ADA has become a legit top offensive performer this year and broke out in a big way. This is DeAngelo hitting his potential and his value is extremely high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->