Speculation: Anthony Cirelli offer sheet

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Last year we knew two things that made the Brayden Point negotiations easy: First, Point was refusing to sign an offer sheet. Second, Point was injured, and wouldn't be available to start the season, so there was no rush to get him inked before training camp. (<-- That last one is quite hilarious, because it didn't come out until after the contract was signed; so while HF was losing its mind that nothing was happening, it turned out they were working with a drastically different timeline than we thought.)

With Cirelli, it's hard to say what management knows that we don't. I think it's going to be a tricky off-season for sure, and there will be casualties. But, with all the RFAs we've seen take team-friendly bridge deals, it's just really hard for me to imagine that THIS is the kid who's gonna break that trend. I could see it more with Sergachev, really, and, even in that case, I don't think it happens.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If the Senators hadn't JUST been burned by giving away a top-five pick I'd be inclined to OS him up to the 1st + 3rd round pick range (which I believe is roughly ~$6.3 million AAV). The kid is just that good and will be worth that type of contract in a hurry, imo. I used to question his upside, but this guy can absolutely be a #2 center in this league.

Reactions: JackFr

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Imma let you finish but........

This is Anthony Cirelli chasing down Matt Barzal and stripping him of the puck on a breakaway

So take a nice deep, centering breath. Let the skill sink in and think of how he could be on your team. And say now to yourself

"It ain't gonna happen"

Cirelli is not for sale. He's not the kind of lucky quarter you can trade for a couple of dimes and a nickel and hope you're returning value. You're not gonna give us anything that replaces what he does on a nightly basis.

Reactions: Zwui21

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
ya keep dreaming. TBL wouldn't even move him for Zadina

As a neutral fan, the problem with that line of thought is that TB has only 8.058 M$ in capspace for next year with 13 players signed (per Capfriendly) and that is problematic with the players they have left to re-up. Even though they're rightfully very high on Cirelli, I'm pretty sure they would trade him for Zadina since the latter isn't available for the Seattle expansion draft, would cost them much less for the next two years, is certainly no slouch as a player and prospect, and boasts an arguably higher ceiling than Cirelli.

Let's say that the increase to the salary cap is a clear 3 M$ in the offseason for 2020-2021 (it could be more, or less, but I believe that's a conservative estimate) that only leaves about 11 M$ to sign Cirelli, Sergachev, Shattenkirk, Cernak and at least 3 other players to reach the 20-player benchmark set by the league (I think games are automatically forfeited if that number isn't reached), or 4 if they let Shattenkirk go as I'm pretty sure they will.

It should be mentioned that running very close to the cap with 20 players all season long is a really stressful situation for a GM in the case you have injuries but can't put people on LTIR because they haven't been injured long enough. In that case you burn through your remaining cap really quickly and if the injury bug doesn't let up you're in a world of trouble and having to waive players to get the cap relief you need to ice a team that fits the requirements.

That uncertainty is why you normally need at least 21 players on your roster and 2-300 K$ in capspace to mitigate injuries if you want to play it safe. That means you must budget for 8 players making at least league minimum salary and a small cushion (ideally you'd like to have 500 K to 1 million saved, but let's say they go with 300 K) before reaching the cap, and that's 5.9 M$ right off the bat, with some of those 8 players making more than just the 700 k$ set as the smallest salary.

With that simple calculation done, it means that out of that about 11 M$ that the Lightning had to begin with, they're left with only 5.1 million dollars to deal with the raises due a few of their players and players signed to deals worth more than 700 K (Cal and Nolan Foote at 925 K, Volkov at 864 K, Raddysh and Katchouk at 833 K, etc.). That's not a lot given the quality of their RFAs that need new contracts.

With 3 years of at least 30 points as a defenseman, his draft pedigree, package of size, skills and skating, to go alongside his progression defensively, Sergachev should get at least 4 million dollars on a short-term deal, obviously more if the contract is longer, even with the Tampa paycut. If management doesn't sign him before july 1st and he holds out, he could be a target for offer-sheets that might inflate his salary too much for Tampa's tastes. Some teams might offer 5 or even 6 millions to him if they need help on defense, have cap to burn and believe in Sergachev's potential. What could be a late first and third would be a small price for a possible top pairing defenseman in the future.

Similarly, Cirelli's incredible play and production this year should see him get anywhere from 3 to 4.5 M$ on a bridge deal, much more if a team likes him enough and offer-sheets him. I'm fairly certain some teams wouldn't mind signing him for 5+ millions for five years, only giving up a first and third for a sure-fire top-6 forward with gumption.

Erik Cernak, while not nearly as good as the other two, has been a pretty good and reliable defenseman for TB and should get signed for at least 1.5-2 million dollars given his steady play.

Mathieu Joseph hasn't played much with Tampa this year but has shown really good stuff last season and should get more than 1 M$ as an RFA. Seeing as they have some solid depth in the AHL that could be cheaper, he might be let go of if he asks for too much.

Even if you take the smallest estimates I made for Cernak, Sergachev and Cirelli, trading Mathieu Jorseph and letting Shattenkirk go somewhere else, while putting everyone else at 7oo K, the raises awarded to those three alone total 6.3 M$, more than the 5.1 M$ they would have left.

Any way you look at it trades will have to be made and Tampa Bay's management will need to weigh their options this offseason before they decide. Perhaps they trade away Yanni Gourde or Erik Cernak. They could also let any of Palat, Johnson, Paquette go and make things work that way. Maybe they don't want to trade any of those guys and would instead allow a team to overpay for someone like Cirelli or Sergachev, take the picks and draft some new prospects while allowing some of their younger prospects to take bigger roles on their team.

There are infinite possibilities as to how Tampa Bay deals with its own roster during the summer, and an offersheet to Cirelli could happen. Now, I think TB would try very hard to sign him and would somehow make room if they had to, but you never know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Major4Boarding

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Cirelli is not for sale. He's not the kind of lucky quarter you can trade for a couple of dimes and a nickel and hope you're returning value. You're not gonna give us anything that replaces what he does on a nightly basis.
He doesn't have to be up for sale. A team just has to overpay him and he has to sign the contract. A team that truly understands his value and has the cap space.

That backcheck was a thing of beauty. Would have put it in the opening post if i had found it.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
As a neutral fan, the problem with that line of thought is that TB has only 8.058 M$ in capspace for next year with 13 players signed (per Capfriendly) and that is problematic with the players they have left to re-up. Even though they're rightfully very high on Cirelli, I'm pretty sure they would trade him for Zadina since the latter isn't available for the Seattle expansion draft, would cost them much less for the next two years, is certainly no slouch as a player and prospect, and boasts an arguably higher ceiling than Cirelli.

Let's say that the increase to the salary cap is a clear 3 M$ in the offseason for 2020-2021 (it could be more, or less, but I believe that's a conservative estimate) that only leaves about 11 M$ to sign Cirelli, Sergachev, Shattenkirk, Cernak and at least 3 other players to reach the 20-player benchmark set by the league (I think games are automatically forfeited if that number isn't reached), or 4 if they let Shattenkirk go as I'm pretty sure they will.

It should be mentioned that running very close to the cap with 20 players all season long is a really stressful situation for a GM in the case you have injuries but can't put people on LTIR because they haven't been injured long enough. In that case you burn through your remaining cap really quickly and if the injury bug doesn't let up you're in a world of trouble and having to waive players to get the cap relief you need to ice a team that fits the requirements.

That uncertainty is why you normally need at least 21 players on your roster and 2-300 K$ in capspace to mitigate injuries if you want to play it safe. That means you must budget for 8 players making at least league minimum salary and a small cushion (ideally you'd like to have 500 K to 1 million saved, but let's say they go with 300 K) before reaching the cap, and that's 5.9 M$ right off the bat, with some of those 8 players making more than just the 700 k$ set as the smallest salary.

With that simple calculation done, it means that out of that about 11 M$ that the Lightning had to begin with, they're left with only 5.1 million dollars to deal with the raises due a few of their players and players signed to deals worth more than 700 K (Cal and Nolan Foote at 925 K, Volkov at 864 K, Raddysh and Katchouk at 833 K, etc.). That's not a lot given the quality of their RFAs that need new contracts.

With 3 years of at least 30 points as a defenseman, his draft pedigree, package of size, skills and skating, to go alongside his progression defensively, Sergachev should get at least 4 million dollars on a short-term deal, obviously more if the contract is longer, even with the Tampa paycut. If management doesn't sign him before july 1st and he holds out, he could be a target for offer-sheets that might inflate his salary too much for Tampa's tastes. Some teams might offer 5 or even 6 millions to him if they need help on defense, have cap to burn and believe in Sergachev's potential. What could be a late first and third would be a small price for a possible top pairing defenseman in the future.

Similarly, Cirelli's incredible play and production this year should see him get anywhere from 3 to 4.5 M$ on a bridge deal, much more if a team likes him enough and offer-sheets him. I'm fairly certain some teams wouldn't mind signing him for 5+ millions for five years, only giving up a first and third for a sure-fire top-6 forward with gumption.

Erik Cernak, while not nearly as good as the other two, has been a pretty good and reliable defenseman for TB and should get signed for at least 1.5-2 million dollars given his steady play.

Mathieu Joseph hasn't played much with Tampa this year but has shown really good stuff last season and should get more than 1 M$ as an RFA. Seeing as they have some solid depth in the AHL that could be cheaper, he might be let go of if he asks for too much.

Even if you take the smallest estimates I made for Cernak, Sergachev and Cirelli, trading Mathieu Jorseph and letting Shattenkirk go somewhere else, while putting everyone else at 7oo K, the raises awarded to those three alone total 6.3 M$, more than the 5.1 M$ they would have left.

Any way you look at it trades will have to be made and Tampa Bay's management will need to weigh their options this offseason before they decide. Perhaps they trade away Yanni Gourde or Erik Cernak. They could also let any of Palat, Johnson, Paquette go and make things work that way. Maybe they don't want to trade any of those guys and would instead allow a team to overpay for someone like Cirelli or Sergachev, take the picks and draft some new prospects while allowing some of their younger prospects to take bigger roles on their team.

There are infinite possibilities as to how Tampa Bay deals with its own roster during the summer, and an offersheet to Cirelli could happen. Now, I think TB would try very hard to sign him and would somehow make room if they had to, but you never know.
You analyzed the Lightning situation pretty well.
2 things:
1) we are not even trying to re-sign Shattenkirk. We knew as soon as he came here that it was meant to be one season and done.
2) Joseph won't be re-signed unless there's somehow space. And he won't touch 1M. My opinion is that his rights will be flipped for a pick before the draft or he'll be included in a TDL trade.

Killorn is on his way out if Johnson doesn't agree to waive his NTC and be traded somewhere else.
That will give the Bolts some more cap flexibility.
Then the Bolts can flip Paquette for a pick, gaining some marginal cap space.
And, if Coburn doesn't agree to waive his NTC and be traded somewhere else, he can be put on waivers. If picked up cool, 1.7M freed. If he goes to the minors Tampa gets 1.1M cap space freed.

It's not gonna be easy, it's not gonna be beautiful, but there are some ways around it that will give the Bolts the opportunity to re-sign Cirelli, Sergy and Cernak with """ease"""

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We're moving Killorn. Gourde if possible, but Killorn doesn't have a full NTC, so he'll be the first to fall.

We'll keep Cirelli and Sergachev, and probably Cernak. It'll be tricky for sure, but it's tricky every year, and we keep the core guys.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
2 things:
1) we are not even trying to re-sign Shattenkirk. We knew as soon as he came here that it was meant to be one season and done.
2) Joseph won't be re-signed unless there's somehow space. And he won't touch 1M. My opinion is that his rights will be flipped for a pick before the draft or he'll be included in a TDL trade.

Killorn is on his way out if Johnson doesn't agree to waive his NTC and be traded somewhere else.
And, if Coburn doesn't agree to waive his NTC and be traded somewhere else, he can be put on waivers. If picked up cool, 1.7M freed. If he goes to the minors Tampa gets 1.1M cap space freed.

It's not gonna be easy, it's not gonna be beautiful, but there are some ways around it that will give the Bolts the opportunity to re-sign Cirelli, Sergy and Cernak with """ease"""

We're moving Killorn. Gourde if possible, but Killorn doesn't have a full NTC, so he'll be the first to fall.

We'll keep Cirelli and Sergachev, and probably Cernak. It'll be tricky for sure, but it's tricky every year, and we keep the core guys.

I had thought that with the season Killorn's had, his strong two-way play and physicality, he'd be a player that you'd be looking to keep. I guess it makes sense to trade him if you can't move guys like Johnson or Gourde.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I had thought that with the season Killorn's had, his strong two-way play and physicality, he'd be a player that you'd be looking to keep. I guess it makes sense to trade him if you can't move guys like Johnson or Gourde.

We'll be forced to. We've never had a guy waive a full NTC. They're designed to get movable as the player ages, and it's Killorn's turn. The silver lining is, with the season he's had, a late 1st isn't out of the question.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
If it comes down to either trade Killorn to re-sign a young RFA or keep Killorn and trade one young RFA, there's no doubt in my mind on what's the move to make

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

You raise a lot of good points. Thing is Tampa won't let Tony go, It will be others that get traded.

Also Tony won't sign an offer sheet. He's not that kind of guy

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
You raise a lot of good points. Thing is Tampa won't let Tony go, It will be others that get traded.

Also Tony won't sign an offer sheet. He's not that kind of guy

Unfortunately I’m not so sure of either of those.

Cirelli and Sergachev are both key players to the Lightning, both now and in the future. Cirelli is our current and future 2C, while Sergachev is at this point arguably neck and neck with McDonagh as our 2D and is our future 1D. Either would be a tremendous loss to the Lightning. But I would argue that Cirelli, as good as he is, would be more easily replaced than Serg.

While finding another two-way center of Cirelli’s caliber would of course be exceedingly difficult, it would be a somewhat easier task to replace his offensive and defensive contributions with a couple of more one-dimensional players at 2C and 3C, respectively. And our forward corps without Cirelli looks a lot better than our defensive corps without Sergachev, both at the NHL level and when taking our prospects into account. So if it comes to choosing between them, I’m not so certain we wouldn’t choose Serg.

As for the second point, I agree that Tony isn’t the type to try to squeeze the team for every available penny or to jump ship for a slightly larger contract. But if Serg is indeed our top priority, and if he takes up so much of our available cap space that all we can offer Cirelli is an insultingly low salary, I’m not so sure Tony wouldn’t at least consider going elsewhere. We would of course ask him to take one for the team and sign a cheap one-year deal with the promise that we would make it up to him after the expansion draft frees up more cap space, but there’s a limit to how much even the most team-oriented player is willing to give up, especially if another player is getting every dollar he can get.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Gourde is a good player but he was never the driver of offense on his line and most of his scoring came a) from playing with Point, and b) from putting in garbage goals close to the net; once he was moved off Point’s line and into the bottom six his offensive opportunities dried up significantly and he’s not the kind of player who can create his own. He’s still good defensively and if we put him back with Point his scoring would pick up, but he’s not going to do a lot of that on a fourth line with two rookies. Interestingly it was the decision to move Cirelli to 2C, thereby pushing Stammer to the wing and Gourde out of the top six, that had a lot to do with Yanni’s offense drying up this season.

All that said, as much as I like Gourde’s game and motor I always saw his offense as a product of Point and therefore never liked the contract we gave him - especially the full NTC as I saw the upcoming cap crunch with Serg/Cirelli/Cernak coming and knew we’d have to move guys to clear cap space for them. Gourde’s a fine player but he’s a complementary guy, whereas Serg and Cirelli should be seen as part of our young core; hopefully we won’t have to lose one of them because we gave too much money and trade protection to good but non-core players.

Gourde with the OT game winner close to the net on the feed from Point. Like I said, that’s the bread and butter of Yanni’s offense. With Stamkos and Kucherov both injured (as well as Cirelli, McDonagh, and Rutta:cry:) I hope we reunite Point and Gourde for a while - Point of course makes everybody he plays with better but he and Gourde just have great synergy.

Reactions: SnakeIdol

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
2 things:

every year all these other fans just don't get it Tampa always figures it out! all last offseason they said point was getting 9-10 avv per year! then he got 6.75!

1. Killorn will be traded for draft picks or prospects so that free's up 4.45 avv cap space
2. Salary cap goes up 2-3 million
3. So just for the first two moves Tampa has 14.45 cap space to get Cirell, Serg and Cernak signed
4. Coburn can be traded to save 1.7 avv in space or waived to the minors to save 900 k in space
5. Ceddy Paquette can be traded to save 1.65 in space.
6. I doubt 4 and 5 will be needed moving killorn and the cap going up will be enough.
7. Serg- does 3 years 4.25 avv cap hit
8. Cirell does 3 years 4.75 avv cap hit
9. Cernak- does 2 years 2.5 avv cap hit
10. Joseph does 1 year 1 avv
11. Bring up Cal Foote to replace Shatty
12. the rest our depth guys will all be under 1 million avv

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
every year all these other fans just don't get it Tampa always figures it out! all last offseason they said point was getting 9-10 avv per year! then he got 6.75!

1. Killorn will be traded for draft picks or prospects so that free's up 4.45 avv cap space
2. Salary cap goes up 2-3 million
3. So just for the first two moves Tampa has 14.45 cap space to get Cirell, Serg and Cernak signed
4. Coburn can be traded to save 1.7 avv in space or waived to the minors to save 900 k in space
5. Ceddy Paquette can be traded to save 1.65 in space.
6. I doubt 4 and 5 will be needed moving killorn and the cap going up will be enough.
7. Serg- does 3 years 4.25 avv cap hit
8. Cirell does 3 years 4.75 avv cap hit
9. Cernak- does 2 years 2.5 avv cap hit
10. Joseph does 1 year 1 avv
11. Bring up Cal Foote to replace Shatty
12. the rest our depth guys will all be under 1 million avv

It’s a common mistake so don’t feel bad about it, but regarding 4 and 5 you aren’t taking into account the fact that those guys need to be replaced. So we don’t save the amount of their cap hits, but rather the amount of their cap hits that exceeds that of whoever replaces them.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Christian Dvorak may be a good comp. Dvo, who is 18 months older, recently signed a 6 year X $4.45M deal.

2019-2020 stats (G-A-P)
Cirelli 14-25-39
Dvo 17-18-35
Both strong defensive forwards

I've always like Cirelli back to his junior days.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Christian Dvorak may be a good comp. Dvo, who is 18 months older, recently signed a 6 year X $4.45M deal.

2019-2020 stats (G-A-P)
Cirelli 14-25-39
Dvo 17-18-35 (also very strong defensively, not sure about Cirelli)

Cirelli should be in the Selke conversation. Very strong doesn't begin to cut describing him.

Reactions: JackFr and AZviaNJ

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Cirelli should be in the Selke conversation. Very strong doesn't begin to cut describing him.

Just to illustrate this point, this chart and article are from last year (officially his rookie season.) Cirelli isn’t just a strong defensive forward - he’s one of the very best in the NHL.

selke_race_scatter.png

Anthony Cirelli deserves Selke Trophy votes

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

2019-2020 stats (G-A-P)
Cirelli 14-25-39
Dvo 17-18-35
Both strong defensive forwards

If Cirelli took that contract, I'd be over the moon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad