Another star departs Vancouver

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
In what is becoming an annual tradition in Vancouver, another star player is departing the Lower Mainland after Dan Boyle was traded to the Detroit Red Wings last night. Acquired from the Calgary Flames about seven or eight years ago, Boyle had been a mainstay on the Canucks blueline, the true #1 on a team which has had some outstanding #2s.

In return the Canucks receive Detroit's first round pick, 26th overall, in the 2013 HFNHL Draft. While the price appears modest considering Boyle's level of ratings, the reality was that at 36 years old and slated to make 6.67M, Boyle was not able to command the type of package that is typical for an elite level defenceman.

Boyle's departure is the latest in a seemingly endless series of high-profile departures from Vancouver in recent years, none bigger than Eric Staal's trade to Columbus last year. While most trades have been necessitated by big internal pay rises, in Boyle's case the mid-season acquisitions of Dan Hamhuis and Jason Garrison sealed his fate.

Heading to Detroit, Boyle will join the Eastern Conference for the first time in his HFNHL career, as the Red Wings will move out of the West as part of the new realignment plan. It is believed that sending Boyle out of the Conference was part of the Canucks management's objective in making the move.

Looking forward to the draft next week, the Canucks now appear primed to restock a battered farm system, with two first round picks, three second round picks and the first pick of the third round. In total the club will select six times in the first 61 spots, although more trades are expected over the coming days.

Shawn Stojanov
Vancouver Citizen

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
7 or 8 years.... Shows how long I've been selling players who's contracts I couldn't afford. Sad.

I think it's an excellent return Sean. I can't even get that for a 28 year old Phaneuf.

And I see that Zacs dislike of drafting continues. Not only does the Stars have zero draft picks but the Wings are heading that way. Gearing up for a big charge next year by adding Boyle and Iginla already

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
This year I have zero time to draft which is why I'm getting out of it if I can. With all the move and new job have little time to scout so ill make my push this year then start the long awaited rebuild next year :p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad