News: Ansar Khan - Green Will Waive His NTC for Tampa Bay and Other Potential DET Moves

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yes but one is 6 ft 7 250 the other is 5 ft 11 197. Boyle is a giant version of glendening so no their not the close. There no denying size matters and if two guys are similar but one is 6 ft 7 guess who babs/gms value more, thats why their not close. Also you don't need to be adding a 4th liner just to fit with your core that's just bad management. They come and go and preferably developed with late picks

Yeah and their height is probably the difference in their salaries as well. Boyle isnt used or paid as a fourth line center, thats why he was a rental last season. Despite this, Glendening is a similar calibre hockey player and likely just as physical. I also wouldnt be so sure Babs would value Boyle more than Glendening, I've never seen a coach love a player like Babs/Glendening. It was like Hyman/Leo x 100. I also would say that a good fourth line center fitting with your core isnt bad management. Glendening isnt Dave Steckel at the age of 25, hes really good in his role. Toronto has tried a couple free agents and a former first round pick in that spot and no one has been great in it. Their time to contend is the next 3 seasons, why not get what they know is a good fourth line center at a resonable price? Their coach knows him and they dont have to wait for him to develop

If the trade happens Leaf fans will like him in that role. Toronto's coach will love him. Management wont have to worry about trying to find a competent 4th line center for another couple seasons. It makes sense for both teams, if Detroit was a playoff team I (and many) wings fans would not even entertain a trade for a second rounder, but thats likely ball park what it will take to get him (I dont think Kapanen is realistic unless its a package including Green from Detroit as well)

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Glen + Green For Kapanen + 3rd

Yeah, that package probably isn't getting you Green alone, let alone Glendening as well. Green's going to get a 1st round pick. Oh wait, this is Leafs assets being dealt, here. We probably have to add Mantha and a 6th to balance it out, no?

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Yeah, that package probably isn't getting you Green alone, let alone Glendening as well. Green's going to get a 1st round pick. Oh wait, this is Leafs assets being dealt, here. We probably have to add Mantha and a 6th to balance it out, no?

kapanen definitely has a late 1st round value (or pretty close to), not sure how you value glen though

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Good teams use bargin bin veterans on short deals or prospects on their 4th lines. Bad teams have 4th liners with term. Just look at how all of the successful organizations are using their 4th lines. Boston is a great example of this. Winnipeg too.
LOLLLL

Surely Winnipeg is the epitome of "successful organization" with it's zero playoff wins in franchise history. Maybe if they don't value good 4th line players, you should want your team doing the exact opposite

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Leafs fans aren't being unreasonable but I think they are underrating Glendening here. He is an excellent 4th line centre, who can take difficult matchups and consistently chip in 10 goals while playing with speed and tenacity. Glendening can hold his own as a shutdown centre against top lines; we saw this in the playoffs vs the bolts a few years back (for example).

The other element is value in a vacuum vs team need. Sometimes it's more important to fill a need than get the "best" player, especially if you have a window to compete for multiple cups.

Lastly, value isn't as cut and dry as it's made out to be on discussion forums. One year Paul Gausted returns a 1st the next Hanzal returns a 1st + and Vanek playing near point/game gets a 3rd (as rentals).

Values float, are subjective and situational. Factor in Babcock's history with Glendening and I don't think the proposal is as outrageous as it's being made out to be. That said, I can't fault leafs fans for disliking it nor will I get my hopes up for a kapanen level return.

If they leafs do get him, you will be happy with the player but maybe not Babcock's usage of him. He won't be afraid to play him 17 minutes a night haha

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Yeah and their height is probably the difference in their salaries as well. Boyle isnt used or paid as a fourth line center, thats why he was a rental last season. Despite this, Glendening is a similar calibre hockey player and likely just as physical. I also wouldnt be so sure Babs would value Boyle more than Glendening, I've never seen a coach love a player like Babs/Glendening. It was like Hyman/Leo x 100. I also would say that a good fourth line center fitting with your core isnt bad management. Glendening isnt Dave Steckel at the age of 25, hes really good in his role. Toronto has tried a couple free agents and a former first round pick in that spot and no one has been great in it. Their time to contend is the next 3 seasons, why not get what they know is a good fourth line center at a resonable price? Their coach knows him and they dont have to wait for him to develop

If the trade happens Leaf fans will like him in that role. Toronto's coach will love him. Management wont have to worry about trying to find a competent 4th line center for another couple seasons. It makes sense for both teams, if Detroit was a playoff team I (and many) wings fans would not even entertain a trade for a second rounder, but thats likely ball park what it will take to get him (I dont think Kapanen is realistic unless its a package including Green from Detroit as well)
I don't know I just don't want to spend anything on 4th liner and that's no disrespect to one, didn't like the boyle trade either, wanted comtois with the pick. I wouldnt say Gauthier is done, maybe not an option this year but still believe he is an option moving forward.

When I say bad management I mean it. If you need to spend good asset to shore up your 4th line then imo it's bad. I just don't think good currency should be used for 4th line players, no matter how good. That means using a 1st, signing one long term or trading a 2nd/3rd or good prospect for one. I'll just use a cheap stop gap or roll with what we have the rest of the way. I just dont believe glendening is the difference between what we have now and a deep playoff run/cup. I'll let big G take over next season, let him sink or swim to see what we have and go feom there. If I'm spending ssignificant assets, might as well add a little more and do it for a 3c to shore that up going forward.

Also I absolutely believe Babcock would prefer boyle to glendening. Who wouldnt, your getting a bigger version of glendening. I believe we're looking for size, as much as babs likes him, he still would be the smallest centre on our team and where small to begin with (i know he plays bigger just prefer some real size).

But hey if we do get him then I hope it's for a good price and I hope he is what you guys say he is. Maybe babs will form the ultimate 4th line joining him with his other son. Komo glendening hymen, I'd do it just to get hymen off the 1st line.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Seravalli from TSN said we offered Detroit a 5th for Glendenning, and they wanted a 2nd.

Also, I wouldn't do Kapanen, or a 1st, alone for Glendenning and Green, but that's just me. Don't think either are worth that price and neither would be long term options (Green is not a great fit, and we can't afford him after his contract......Glendenning would be solid, not great, but he's not worth either asset alone).

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
That isn't enough coming back. Green has first round value to him. Glendening has second round value. Kapanen and a 3rd doesn't reach that level of return in my opinion.

Glendening doesn't have close to a second round pick of value, and I wouldn't trade Kapanen straight up for Green and Glendening. In fact, I'm with uhh someone I saw on Twitter, who said "if the Red Wings offered Glendening and a second for nothing, the Leafs still shouldn't do it."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad