Speculation: Anthony Cirelli offer sheet

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
He’s going to get a nice raise in a tight cap in Tbay, but like others that have had good RFAs I can imagine they will find a dance partner on someone to take a couple of their bad contracts before they would consider not matching.

The only RFA offer sheet we’ve seen in what almost 10 years? Was last season, and that was borderline a gift for Carolina outside of the term. Last years class was insane and no one pulled the trigger with a risky overpayment.
So I doubt a player like Cirelli gets an offer sheet.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
He’s going to get a nice raise in a tight cap in Tbay, but like others that have had good RFAs I can imagine they will find a dance partner on someone to take a couple of their bad contracts before they would consider not matching.

The only RFA offer sheet we’ve seen in what almost 10 years? Was last season, and that was borderline a gift for Carolina outside of the term. Last years class was insane and no one pulled the trigger with a risky overpayment.
So I doubt a player like Cirelli gets an offer sheet.
The only challenge I remember being talked about for Carolina matching was the real cash paid out in bonuses. We'd actually be squeezed pretty hard if Cirelli was offered 7m AAV for 5 or less years (compensation of only 1st+2nd+3rd) depending on who made the offer sheet.

Is the main 1st in an offersheet the same 1st as the year the OS is offered in or do those picks begin for the following years? I'd assume the former.

EDIT: And for what it's worth, our only really bad contract at this point is, I think, Yanni Gourde.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Would have no problem giving him a 5-6 year deal just under $4,227 million then.

Depending on where the offer sheet was coming from would greatly impact this even being signed. Tampa still has a huge advantage with state taxes which is why I doubt you can offer sheet a Tampa RFA unless you are from another low income tax state. For example, since you are from Ontario... the difference on a 7 mil contract is almost a million dollars a year difference. The difference on say a 4.226 million contract is 527k a year. I can't see Tampa not matching something, especially if the cap rises. My guess is if push comes to shove they'd rather deal a Killorn or Johnson or Gourde and roll with cheaper contracts than their ufas like Shattenkirk etc.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i've been really impressed whenever i have seen him play. you'd have to give him an exorbitant amount of money to make TBL hesitate on matching imo.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Depending on where the offer sheet was coming from would greatly impact this even being signed. Tampa still has a huge advantage with state taxes which is why I doubt you can offer sheet a Tampa RFA unless you are from another low income tax state. For example, since you are from Ontario... the difference on a 7 mil contract is almost a million dollars a year difference. The difference on say a 4.226 million contract is 527k a year. I can't see Tampa not matching something, especially if the cap rises. My guess is if push comes to shove they'd rather deal a Killorn or Johnson or Gourde and roll with cheaper contracts than their ufas like Shattenkirk etc.

Ya definitely familiar with the tax advantages being a FLA fan.
Very unlikely they don't match but if some GM catches them off guard and presents the offer, JB only has what, 6-7 days to match it and then move at least two of those guys listed above? Sneaky sneaky or greasy greasy? Or am I forgetting they can be over cap in offseason?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
love this guy and is a player im hoping yzerman trades for . maybe our early 2nd+ and glendennying to replace him for the next 2 seasons
No interest in Glendenening you could retain the entire salary and I still would not be interested in him just taking up a contract spot. We have 4th liners and he is not going to be an improvement to them.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The only challenge I remember being talked about for Carolina matching was the real cash paid out in bonuses. We'd actually be squeezed pretty hard if Cirelli was offered 7m AAV for 5 or less years (compensation of only 1st+2nd+3rd) depending on who made the offer sheet.
Is the main 1st in an offersheet the same 1st as the year the OS is offered in or do those picks begin for the following years? I'd assume the former.

EDIT: And for what it's worth, our only really bad contract at this point is, I think, Yanni Gourde.
Draft pick required for upcoming draft. The offersheet window starts after the draft. So it would be 2021 draft picks required.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
If Cirelli were put up for trade he’d fetch a hell of a lot more than that. Not to mention we’d have zero interest in Glendening, who wouldn’t even make our roster.
glenny would make any roster in nhl as a stud 4 line grinding / pking center or winger , and that 2nd is basically a late 1st and could be the first part of any trade . next is the + asset which i wasnt sure whatd itd take so left it at just + . and reason i thought trade might be feasible is because cap crunch brought up in this thread so figured maybe a good draft pick that could maybe end up replacing cirelli helps take the cap crunch off for now while glendenny helps tbay compete for cup this and next season

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Just looking at your capspace. 8 million this offseason so closer to 9.5 to 10mil after cap increase but two RFAs in Serg and Cernak will chew up most of that no?

It’s definitely going to be tough. IMO the priority is Serg first, then Cirelli, then Cernak, with the first two being far more important than the third (though obviously we’d prefer not to lose any of them.) The only way we even consider moving either Serg or Cirelli is if there’s simply no way we can fit them both under the cap after moving every non-core piece we can move; in that case it’s Cirelli who goes unless Serg’s demanding a ludicrous contract. Cernak had a slow start to the season and isn’t a huge points producer so he shouldn’t cost us much, but if we’re pinching pennies to try to keep both Serg and Cirelli he might become a casualty.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
glenny would make any roster in nhl as a stud 4 line grinding / pking center or winger , and that 2nd is basically a late 1st and could be the first part of any trade . next is the + asset which i wasnt sure whatd itd take so left it at just + . and reason i thought trade might be feasible is because cap crunch brought up in this thread so figured maybe a good draft pick that could maybe end up replacing cirelli helps take the cap crunch off for now while glendenny helps tbay compete for cup this and next season

LMAO not only no but hell no. He would not make Tampa’s roster - PERIOD. And if we’re so tight to the cap that we can’t afford Cirelli we certainly aren’t going to take on a cap dump at $1.8M to play in Syracuse.

edit: I’m not sure which is more hilarious: that you think Glendening would help us compete for a cup, that you think we’d make that trade in the first place, or that you think we’d make it this season. If we trade Cirelli it will be a) in the summer, only if forced to by the cap, b) for a hell of a lot more than a 2nd and a cap dump, and c) to a team that isn’t in our division.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Just looking at your capspace. 8 million this offseason so closer to 9.5 to 10mil after cap increase but two RFAs in Serg and Cernak will chew up most of that no?

Who on forward will be traded to keep Cirelli in TB?
Killorn? Palat? Johnson? Paquette?
Killer is not going anywhere nor is Johnny the other two perhaps. But I doubt any of the 4 move. The vampire on the roster is going to be Point. That bridge contract they gave him will be a death nail to him in Tampa. There will be no way they can sign him after that contract and remain a cup threat. It would be in the teams long term interest to cash out on Point in the offseason. This would provide the cap they need going forward for a few more years. If they can find a home for Palat as well all the better Cirelli is ready for more responsibility as are Verhaeghe and Stephens who are young and will be cost controlled for a while yet. Getting Segi and Cernak signed will be more important than what Points next two years will be worth because hes gone with next contract anyway. Does it hurt you bet but From what we have seen in Cirelli he can and will step up into Points place and do just as well. and Point will bring a good return.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->