Speculation: Another missed opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Yet another trade deadline goes by and the Leafs do nothing to help their cause.

This was the perfect opportunity to help increase our chances to be successful in the playoffs before the wheels fall off this summer.

We all know Marner will cash in big time. Kapanen and Johnsson need contracts. This will push out talent the likes of Nylander. Gardiner will most likely walk (asset lost for nothing, yet again). Not to mention we will have no cap space to bring in any UFA’s. We will have to fill holes with AHL talent. Will they be ready? At this time, no one knows.

You’d think Id be more upset and emotional about yet another wasted deadlines, but sadly, it’s status quo. I really though Dubas was capable of catapulting our team into the upper echelon of competing teams for the cup, but sadly I was mistaken.

Now, I reckon, a bunch of you will think I’m a whiny baby, and well, you think what you want. I bleed blue and white and have since the 80’s. I want nothing more than to see the team I have loved for decades raise sports most sought after trophy, the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: dsred

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Yet another trade deadline goes by and the Leafs do nothing to help their cause.

This was the perfect opportunity to help increase our chances to be successful in the playoffs before the wheels fall off this summer.

We all know Marner will cash in big time. Kapanen and Johnsson need contracts. This will push out talent the likes of Nylander. Gardiner will most likely walk (asset lost for nothing, yet again). Not to mention we will have no cap space to bring in any UFA’s. We will have to fill holes with AHL talent. Will they be ready? At this time, no one knows.

You’d think Id be more upset and emotional about yet another wasted deadlines, but sadly, it’s status quo. I really though Dubas was capable of catapulting our team into the upper echelon of competing teams for the cup, but sadly I was mistaken.

Now, I reckon, a bunch of you will think I’m a whiny baby, and well, you think what you want. I bleed blue and white and have since the 80’s. I want nothing more than to see the team I have loved for decades raise sports most sought after trophy, the Stanley Cup.

What hypothetical trades would you have liked Dubas to make, exactly?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think this is doom and gloom as you suggest. The wheels are not about to fall off this summer. We have a large window to win the Cup. Relax.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
I just don’t get how teams can give up practically nothing for players like Stone and Simmons and we can’t aquire them. Muzzin got more than both of them and they are far better players.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I would have been okay with moving Gardiner for another roster player but I'm happy with Muzzin & Petan.

We need some more internal growth. I think that Montreal game was everything this team needed. A character win.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I guess the Sens was trying to trade Bracco for Stone straight up but Dubas said no. Then Flyers want Marchment for Simmons’s but Dubas said no too. Lastly, Canucks called and want to trade Tanev for future considerations but since Dubas already done that, he said no too.

On one hand, I kept reading stuff on this board about TB is too strong, Leafs should not do anything bc they are not 1-2players way from beating TB. Now that Leafs pretty much done nothing, people complains....

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I just don’t get how teams can give up practically nothing for players like Stone and Simmons and we can’t aquire them. Muzzin got more than both of them and they are far better players.

Wayne Simmons isn't better than Muzzin, nevermind "far better". Simmons is clearly on the decline and wasn't going to get 40 points this year.

Reactions: The Apologist

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Would you prefer that we go back to the JFJ era? You remember...overpay for UFA vets at the deadline at the expense of our future...then watch helplessly while the picks and prospects we dumped flourish with someone else while we flounder into mediocrity? Yeah...good times...
:deadhorse

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I guess the Sens was trying to trade Bracco for Stone straight up but Dubas said no. Then Flyers want Marchment for Simmons’s but Dubas said no too. Lastly, Canucks called and want to trade Tanev for future considerations but since Dubas already done that, he said no too.

On one hand, I kept reading stuff on this board about TB is too strong, Leafs should not do anything bc they are not 1-2players way from beating TB. Now that Leafs pretty much done nothing, people complains....

I don't know, I think Toronto can give TB a run for their money. I really do. That series, if it ever happens, goes 7.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Wayne Simmons isn't better than Muzzin, nevermind "far better". Simmons is clearly on the decline and wasn't going to get 40 points this year.

You’re right far better is a stretch, but Simmons’s would’ve been nice for the playoffs and apparently he cost basically nothing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Seriously Muzzin is the best d man traded in 2019.

Better to keep assets And see what’s available next year or the offseason than waste them on mediocre players

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
You’re right far better is a stretch, but Simmons’s would’ve been nice for the playoffs and apparently he cost basically nothing.

Who would you have bumped for the fourth line for him? Johnsson or Kapanen? How likely is it that Simmons would be significantly better than them?

Blair

Oct 15, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Nylander isn’t going anywhere this summer. Leafs got Muzzin. Other major deals would’ve had to be dollars in for dollars out. In 2-3 years when cheap talent will be extremely important for us you may actually be happy we didn’t empty the cupboard this year. I know some people wanted to trade a 2nd for Plekanec or whatever but we have a pretty good squad here and the team is on the right track.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Unfortunately I think you forgot that we got Muzzin. Who was one of arguably the best dman acquired. If that didn’t happen then I can understand your rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad