Another former player backs a cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
This time it's Phil Esposito. Anyone notice a trend?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=111752

1/18/2005

TAMPA, Fla. (CP) - Hall of Famer Phil Esposito doesn't understand why NHL players are adamant about not accepting a salary cap.

"Well, for the first time in my lifetime, I don't agree with the players," Esposito said Tuesday. "I think they're wrong this time. It's the first time, ever, that I ever thought the players were wrong. And this time I just do not understand what the big deal is with a salary cap. I just don't understand it.

"(It's) not going to affect anybody, but it might take away the 10-11 million dollar player which, there is no room for it anyway in the National Hockey League, because the revenues just don't justify it."

Esposito, eighth all-time in NHL history with 1,590 regular-season points (717-873), isn't sure the season can be saved.

"If they come to an agreement tomorrow, they wouldn't be able to play until probably Feb. 1. So it'd be February, March, April, three months. . .

"So I don't know. It's touch and go. . ."

Esposito has been the radio analyst for the Tampa Bay Lightning for the last four seasons and was the club's general manager for the first seven seasons. He was also GM of the New York Rangers from 1986-87 to 1988-89.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Yes, the players are fine with a cap, the owners are fine with a cap, the fans are fine with a cap, ex players are fine with a cap.

The only people who arent are Goodenow, Strachan, Brooks and a couple of his sheep on HF boards.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Steve L said:
Yes, the players are fine with a cap, the owners are fine with a cap, the fans are fine with a cap, ex players are fine with a cap.

The only people who arent are Goodenow, Strachan, Brooks and a couple of his sheep on HF boards.

Exactly. Accept a cap now instead of a year from now, and let's play hockey. :cry:

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
There was an article in the National Post just before Christmas where Esposito stated that he was contemplating becoming involved with the Ricky Smith-led WHA.

If this is the case, then it would be understandable then if he was advocating lower player salaries. Although, if I recall correctly, he wasn't completely warm to the idea of a $15 million cap in that league.

Wetcoaster

CarlRacki said:
This time it's Phil Esposito. Anyone notice a trend?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=111752

1/18/2005

TAMPA, Fla. (CP) - Hall of Famer Phil Esposito doesn't understand why NHL players are adamant about not accepting a salary cap.

"Well, for the first time in my lifetime, I don't agree with the players," Esposito said Tuesday. "I think they're wrong this time. It's the first time, ever, that I ever thought the players were wrong. And this time I just do not understand what the big deal is with a salary cap. I just don't understand it.

"(It's) not going to affect anybody, but it might take away the 10-11 million dollar player which, there is no room for it anyway in the National Hockey League, because the revenues just don't justify it."

Esposito, eighth all-time in NHL history with 1,590 regular-season points (717-873), isn't sure the season can be saved.

"If they come to an agreement tomorrow, they wouldn't be able to play until probably Feb. 1. So it'd be February, March, April, three months. . .

"So I don't know. It's touch and go. . ."

Esposito has been the radio analyst for the Tampa Bay Lightning for the last four seasons and was the club's general manager for the first seven seasons. He was also GM of the New York Rangers from 1986-87 to 1988-89.

He also drafted Eric Lindros when he owned the OHL Greyhounds knowing full well that Lindros was not going to play in the Soo. It allowed him to punch up the value the team and threaten to move the team out of the Soo to the US (Detroit Compuware was one of the parties interested and they jumped their bid from $600,000 to $1 million). Local investors paid the inflated price plus abonus to Phil and he is to this day persona non grata in his home town for that move.

His first round picks while GM of the Rangers - Jayson More, Troy Malette and Murray Duval. He did slightly better as GM of the Lightning but then he should have - he was picking the top due to how bad the Lightneing were in those years

Employed by the Lightning so he must be unbiased.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
He also drafted Eric Lindros when he owned the OHL Greyhounds knowing full well that Lindros was not going to play in the Soo. It allowed him to punch up the value the team and threaten to move the team out of the Soo to the US (Detroit Compuware was one of the parties interested and they jumped their bid from $600,000 to $1 million). Local investors paid the inflated price plus abonus to Phil and he is to this day persona non grata in his home town for that move.

His first round picks while GM of the Rangers - Jayson More, Troy Malette and Murray Duval. He did slightly better as GM of the Lightning but then he should have - he was picking the top due to how bad the Lightneing were in those years

Employed by the Lightning so he must be unbiased.

So let's get this straight ... he drafted poorly as a GM, so his opinion on the lockout is therefore irrelevant? Sigh ... :shakehead

Wetcoaster

CarlRacki said:
So let's get this straight ... he drafted poorly as a GM, so his opinion on the lockout is therefore irrelevant? Sigh ... :shakehead

He is NHL mangement - what do you expect him to say. I was simply questioning his judgement and pointed how he did in locals in the Soo. Seemsd to fit in well with the NHL owners.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
He is NHL mangement - what do you expect him to say. I was simply questioning his judgement and pointed how he did in locals in the Soo. Seemsd to fit in well with the NHL owners.

He's a radio announcer. How that qualifies as "NHL management", I'm not quite sure.
Regardless, there seems to be another former player every day stepping out to say the PA is acting foolishly. Are they all just ownership lemmings? Of course not. But labeling them as such allows you to avoid discussing the merits of what they say.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
CarlRacki said:
He's a radio announcer. How that qualifies as "NHL management", I'm not quite sure.
Regardless, there seems to be another former player every day stepping out to say the PA is acting foolishly. Are they all just ownership lemmings? Of course not. But labeling them as such allows you to avoid discussing the merits of what they say.

He was the front man for the Japanese mafia when he was the GM of the Lightening. No him a Brian Burke don't have a vested interest in siding with the owners. Geez maybe they might want to be GM's again in there lifetime.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
vanlady said:
He was the front man for the Japanese mafia when he was the GM of the Lightening. No him a Brian Burke don't have a vested interest in siding with the owners. Geez maybe they might want to be GM's again in there lifetime.

There you go again. You know you're backing the losing side when you attack the person rather than argument.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
CarlRacki said:
There you go again. You know you're backing the losing side when you attack the person rather than argument.

As for your arguement, I have only seen a half dozen retired players step out and say anything about the lockout, and you think I exagerate and don't supply an arguement. Funny how I am supposed to swallow everything a former GM has had to say just because he once upon a time played hockey. He was a GM for two different teams, that makes him management.

BrownWonder

mr gib said:
you must be gaffed
Man you should really stop posting, you should get gaffed!. Phil does speak the truth. And you post garbage
:madfire:

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
How about if said individual is admittedly interested in being President of the new WHA?

What chief executive of a sports league would come out and say that athletes are, as a whole, underpaid?

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Son of Steinbrenner said:
shouldn't the title of this thread be

ANOTHER FORMER GM BACKS A LOCKOUT?

Didn't know Adam Oates, Craig Hartsburg and Patrick Roy were former GMs. Thanks for the info.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
How about if said individual is admittedly interested in being President of the new WHA?

What chief executive of a sports league would come out and say that athletes are, as a whole, underpaid?

If that was true then Esposito would be happy if the players never settled this dispute. Many NHL players would jump at the chance to work in the 15 million hard capped WHA next season just like most of the NHL Euro players and some of the N.A. NHL guys did this year. :banghead: :madfire: :shakehead

SENSible1*

And the PA supporters emmulate the organization by continuing to stick their heads in the sand.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
CarlRacki said:
Didn't know Adam Oates, Craig Hartsburg and Patrick Roy were former GMs. Thanks for the info.
thats great but shouldn't the title of THIS thread be changed to another former gm backs a cap?

Kings16

Jun 30, 2004
Son of Steinbrenner said:
thats great but shouldn't the title of THIS thread be changed to another former gm backs a cap?

Nice comeback, no really, it was an honest effort. Good job. Keep up the good posts.

The title should read: "Someone in the Know comments on labour situation, but misinformed fans will flame away".

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Kings16 said:
Nice comeback, no really, it was an honest effort. Good job. Keep up the good posts.

The title should read: "Someone in the Know comments on labour situation, but misinformed fans will flame away".
how is espo in the know? his voice in the hockey world hasn't mattered for 10 years :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad