GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Do you want to argue with Websters?

caste

noun
\ ˈkast also ˈkäst \
Definition of caste
1: one of the hereditary social classes in Hinduism that restrict the occupation of their members and their association with the members of other castes
2a: a division of society based on differences of wealth, inherited rank or privilege, profession, occupation, or race
b: the position conferred by caste standing : PRESTIGEart and religion have lost caste— F. L. Baumer
3: a system of rigid social stratification characterized by hereditary status, endogamy, and social barriers sanctioned by custom, law, or religion
4: a specialized form (such as the worker of an ant or bee) of a polymorphic social insect that carries out a particular function in the colonysoldier castes for fighting enemy ants
None of these contradict anything I've said.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
None of these contradict anything I've said.

": one of the hereditary social classes in Hinduism that restrict the occupation of their members and their association with the members of other castes"

So a poor person can't interact with the truly wealthy in the US is what you're saying?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
": one of the hereditary social classes in Hinduism that restrict the occupation of their members and their association with the members of other castes"

So a poor person can't interact with the truly wealthy in the US is what you're saying?
Don't know, let me ask my billionaire friends.

Reactions: Regal

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Do you really think elite athletes at age 16 only have the chance to make one sport?

Do you not hear the all the reports of top recruits choosing between major sports before or during university?

I think it's a problem that our very best players get paid less than role players in other leagues, and that this affects the interest our sport holds in the minds of elite athletes.

Yeah I hear it all the time, whether they want to choose between basketball and hockey.

Oh wait, that has literally never happened.

Remind me when an elite basketball player or baseballer can skate at an NHL level.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Terrible take master strikes again.

So, people who work hard and have kids who like hockey shouldn't be allowed to take their families to a game because it's likely going to cause them to worry about money later on ?

Why don't you offer up some of your money and pay for those to attend some games?

Should a family outing to go see a game really cost them 5, 600 or more ?

Hockey has already squeezed low income families out of it, now it's starting to squeeze the middle class out of it.

Soon, if it's so lucky, hockey will just be like basketball where people just go to games because it's a cool thing to do, while the fans can't get in.

That’s already Toronto

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I think we'll see the owners fight for some caps/restrictions on signing bonuses, like only 50% of contract can be paid in bonuses or something to that effect

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I’m ok with them not being able to agree on Olympics, but they MUST come to an agreement on some sort of best on best international tournament, we can’t just not have one.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Didn’t the owners offer the olympics to keep the players from opting out and refuse?

That was a pretty big carrot.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
As wired as this sounds I actually hope there is another lockout, because if it means Bettman finally gets fired I'm all for it.

Rest assured, he's not likely to ever get fired. It's well known the owners love the guy. Lockout or no, unless the league tanks entirely, he's not going anywhere. Hate to crap on that mental fantasy man, but it's not happening.

Reactions: Frenchy

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Yeah I hear it all the time, whether they want to choose between basketball and hockey.

Oh wait, that has literally never happened.

Remind me when an elite basketball player or baseballer can skate at an NHL level.

The point isn't that they switch at 16, the point is that they are skilled and involved in all of the sports but pick one option over another. I am not saying a point guard from Brooklyn decides he's gonna be a hockey player at 16.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Man, can't the NHL just offer the NHLPA shorter training camps and more mandatory off days in return for everything they want? #NFLNegotiations

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
as much as I want another lockout(they're fun to follow and the season is too long anyways) unfortunately I just don't see it happening this time

none of these issues seem important enough for either side to be even remotely worth the financial hit a lockout would cause

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Owner
I don't have the depth of understanding most of you do in this area. Just thinking in terms of negotiation though: who has more to lose, who is taking a bigger risk with a lockout? Owners or players?

Owners have more $ at risk, plus they should be more concerned re the long term growth of the league. Players though have a relatively short window to play and earn.

Don't see a clear answer.
Players have much more to lose which is why the final answer tends to screw them. They talk a big talk, willing to give up a season, and come crawling back half way through when the owners ignore them and say enjoy your vaca guys, having then blown the season and the negotiations as well. "THIS time we MEAN it!!!". Yea right.

Owners have a huge nest egg. Most own the teams primarily for enjoyment and secondarily for financial gain. They can bite a season off and not sweat it. 90% of the players can't do that. They have families and life styles to keep, and even the responsible ones who go play overseas to make a buck are not happy about doing it one bit, but have to sing a different tune for negotiations sake. "I love making less money to play in a country where I don't speak the language and don't get the culture. Not seeing my family and friends for extensive periods of time is as well refreshing. I look forward to doing this as long as it takes" lol. Not a viable solution and not everyone can do that anyway.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Socialized Hockey. I like it. Let the government take over, run and control the NHL. Everyone can get in for a subsidized income based ticket. Please come armed with your W2 and Accountant, no ticket necessary!

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
as much as I want another lockout(they're fun to follow and the season is too long anyways) unfortunately I just don't see it happening this time

none of these issues seem important enough for either side to be even remotely worth the financial hit a lockout would cause
Fun to follow? I find hockey fun to follow. For litigious BS I tune in to CSPAN

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Owner

Players have much more to lose which is why the final answer tends to screw them. They talk a big talk, willing to give up a season, and come crawling back half way through when the owners ignore them and say enjoy your vaca guys, having then blown the season and the negotiations as well. "THIS time we MEAN it!!!". Yea right.

Owners have a huge nest egg. Most own the teams primarily for enjoyment and secondarily for financial gain. They can bite a season off and not sweat it. 90% of the players can't do that. They have families and life styles to keep, and even the responsible ones who go play overseas to make a buck are not happy about doing it one bit, but have to sing a different tune for negotiations sake. "I love making less money to play in a country where I don't speak the language and don't get the culture. Not seeing my family and friends for extensive periods of time is as well refreshing. I look forward to doing this as long as it takes" lol. Not a viable solution and not everyone can do that anyway.
Neither have a whole lot to lose. The players just go elsewhere and the owners will not go bankrupt.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Neither have a whole lot to lose. The players just go elsewhere and the owners will not go bankrupt.
Players consistently lose the battle because they blink first.....because they have more to lose. Not all players can go elsewhere, they need to be offered a contract in a year where there would be tons of competition from other locked out/striking players. Even then, the pay isn't the same, have to live separated from families, not the same facilities they're used to and the life style they experience often changes as well.

Owners? Nothing changes for them, just a few extra million lost, no biggie. Ya think Papa Owner is telling Trophy Wife to spend less this year because of a lockout? No way. Life goes on for the owner just the same, which is why the owners inevitably come out on top.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Players consistently lose the battle because they blink first.....because they have more to lose. Not all players can go elsewhere, they need to be offered a contract in a year where there would be tons of competition from other locked out/striking players. Even then, the pay isn't the same, have to live separated from families, not the same facilities they're used to and the life style they experience often changes as well.

Owners? Nothing changes for them, just a few extra million lost, no biggie. Ya think Papa Owner is telling Trophy Wife to spend less this year because of a lockout? No way. Life goes on for the owner just the same, which is why the owners inevitably come out on top.
The pay is not the same but still reasonable. Players of all sports constantly sign all across the globe. I'm sure they could find a place to stay, for their family as well. Half the NHL consists of displaced players.
Unfortunately, you are right, though. It' always the players that blink first. I'd like to see them taking a harder stance.

Reactions: romba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->