Player Discussion: Anthony Cirelli

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
According to EE, because Paq was listed as a healthy scratch today, it made him one of our four call-ups.

I know, doesn't mean he's sticking around the rest of the year. When Palat is back Cirelli should go back down. He will get a heck of a lot more time in the playoffs for the Crunch then he will up here.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I think he still needs more time in the AHL, but I'm glad he gets a few game to take in the pace and difficulty of the NHL game. Don't think we'll see him around in the playoffs.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think he still needs more time in the AHL, but I'm glad he gets a few game to take in the pace and difficulty of the NHL game. Don't think we'll see him around in the playoffs.

Naw the Crunch need him way more than we do. Let him battle it out for Calder Cup right now and then battle for a spot in camp next year. And should he not make it that wouldn't exactly be the worst possible thing that could happen. Another half season to in the AHL to smooth out the edges of his game will have him ready for 1st call up by January 2019 and will give him a big advantage to securing a permanent spot on the roster because by then he should be ready to step in and be so good you cannot possibly send him back down.

Right now Cirelli is in "just happy to be here" mode and probably feels like he's a year out anyway

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Naw the Crunch need him way more than we do. Let him battle it out for Calder Cup right now and then battle for a spot in camp next year. And should he not make it that wouldn't exactly be the worst possible thing that could happen. Another half season to in the AHL to smooth out the edges of his game will have him ready for 1st call up by January 2019 and will give him a big advantage to securing a permanent spot on the roster because by then he should be ready to step in and be so good you cannot possibly send him back down.

Right now Cirelli is in "just happy to be here" mode and probably feels like he's a year out anyway

Cirelli is about to be really happy to be here when he cashes his check this week and sees and extra zero on the end of it.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Great game again from the kid. He also reminds me of Vinny - but only regarding the interviews. :D

"You know....you know, just like you said...."

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Paquette had a good game last night too, probably felt the pressure from Cirelli. Cirelli's defensive game and f/o's I think put him above Dump Truck right now, but come playoffs Cooper might not want to see the rookie.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Great game again from the kid. He also reminds me of Vinny - but only regarding the interviews. :D

Vinny wasn't as bad with that as "AAAAHHHHHH" "UUUUHHHHHHHH" I once counted him doing it 14 times in a single sit down that was maybe just over a minute. Can you imagine an exchange in the Lecavalier household?

Caroline: Vinny can you put the children to bed?

Vinny: Sure uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh not a problem. I'll uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh help the little one in the bath too and aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh I should be done in about 20 minutes

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Does Cirelli make the playoff roster or not? Feel coop will go with Paquette who has the playoff experience. When Palat returns def have some decisions to make.

Kid looks good. If he keeps it up its tough to keep him off the roster. If he pushes Pacquette to be better then Im all for that too.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I'm pretty torn here to be honest. Kid played better than I would have thought. From my perspective ... his development is better served by centering the Syracuse first line all the way through the Calder Cup playoffs. This kid is not a fourth liner ... this kid is probably a third liner in the NHL. If we move Johnson before the draft ... Cirelli could potentially slide into that third line Center position. Next year we could go down the middle: Stamkos, Point, Cirelli ... for example. That would give us some cap flexibility moving forward and return some of the picks we lost at the TDL. I think Centering the Crunch through the playoffs puts him in a better position developmentally than playing 4th line in the NHL during the run. We also are not in need of scoring ... we do need a strong and defensively sound 4th line. Paquette provides that ... and its valuable asset to have in the playoffs. Kunitz / Paquette / Callahan is a shut down line ... you can just burn that line against any of the top lines and create mismatches elsewhere.

Ultimately, don't think Cirelli in a 4th line role is the difference between the Cup and not winning the Cup. For this reason ... I go with the development route and send him back to Syracuse.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm pretty torn here to be honest. Kid played better than I would have thought. From my perspective ... his development is better served by centering the Syracuse first line all the way through the Calder Cup playoffs. This kid is not a fourth liner ... this kid is probably a third liner in the NHL. If we move Johnson before the draft ... Cirelli could potentially slide into that third line Center position. Next year we could go down the middle: Stamkos, Point, Cirelli ... for example. That would give us some cap flexibility moving forward and return some of the picks we lost at the TDL. I think Centering the Crunch through the playoffs puts him in a better position developmentally than playing 4th line in the NHL during the run. We also are not in need of scoring ... we do need a strong and defensively sound 4th line. Paquette provides that ... and its valuable asset to have in the playoffs. Kunitz / Paquette / Callahan is a shut down line ... you can just burn that line against any of the top lines and create mismatches elsewhere.

Ultimately, don't think Cirelli in a 4th line role is the difference between the Cup and not winning the Cup. For this reason ... I go with the development route and send him back to Syracuse.

Knowing Coop and just generally how we have dealt with these situations, we will send him back to Syracuse for their playoffs. I like the kid though and dont think he would be much of a liability on this roster in a small role like 4th line Center. Its better not to risk though because we have a cup on the line here. As exciting as this year has been, its amazing to see these kids come up and have success. Bodes really well for this franchise's future.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Paquette needs to just take a seat. Put in Cirelli in favor of him and you have a lineup at forward where there's no one you look at and wish you could replace with a minor league player

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015

Funny you should say that. I was thinking he reminded me a little of Vinny out on the ice, too. Not necessarily in the way he plays, but just kind of his presence on the ice. I think it might be the way he skates. Maybe the way he wears his helmet, too.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Cooper is gonna use Cirelli as the 3C then I have no problem keeping him around going into the playoffs. If he's gonna be the 4C getting less than 10 minutes then Syracuse is better for him.

Reactions: DaBolts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad