GDT: Another Showcase Bob Game or Will Korpi Start? | Jackets vs Blues| 7:00 P.M.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
In his defense, he hadn't played in two weeks. That being said, he's nothing special-that's for sure.

Bobrovsky came into the season with a sour attitude. Prior negotiations between his agent and the CBJ were very contentious. A shrewd GM would have recognized that the situation was unpalatable and gotten Bobrovsky to agree to waive his NTC and move him somewhere. Bob started the season very poorly, played better for a brief stretch and then had the incident in Tampa when he showered after being pulled with 10 minutes left in the game. The team suspended him. The relationship was permanently broken after that, but GM Kekalainen did nothing. Since then, Bobrovsky is sporting a sickening .861 save percentage.

It's a mess. Bobrovsky is gone after this year. Koropisalo is probably not the answer, but for now he's the best option. Hopefully Elvis Merzlikins-a CBJ draft choice playing in Europe-will live up to his billings and be Bob's replacement. But, in any case, Bob's time is up in Columbus. Time to move him.

thats a shame, I like watching The Bob, he is easily a top 3 goalie when hes on and is entertaining to boot. Ive always felt that he along with Lundqvist stole more games than any goalie in hockey. I grew up watching Billy Smith and he was an ornery fellow. he'd rather spear you in the gonads With his stick if you got too close and The Bob has that same "who the frac do you think you are" attitude in the crease. and I just think it helps the team play with confidence.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
thats a shame, I like watching The Bob, he is easily a top 3 goalie when hes on and is entertaining to boot. Ive always felt that he along with Lundqvist stole more games than any goalie in hockey
Until this year, that was mostly the case.

I think he rebounds next season with his new team. He's too young to have lost it. I'm pretty sure that the dynamics of the contract situation were the primary cause of his lost season this year.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Until this year, that was mostly the case.

I think he rebounds next season with his new team. He's too young to have lost it. I'm pretty sure that the dynamics of the contract situation were the primary cause of his lost season this year.

well i hope for your sake he comes back, you dont know how much you miss that attitude until its gone. we tend to take it for granted when its there every day and when suddenly its not you can never quite relax until you find another. and trust me there aint many

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Analytics arguments aside this shows a wonderful example of not getting tot he slot enough and not protecting our own well enough. Pretty easy summary of the team's real problems.
Jackets have too much money tied up in bob, and main skill is on defense. We have maybe 3 top 6 forwards on this team, and then a bunch of Workman like players. Team needs rebalanced

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Jackets have too much money tied up in bob, and main skill is on defense. We have maybe 3 top 6 forwards on this team, and then a bunch of Workman like players. Team needs rebalanced

If our main skill is on defense why do we give up so many chances between the hash marks?

Sure our d men rate out great individually but our team d is terrible. No matter the goalie they won't stand a chance with those opportunities for the other team.

The part that reflects the most on our goalies from those charts is rebound control rather than ability to make the save. But even that is still an indictment off our d since they aren't clearing it and controlling it.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Analytics arguments aside this shows a wonderful example of not getting tot he slot enough and not protecting our own well enough. Pretty easy summary of the team's real problems.
Essentially showing our forwards play like a bunch of p**sies. We need a Hornqvist is the worst way.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Either waive him and hope some foolish GM claims him, give him away in a trade (if they can) or buy him out at 1/3rd. Buying him out would give the club another $3.2 million per year to acquire a replacement. And I have faith that Jarmo can identify the next Riley Nash for about that price.

Didn't see the game as I was at a highly entertaining ECHL game last night. 3 fights, many more skirmishes and the good guys won 7-1. But it's mind boggling how Wennberg can get 21:03 TOI. ZERO shots on goal, of course. It's time to bring up kids from Cleveland and send Worthless Wennie down. He's an NHLer in name only anymore.
Save the buyout for Dubinsky. Trade Wennberg for picks.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Having two players that don't want to be here is obviously affecting the team's play. Having only one NHL caliber center is on Jarmo (yes, I'm saying Dubinsky is done). And yes, coaching is a factor. I blame Torts for sticking with Larsen too long.

I also blame Tortorella for “not coaching offense”. The lack of structure is a detriment to our young forwards who are, ahem, underperforming.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Save the buyout for Dubinsky. Trade Wennberg for picks.

Dubinsky's buyout will cost $7.8 million. Wennberg $7.1 million.

Quite frankly, I think that the "addition by subtraction" is much greater getting rid of Wennberg. Dubinsky can be a 12th/13th forward for a year and then buy him out. Wennberg is poisonous to the offensive output of the team, Dubinsky isn't. 4 more years of Wennberg is unacceptable. A year more of Dubi is tolerable.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Dubinsky's buyout will cost $7.8 million. Wennberg $7.1 million.

Quite frankly, I think that the "addition by subtraction" is much greater getting rid of Wennberg. Dubinsky can be a 12th/13th forward for a year and then buy him out. Wennberg is poisonous to the offensive output of the team, Dubinsky isn't. 4 more years of Wennberg is unacceptable. A year more of Dubi is tolerable.
This frankly has me confused. They put up similar defensive statistics, and they're both overpaid for what they're currently bringing. Is this about what they're actually doing on the ice, or more "buy him out while we still have the 1/3 option"? (Because while that's a justifiable position, I'm pretty sure he still has more trade value than "dead cap space")

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If Wennberg can be traded, then I'd hold the buyout for Dubi. But with his current play, Wennberg is more detrimental to the team because he's taking up a top 3 center spot yet providing no ability to score goals or drive any scoring line. That 3rd line slot needs to be cleared for someone more offensively productive.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If Wennberg is bought out after this season, he'll cost $7.1 million. If he is bought out following the 2020-21 season, he'll cost $9.8 million.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If our main skill is on defense why do we give up so many chances between the hash marks?

Sure our d men rate out great individually but our team d is terrible. No matter the goalie they won't stand a chance with those opportunities for the other team.

The part that reflects the most on our goalies from those charts is rebound control rather than ability to make the save. But even that is still an indictment off our d since they aren't clearing it and controlling it.
Safe is death ? How many other teams have their defenseman continually jumping deep in the offensive zone . Forwards try to cover which hurts their productivity , plus how many forwards excel in skating backwards

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Having two players that don't want to be here is obviously affecting the team's play. Having only one NHL caliber center is on Jarmo (yes, I'm saying Dubinsky is done). And yes, coaching is a factor. I blame Torts for sticking with Larsen too long.
What about his roster management ? And handling of young skilled forwards ? Torts should have been 1 yr max . Growth of the franchise has hit a concrete wall

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
This frankly has me confused. They put up similar defensive statistics, and they're both overpaid for what they're currently bringing. Is this about what they're actually doing on the ice, or more "buy him out while we still have the 1/3 option"? (Because while that's a justifiable position, I'm pretty sure he still has more trade value than "dead cap space")
Faceoffs , plays with heart, goes to the hard areas .... not hard to figure out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad