Another Lockout

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
With the opt out deadlines a month away what do you guys think will happen?

I think the players will most definitely opt out and that it’s extremely likely we will see another lockout. The players feel like the last go around they conceded more and are likely to hold more firm in this negotiation.

Big hurdles this time around:
- escrow is the big one.
- HHR splits
- Expansion money
- Olympic participation
- Contract lengths/Structure

So what do you guys think, will the two sides be able to come together before a work stoppage or will we see digging in from both the players and the owners. The good news is they have over a year to sort it out, hopefully they will.

Reactions: Ippenator

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Big ones from the players side is going to be escrow and Olympics. And from owners it’s going to be further contract control such as a maximum salary increase coming off of an ELC.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Big ones from the players side is going to be escrow and Olympics. And from owners it’s going to be further contract control such as a maximum salary increase coming off of an ELC.

For the owners, I don't think they're willing to risk losing the expansion fee cut from Seattle + the revenue they'll bring in during 2021.

They can still hammer out a new deal before next september if they opt out, but why have the insecurity?

Makes sense for them to get their issues in hand in 2022 when they have the money.

If it happens, it'll be because the players opted out.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Big hurdles this time around:

- escrow is the big one. Maybe but they don't have to use the escalator and it ensures an even 50/50 split of profit.

- HHR splits Might get solved at the same time as escrow. Maybe they keep escrow but include all HRR in the 50/50

- Expansion money Kind of the same thing as HHR, but the players get 23 new jobs out of expansion, and the cap goes up so more money for them. Doubt we see anything as expansion is already beneficial to both sides.

- Olympic participation Players will win this one, I suspect it is used to keep escrow

- Contract lengths/Structure Meh. League shortened the contracts and players have since shortened it further. Players will like shorter deals. Only way this is an issue is a separate cap for RFA deals.

All in all, there is nothing here worth losing a season and money for both sides over like the other times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
For the owners, I don't think they're willing to risk losing the expansion fee cut from Seattle + the revenue they'll bring in during 2021.

They can still hammer out a new deal before next september if they opt out, but why have the insecurity?

Makes sense for them to get their issues in hand in 2022 when they have the money.

If it happens, it'll be because the players opted out.
It’s just my thoughts, who knows how it’ll play out. But I think in this bargaining agreement it’s going to be one huge poker chip from the owners in trying to curb these massive off of ELC contracts with a willingness to take a handful of small chips from the players.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I'll predict no opt outs, but no extension either.
I agree with that...
I know the owners wanted the NMC out last one and it's still in place, plus Bettman or Daly (can't remember which one) have mentioned about "having to limit the bonuses... So yep, no opt-out but no extension either in 2021

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
No one will have any motivation for this and this union is not saddled between a crook and an idiot who won't concede defeat even when he's clearly working with no hand to play.

Collective ownership however, could use this as impetus to force Beckman's on the expansion draft after Seattle. No one wants another LVK. The long term success of a new team does nothing for individual team success. They never want that happening again.

Second, ownership is not liking these cap penalties and they'll want them gone. I can see the ownership demanding the reduction from 7 years to 5. The union would fight this so I could see some sort of grandfather clause where this wouldn't apply to current contracts. There could even be a dispute over NMC's but that will go nowhere.

Last edited:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
No one will have any motivation for this and this union is not saddled between a crook and an idiot who won't concede defeat even when he's clearly working with no hand to play.

Collective ownership however, could use this as impetus to force Beckman's on the expansion draft after Seattle. No one wants another LVK. The long term success of a new team does nothing for individual team success. They never want that happening again.

Second, ownership is not liking these cap penalties and they'll want them gone. I can see the ownership demanding the reduction from 7 years to 5. The union would fight this so I could see some sort of grandfather clause where this wouldn't apply to current contracts. There could even be a dispute over NMC's but that will go nowhere.

The lockout will be for years if there's a 5 year max limit on new contracts.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Not sure the players can harp on escrow payments.

Get rid of the escalator option if it’s too tempting to use when it’s clear maybe it should t be no?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I think salary structure will be a big one - limits to signing bonuses, changing how much salary can be front loaded, etc..

Calculation and effect of buyouts could be an issue (buyout proof contracts are making it tough for teams to free up space to sign free agents, meaning it's bad for everyone except the player with the buyout proof contract).

Reactions: iamjs

Thedogo

Dogs are superior to humans in every way
Mar 16, 2019
Chicago's south side
As wired as this sounds I actually hope there is another lockout, because if it means Bettman finally gets fired I'm all for it.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
First thing first: I am under the impression it will be from July first, 2020.

Is this right?

Second thing, will there be a lockout? Well, as the players union consistently has been overplaying their hand, they will most likely keeping on doing that... and a lockout will be there. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad