Another Lockout

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
First thing first: I am under the impression it will be from July first, 2020.

Is this right?

Second thing, will there be a lockout? Well, as the players union consistently has been overplaying their hand, they will most likely keeping on doing that... and a lockout will be there. :(

Early termination wouldn't take place until Sep 15th 2020, however the deadline to exercise the early termination is Sep 1st 2019 for the NHL and Sep 15th 2019 for the PA.

Personally at this point I'm guessing neither side will exercise the early termination option. Just doesn't seem to be enough noise from either side that they're considering doing so.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I know but four lockouts with being commissioner he might end up having to take the blame.

He has had the job for 26 years, and he is 67 now. He isn't gonna have the job forever, anyways.

Even if we love him. (What, you don't love him? What is wrong with you guys? :naughty:)

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Early termination wouldn't take place until Sep 15th 2020, however the deadline to exercise the early termination is Sep 1st 2019 for the NHL and Sep 15th 2019 for the PA.

Personally at this point I'm guessing neither side will exercise the early termination option. Just doesn't seem to be enough noise from either side that they're considering doing so.

Yeah, thanks... So basically next season...

That's the first payday for the players, Sep 15th?

But the owners knows they can't start next season without it, 'cause they know the players will strike at the worst moment if they do. Just starting up Sept 15th, and then playing for a month and a half and then closing it, wouldn't make much sense for the owners if they don't have the deal, uh. And they would in essence pay the players for a month every two weeks? Cause the players is paid their full wage over half the year? So, they close it the earliest moment if they don't have it by then.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I say add all expansion fees to HRR and implement the new cap asap. My math (81.5x31x2)+1150(expansion fees)=6203/2/32(inc Seattle)=a new cap of 96.9 HELL YEA!!

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
No lockout. I think sports leagues and players are aware that the competition for market share is just too strong now days.

This actually don't solve it. The problem is if both sides expect the other side to yield due to this. And if, say, the players thinks this means they can extort better deals, because the owners would really hate a lockout, you will still have the lockout when the owners say they can't do that. And the players think, well, you cave then, or the leauge goes down.

It is a game of chicken. Chicken is a bad game. Very bad game.

Only floorball in the halls in 2020-21 season, and then the audience will have forgotten hockey exists. Floorball is fun. :(

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yeah, thanks... So basically next season...

That's the first payday for the players, Sep 15th?

But the owners knows they can't start next season without it, 'cause they know the players will strike at the worst moment if they do. Just starting up Sept 15th, and then playing for a month and a half and then closing it, wouldn't make much sense for the owners if they don't have the deal, uh. And they would in essence pay the players for a month every two weeks? Cause the players is paid their full wage over half the year? So, they close it the earliest moment if they don't have it by then.

Players first payday is day 1 of the season, though they can get some incidental costs covered in training camp.

If either side terminates the CBA they won't even open training camps without a new CBA agreed upon. Training camps usually start 20 days before day 1 of the season. So right around the 15th most years.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I know but four lockouts with being commissioner he might end up having to take the blame.

The problem is the players think they're worth more than they are. The PA has caused every lockout with their idiotic voting.

They think they're worth as much as the NFL, MLB, and NBA. The simple fact is they aren't worth that much.

Reactions: nofehr

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I see McDavid being a vocal leader in this negotiation and leading the charge to a win win deal for. Org aides without missing any hockey and adding the Olympics back. The kid wants cups and won’t settle for any asterix on his championships.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
There'll be another lockout because the players are dumb. Every time there has been a lockout the players get screwed more than the last time and this time will be no different.

Billionaire owners can out wait the players who get paid every 2 weeks. Sure the big stars get their signing bonuses and they don't care, but that's because sports are broken and the average player is always the one who gets screwed.

An NHL player has like 10 years to earn income in the NHL, but no let's holdout for a year and take 1/10 of that away so we can make no more after because we won't win against the owners.

That isn't to say I don't think this entire process isn't f***ing stupid. Why can't you start working on the new CBA now, why do you have to wait 2 weeks before it expires? Morons.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Strike - no hockey - Fans are missing out.

Strike averted - increased contracts - increased ticket prices - fans are missing out.

Guess who really loses, but has no voice in it ?

This is a terrible take.

Ticket prices are set where the market will support. If the seats are empty, the prices come down.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
I don't have the depth of understanding most of you do in this area. Just thinking in terms of negotiation though: who has more to lose, who is taking a bigger risk with a lockout? Owners or players?

Owners have more $ at risk, plus they should be more concerned re the long term growth of the league. Players though have a relatively short window to play and earn.

Don't see a clear answer.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
The problem is the players think they're worth more than they are. The PA has caused every lockout with their idiotic voting.

They think they're worth as much as the NFL, MLB, and NBA. The simple fact is they aren't worth that much.
NBA league revenue revenue roughly twice that of NHL. And salaries roughly twice. Economics tend to drive this stuff.

Why NHL superstars don’t make as much as NBA players

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The good news is the fans can have a huge impact on things. All revenue streams (merchandise sales, tickets, television, etc.,) come directly from the pockets of supporters of the league.

My Best-Carey

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I don't have the depth of understanding most of you do in this area. Just thinking in terms of negotiation though: who has more to lose, who is taking a bigger risk with a lockout? Owners or players?

Owners have more $ at risk, plus they should be more concerned re the long term growth of the league. Players though have a relatively short window to play and earn.

Don't see a clear answer.

Players will always have more to lose.

A Billionare won't lose anything on a lost season, they don't pay anyone to work for them (this is over simplified). Hell, with merchandise sales they could even come out on top at the end of a lock out year. What money are they risking? The value of their organization? No teams value is going down that much during a lockout where it can't recover the following year.

The players have everything to lose. If you signed a contract with no signing bonus you get paid $0 for the year. If you're a guy like Derek Ryan who didn't enter the league until you were 28 or if you're a young guy who is 24, but will eventually fizzle out at 28/29 like Cheechoo did, you have like 5-6 years to earn fairly decent money at the NHL level. Derek Ryan signed a $9.5 mil 3 year contract, you take one year away and it's $6 mil for 2 years, you're now 34 when this deal is done. You have lost like 25% of your career earnings because of a lockout.

Owners have almost nothing to lose in a lockout and have no money at risk, it's why they'll win every CBA (like they have the past 2). I mean you are killing the league with lockouts and the league can't grow as fans are moving towards the NBA these days, but franchise values are all up and will continue to go up with the new TV deal the from the States that will be signed in the coming years.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I have defended the NHL to everyone who says “the lockouts killed my interest” I think these are things said by casual fans of hockey who never had true passion for the game, it’s an easy out when someone brings up hockey and a guy wants to sound cool but doesent know much about the game.

However if there is another one I don’t know how much more I could take. I’ve only Watched hockey for 25 years since I was seven and this would the fourth LOckout. Four lockouts and never a cup would be pretty damn tragic.

(And I realize I’m not the only one in this boat, there’s plenty of other sabres,Canucks,leafs fans in this spot if they’ve watched from 94 or earlier on too)

Anyway there is enough issues at stake for their to be one, IMO, nothing worth losing a season over and the guy who brought up The revenue sharing from Seattle had a good point.

Expect to hear lots about it but also expect there to not be one.

However stranger things have happened.

First thing first: I am under the impression it will be from July first, 2020.

Is this right?

Second thing, will there be a lockout? Well, as the players union consistently has been overplaying their hand, they will most likely keeping on doing that... and a lockout will be there. :(

I don’t think there will be a lockout but expect to hear sooooo much about it because that’s what grabs people’s attention, I’m
Sick of the word lockout let along the actual process of a lockout.

Thats what every intermission is going to be about for awhile Which gives me an excuse to do dishes or something else I hate.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
There’s a new USA TV deal in 2021... a lockout would mess with that

To much money at stake this time around

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
I cannot see there being another lockout as I think both sides realise there is a greater risk to damaging the market if there is one. Here are my thoughts with regards to the points listed in the first post:

Olympics: If players are not allowed there will be no strike. Only a minority of players get to play at the Olympics so if this gets added to the CBA then it will be an added bonus. The owners will want some sort of trade off for this and I cannot see the majority of players making a major concession for Olympic participation. Outside of a few international markets (China), the NHL has stated it has not seen any benefit to Olympic participation (I blame the greedy IOC), however, I do believe this will be added to the CBA.

Escrow: This is not going away unless the players and the owners can figure out a way to account for the change in salary cap each season. Both sides have an escalator and if I remember correctly this is the first year that the players have not used the maximum 5%.

HHR splits: This an interesting point and I may be missing some information on it but I believe this is mainly to due with expansion money? I cannot see the owners giving this up and I do side with them on this since expansion fees are not a reliable source of income.

Contract lengths/structure: This will change but most likely not in the way the players will want. I cannot see the lengths getting shorter without some sort of major player concession (and I cannot think of one right now) and the structure will probably change because we are starting to see a trend were teams with a lot of liquid capital can front load the contracts for an advantage. This is not a shot at Toronto as there are a few teams that can do this but they are the minority. You can blame both sides for this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad