Another squeeker 8-4 for Rimouski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Rimouski is being totally carried by Crosby and I'd actually be surprised if they even qualify for the Memorial Cup. Although Crosby is good enough to drag them there if they actually play a bit of defense in the playoffs.

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Forsberg4ever said:
Sid the Kid had is second hat trick in as many days along with two assists with Dany Roussin adding four assists and a goal to the Oceanic's 27 game undefeated streak.

I think it's a 25 games undefeated streak and if they go undefeated in the last three games they'll beat Sorel's record of 27 games

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Genghis Keon said:
When was the last time a scorer led his league (any of the CHL leagues) by such a large statistical margin (almost 1.5x more points than the next leading scorer, despite playing 8 less games)?

I looked it up and I'll answer my own question. When Lemieux put up 282 points, the next leading scorer put up 170, so Lemieux put up 1.66x the amount of points of the next leading scorer (Lemieux played 70 games to Goyette's 62). When Lafleur put up 209 points, the next leading scorer put up 144, so Lafleur put up 1.45x the amount of points of the next leading scorer (they both played 62 games). The next highest is Perrault, who put up 1.25x the amount of points as the next leading scorer. No one in the OHL or OHA (going back to the early '70s) has won by more than 1.25x over the second place scorer. Rob Brown (yes, Lemieux's Penguin running mate) is the only WHL player to win by more than 1.25x. He scored 212 points one year with the next leading scorer at 146, so Brown put up 1.45x more points (in significantly fewer games).

So what Crosby is doing this year has only been done 3 other times in the history of the CHL. On a PPG level compared to the next leading scorer, Crosby and Brown are both in the Lemieux level (Brown at 1.75X in the same amount of games, and Crosby at 1.66x in the same amount of games, while Lemieux drops to 1.47x).

This has nothing to do with the future, but what Crosby is doing now is pretty friggin amazing, and it would be amazing, from a junior standpoint, even if he was a 20 year old, much less one of the youngest players in his draft year.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian said:
Rimouski....

Goals for per game - 4.70
Goals against per game - 3.48

Compared to London and WHL teams.....

London Knights
Goals for - 4.58
Goals against - 1.78

Kootenay Ice
Goals for 3.03
Goals Against - 1.92

Kelowna Rockets
Goals For - 3.04
Goals against - 1.92

My point being....if Rimouski doesn't learn how to play defense they will get smoked at the Mem Cup....assuming their offense alone can carry them through the Q playoffs

But i would like to see what kind of numbers you would get out of Rimouski since January for example. Let's not forget those stats are maybe somewhat misleading since Rimouski was nothing more than a "just over .500 hockey bunch" of teams before the WJC.
The reals numbers of this teams since mid season are probably a lot closer to the London's ones with more offense and a bit less defense...

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
More interesting numbers: 157 points in 59 games = 2.66 points per game. If you multiply 2.66 X 82 games (regular-season length in the NHL pre-lockout), you get 218 points... :eek:

I'm not saying he can do this in the NHL per se, I'm just having a little fun with numbers.

The kid is scary good, and he's only getting better as the season goes along.

As far as Rimouski's concerned, I don't think they'd be any better if they played more D...cuz they don't have the horses to play a defensive style. That's why they acquired Scalzo even when they already had capable offensive defensemen.

By playing full-bore offense all the time, at least it keeps everybody on the same page.

I think they are good enough to reach the Mem Cup, even though just getting there is going to be very difficult (and always is). That said, it's London's to lose this year, as the numbers suggest. Their level of dominance as a team is a notch above.

rick25

Aug 3, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Anksun said:
But i would like to see what kind of numbers you would get out of Rimouski since January for example. Let's not forget those stats are maybe somewhat misleading since Rimouski was nothing more than a "just over .500 hockey bunch" of teams before the WJC.
The reals numbers of this teams since mid season are probably a lot closer to the London's ones with more offense and a bit less defense...

Since mid season:
Goals for per game - 5.76
Goals against per game - 2.72

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
rick25 said:
Since mid season:
Goals for per game - 5.76
Goals against per game - 2.72

Thanks, that's exactly what i was expecting. And imo this stat is what should be used when comparing with the other top teams. And honestly, this is very impressive.

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
So Rimouski is not a defensive team - does this really surprise anyone? It is the "Q" after all...

To say that Crosby is carrying the team - I'm not sold on that one. The other top scorers have been very consistent this year. Roussin has been excellent, especially on the PP, and I believe Pouliot is in the midst of a 26-game point scoring streak or something like that. Also, they upgraded their team at the trade deadline by picking up Scalzo and a better goaltender.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Wolfpack said:
So Rimouski is not a defensive team - does this really surprise anyone? It is the "Q" after all...

To say that Crosby is carrying the team - I'm not sold on that one. The other top scorers have been very consistent this year. Roussin has been excellent, especially on the PP, and I believe Pouliot is in the midst of a 26-game point scoring streak or something like that. Also, they upgraded their team at the trade deadline by picking up Scalzo and a better goaltender.

I think it's very fair to say they will be a dangerous team come the playoffs, and if they make the memorial cup with that much firepower the other teams better take notice.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad