another rumbling:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
take this with a grain of Salt...

Sabres and Rochester maybe in jeopardy again if no lease extension is signed by the end of this season...

from ESPN Rochester

as Portland folks are well aware, Pegula visited the Pirates once during the Sabres affiliation but chose to return to Rochester, essentially buying the Americans outright...

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
take this with a grain of Salt...

Sabres and Rochester maybe in jeopardy again if no lease extension is signed by the end of this season...

from ESPN Rochester

as Portland folks are well aware, Pegula visited the Pirates once during the Sabres affiliation but chose to return to Rochester, essentially buying the Americans outright...

but you forget that one time the Amerks had local ownership and now Portland doesn't have a team anymore

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
but you forget that one time the Amerks had local ownership and now Portland doesn't have a team anymore

I know that, I had to point that out, to another poster, hence why I phrased it here a bit differently, for those who may not be aware of it here and who do not peruse the Facebook pages/links....

as I said, a grain of salt, considering it comes from Hartford Hockey FB Page, which erroneously is stating moving the Pack to Portland...

IT just seems odd that it's a lease, not an ownership issue this time around, I don't expect anything to truly come of it....

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Have relatives up in Saratoga County in Clifton Park NY which is halfway between Albany and Glens Falls and they said there was mention on local ESPN radio sports show that there was a meeting in Albany between an NHL/AHL ownership group in an informal meeting with arena management and officials from Albany county late last week. The radio host stated he would have to assume it's the Rangers organization but with the NHL (********) designating Albany as Sabres territorial broadcast market who knows. Albany Americans ....... Interesting. That wouldn't sit well with people from Rochester OMG. If Springfield who for many years drew less then Albany can rebound, Albany can do it under the right circumstances. I am sure officials in Albany County would gladly give the Sabres a sweetheart deal.

RowdyFan42

Apr 22, 2015
Albany(-ish)
It's all a bunch of sabre rattling (pun intended). Rochester's been in the league for over 50 years, they're not going to let the Amerks slip away over a lease squabble. Unfortunately, some parties prefer to negotiate in the media rather than in the boardroom.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
They're going to move the team to Milwaukee so Milwaukee will have two AHL teams. :sarcasm:

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
I know that, I had to point that out, to another poster, hence why I phrased it here a bit differently, for those who may not be aware of it here and who do not peruse the Facebook pages/links....

as I said, a grain of salt, considering it comes from Hartford Hockey FB Page, which erroneously is stating moving the Pack to Portland...

IT just seems odd that it's a lease, not an ownership issue this time around, I don't expect anything to truly come of it....

do you even know how thewe arena in Rochester was designed its not PORTLAND

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
do you even know how thewe arena in Rochester was designed its not PORTLAND

blame HARTFORD HOCKEY FB, Disengage, they're the ones perpetuating an NHL FRANCHISE IN HARTFORD, NOWHERE IS PORTLAND MENTIONED except by an uninformed AHL Fan also perpetuating a move of either Rochester or Hartford to PORTLAND...

FACT IS, NOTHING HAS CHANGED SINCE SPRINGFIELD HOCKEY BOUGHT THE PIRATES:rant:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
News Flash!!!

City of Rochester New York to move to Portland, Maine. THe City of Rochester New York today announced that the entire city, buildings and all, will be moving to Portland, Maine at the end the current fiscal year.

Portland officials confirmed the move and are now looking for a location in which to move their city, buildings and all. Locations scouted have been Binghampton, Manchester, England, Hamburg, Germany, and Mew York, New York.

Film at 11.

:yo::nod::sarcasm:

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
blame HARTFORD HOCKEY FB, Disengage, they're the ones perpetuating an NHL FRANCHISE IN HARTFORD, NOWHERE IS PORTLAND MENTIONED except by an uninformed AHL Fan also perpetuating a move of either Rochester or Hartford to PORTLAND...

FACT IS, NOTHING HAS CHANGED SINCE SPRINGFIELD HOCKEY BOUGHT THE PIRATES:rant:

No but Hartford isn't New Haven as that arena has been demolished.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Axe has been correct in almost all his posts about the league going ons. you know why? He talks to all the league and team people that come in to Chicago. You know how I know? I was there with him on many occasions.

Just looks at all the posts. Teams are going to houston, colorado, utah, reno, portland, knoxville, knasas city, and they are leaving San Antonio, Milwaukee, Chicago, hartford, there are new teams being created and it seems like there are going to be 3 or 4 teams since they need one for Reno, Houston, Utah.

So with all these ridiculous rumours, sometimes you just gotta have some fun.

BTW, this just in, The city of Utica has decided to acquire to the city of Chicago in a deal that involves a bag of used pucks and hockey team to be named later. Film at 11. :razz:

Last edited by a moderator:

HWP1997

Nov 2, 2016

as I said, a grain of salt, considering it comes from Hartford Hockey FB Page, which erroneously is stating moving the Pack to Portland....

That Hartford page is run by delusional Whalers fans who've been saying for years now the Wolf Pack are moving. They refuse to support the NYR affiliation and will say anything just for the attention. Like you said, take what they say with a VERY fine grain of salt.

Reactions: Checkers Hockey

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

Kind of a mixed message if you ask me...in the beginning of the article they, pegula sports, says the story that they are moving is 100% false. But the last paragraph or so it says that PGE is exploring all options with a preference to working out an agreement with city of rochester.

So which is it...100% false or you are looking at all options? And if it's all options wouldn't that include moving the team?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Kind of a mixed message if you ask me...in the beginning of the article they, pegula sports, says the story that they are moving is 100% false. But the last paragraph or so it says that PGE is exploring all options with a preference to working out an agreement with city of rochester.

So which is it...100% false or you are looking at all options? And if it's all options wouldn't that include moving the team?

Reread the article.

Everything in it says they're not looking to move the team, that their primary choice is to extend their lease. It doesn't say anywhere that they won't move the team, only that moving the team is not what they want to do.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Reread the article.

Everything in it says they're not looking to move the team, that their primary choice is to extend their lease. It doesn't say anywhere that they won't move the team, only that moving the team is not what they want to do.

This is all a bunch of nonsense to begin with, and if I were a long time Amerks fan I would be ticked off more so then concerns of the team moving. First, the Pegulla's or whoever the Buffalo/Rochester ownership is should be ashamed of themselves for suggesting the War Memorial arena (BCA) is not up to standard. Despite being an older larger arena much has been done to improve the building. The Rochester arena is a better arena then the one in Syracuse, Utica, and Binghamton hands down. The Syracuse arena while might be historic and a tribute to those who served, that's where the luster ends in Syracuse. To suggest it's not suitable for AHL hockey let alone an NHL pre season gig (when NHL tune ups are sometimes played in community rinks) is a virulent slap to the Rochester community, they greedily trying to squeeze money out of the Rochester tax payers for luxury improvements.

The AHL is about development, it's not supposed to be an easy league for development reasons. It's where your dues are paid sweating out a grind of a season, three games in thee nights, and bus rides from Providence, to Utica, then down to Allentown, then back up to Albany for an early 5pm game. The War Memorial in Rochester is a fine AHL building. Lastly the Buffalo ownership group can't afford to insult not just the fans in Rochester or Monroe county but neighboring Western NY counties just outside of Rochester as well. Buffalo needs the fans from greater Rochester, it's a large chunk of their market. Could you see the Sabres yanking the Amerks from Rochester only to watch maybe the NY Rangers step in and say we will come there, we will do pre season games to. Does Buffalo really want to gamble with a good percentage of their supporters? I don't think so, and I think they should walk this line carefully so that's why they are saying this is premature rumors. The Amerks remind me of Albany's AHL teams. For years they didn't make the playoffs, fans slowly started losing interest, DI hockey come to rise along with other things to do, kids these days are into smart phones and devices, and lastly the media attention the team gets starts to dwindle until nobody cares anymore and fans start to feel as though they could care less if the team leaves. Buffalo better respect Rochester, their NHL franchise is too close to home not to, and the Sabres and Amerks are important piece of pro hockey. I don't think the Pegulla's are that stupid, or at least they need to stop looking like they are!

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
The Sabers owner gave the money to build the arena at Penn State which is named after him = Pegula Ice Arena. It almost seats 6,000. The Sabers have even played a pre-season game there. It also has an attached practice rink. I'm sure the team would get cheap rent. Parking would not be a problem.

Who knows, maybe he will move his team to St. College, PA - which would have a large base to draw fans from.

I thought when they were building the arena, they might try to put an ECHL team in the area. Now it might be an AHL team.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The Sabers owner gave the money to build the arena at Penn State which is named after him = Pegula Ice Arena. It almost seats 6,000. The Sabers have even played a pre-season game there. It also has an attached practice rink. I'm sure the team would get cheap rent. Parking would not be a problem.

Who knows, maybe he will move his team to St. College, PA - which would have a large base to draw fans from.

I thought when they were building the arena, they might try to put an ECHL team in the area. Now it might be an AHL team.

Yes, the game played in that state college arena was originally scheduled to be played in Rochester..

Pegulia must be one of these guys that thinks everything new is better than old........

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
Nightsquad we don't always agree. But your last post is 150% spot on. Great post. I could not agree more!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->