NBA Anthony Davis requests trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Its the location. Hence how he got guys like Allen and Battier to come to Miami and couldn't get anyone aside from Richard Jefferson to sign with the Cavs.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Bah - he's full of crap. :thumbd: He must think we're idiots if he expects us to believe that he'll happily play anywhere except New Orleans. I guess he's desperate to try and save his public image.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's saying that to save face.

Its clear he desires LA or NY. He wants to build his brand, dos tuff off-court like James and do it in one of the two "star cities" in the country.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Its clear he desires LA or NY. He wants to build his brand, dos tuff off-court like James and do it in one of the two "star cities" in the country.

I'd actually have more respect for him if he just came out and said that. All I know is that when it comes a winning organization the freaking Knicks aren't one of the first NBA teams that come to mind.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
If I was his teammate I'd greatly appreciate it if he stopped talking so much.

Openly talking about his list, or who may or may not be on it, is a slap in my face if I'm currently on the same team as him. Comes across as completely selfish.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Openly talking about his list, or who may or may not be on it, is a slap in my face if I'm currently on the same team as him. Comes across as completely selfish.

And that brings me back to what Larry Bird said about 10 years ago when asked about the difference between current NBA players and players from his generation. He said that players from his generation played for the name on the front of the jersey while current players seemed more concerned about the name on the back of the jersey. :clap:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
And that brings me back to what Larry Bird said about 10 years ago when asked about the difference between current NBA players and players from his generation. He said that players from his generation played for the name on the front of the jersey while current players seemed more concerned about the name on the back of the jersey. :clap:

Yup and nobody cared if you retired with 0 rings. If you were good, you were good - end of story.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

That’s probably more what people would like to believe than the way it actually was. If players had the power then that they do now, you probably would have seen the same thing going on. And some players that did have that power then, exercised it. Both Wilt and Kareem requested to be traded. Kareem specifically requested either NY or LA. I don’t know for sure but I would guess Wilt also wanted to go to LA.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
That’s probably more what people would like to believe than the way it actually was. If players had the power then that they do now, you probably would have seen the same thing going on. And some players that did have that power then, exercised it. Both Wilt and Kareem requested to be traded. Kareem specifically requested either NY or LA. I don’t know for sure but I would guess Wilt also wanted to go to LA.

This and the fact that players have woke up to the fact that "loyalty" is mainly a one way street. If you don't perform, or you act up, most teams aren't going to remain "loyal" to you.

It's easy for a mega star on a successful, well managed team to be "loyal" too.

So much of this idea of loyalty is more about circumstance.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Wilt only wanted to leave Philly because his mentor either passed away or left the team. Kareem was for religious reasons. You never really had guys say "trade me to ___ because my buddy plays for them / I want to team up with 2 buddies to win"

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Wilt only wanted to leave Philly because his mentor either passed away or left the team. Kareem was for religious reasons. You never really had guys say "trade me to ___ because my buddy plays for them / I want to team up with 2 buddies to win"

Julius Erving held out and forced a trade from the Nets when they had just joined the NBA. As for Wilt, there were other, less noble, theories about why he wanted to leave. I remember the general thinking at the time being that he wanted to be in LA with the celebrities. As for Kareem, there were other cities in the NBA that could have fit his "cultural needs" besides NY and LA. But all you're saying here is that they had their reasons for wanting to be traded. I'm sure AD has his too, is that wrong of him?

Also, the NBA didn't get unrestricted free agency until 1988. It's easy to say players were loyal to the name on the front of the jersey when they didn't have any other real options. There's no reason why pro athletes shouldn't have the right to choose where they want to work and live. And as @Morozov pointed out, teams are ready to trade players the moment it's in their own best interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This and the fact that players have woke up to the fact that "loyalty" is mainly a one way street. If you don't perform, or you act up, most teams aren't going to remain "loyal" to you.

It's easy for a mega star on a successful, well managed team to be "loyal" too.

So much of this idea of loyalty is more about circumstance.

Harrison Barnes was traded mid game. Loyalty is a 2 way steeet. Unfortunately loyalty is long gone.

Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad