Another day, another Islanders arena proposal (UPD - Bettman issues deadline warning)

Dado

As someone who now lives on the opposite coast, I would adopt a Brooklyn-based team if for no other reason than they're from Brooklyn.

But it's gotta have "Brooklyn" in the name.

Or at least a player named Kotter.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I would adopt a Brooklyn-based team if for no other reason than they're from Brooklyn. But it's gotta have "Brooklyn" in the name.

Ditto. Would just have to be the Brooklyn Americans, the fabulous heritage jerseys & all. Still, what a thing to even contemplate. The loss of the once proud Islanders, the "Forgotten Dynasty" crunched as they were between the Habs of the 70's & Oilers of the 80's, never really receiving the respect they deserved. Who knew (beyond ownership/mgmnt & the NHL) until just a few years ago that they'd been bleeding red ink since their inception. Crazy.

uhlaw97

Jun 8, 2011
Katy, TX
this is a good question that has no good answers.

Lease expires in 2015 and Wang has stated that the team will move out of the collisium at that time. (only 3 years left)

Wang refuses to play ball anymore with nasseau county. (including the belmont development)

If wang wants to build a new arena somewhere else on long island, he's got 3 years to do it. Quebec's arena is slated to open in 2015 and is breaking ground in September this year. Wang is running out of time on the new arena front if he really intends to move out in 2015.

Looking at existing arenas, the brooklyn arena (Barclays Center) appears to be the only viable option on long island. That, however, comes with the caveat that as a secondary tenant, revenue streams will be limited and seating capacity for hockey in that arena is 14,500. Winnipeg can make it work at 15,000, but their ticket prices are higher. Considering the isles would keep their MSG tv contract (~25M a year by 2015), they could still make it work there.

Outside of that, the other options would be relocation, either with wang as an owner or through a sale.

-Kansas City: Sprint Center makes enough money without a tenant, so doubtful they would give up significant revenue streams to a hockey team that moved there.

-Seattle: Hard to believe Key Arena would be a viable option at a similar capacity but no mega tv deal forthcoming. The new Seattle Arena development plan is in it's very early stages, but if it has broken ground by 2015, key arena could be viable as a temporary venue. Steve Balmer is involved in the new seattle arena development group. At that point, they need to get approval from the NHL for relocation and purchase the team from wang.

-Portland: Rose garden is a viable NHL site, but you need interest/cooperation from paul allen.

-Quebec: Arena will be ready in time, PKP needs to get approval from the NHL for relocation and purchase the team from wang.

-Southern Ontario: Arena plans in markham are starting up, may be ready in time. Need ownership and then to get approval from the NHL for relocation and purchase the team from wang.

I personally speculate that Wang will wait to see what happens with this CBA before deciding whether he wants to continue to own this team or not. If he does, he may reengage with nasseau county developments or assess the viability of moving the team to brooklyn (are the devils and isles still scheduled to play a preseason game there this year?). If not, all bets are off.

You strangely left out Houston, which is the largest market in North America without a NHL team, and which has a state of the art, 18,000 seat arena waiting.

seeweed

Mar 19, 2011
Toronto
The franchise was in the ground before Wang got there. You had Spano followed by Gluckstern/Milstein.

Well I can't speak for everyone but I want a couple of more teams up in Canada so you show me a struggling team with a questionable future and I have a home for it. In Canada. Until QC/Markham/Hamilton all have teams every team that struggles will be a candidate to move. I really don't care if its Phoenix, Nashville, Carolina, or Florida that fills those spots

isn't wang the one that ruined free agency for the league when he negotiated the dipietro contract? seriously, he should leave the team just for that. milbury also had a hand in destroying this franchise.

hamilton and markham will never get a team. but it's ok to dream.:)

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
Do you no what I find funny in all this discussion. NVMC is a dump but LI is one of the most beautiful places in the country. The North Shore is home to many wealthy people like wall street types, movie and music Stars, But its not good enough for Hockey players. Its bizarre. The entire NHL thinks LI is the Marriott Hotel across from the NVMC. JT said the reason he signed long term is LI is a great place to live. Nabokov resigned mid season with a team he held out against because his wife demanded they stay. What FA are missing is that the community on LI is one of the best in North America and a short train ride to its biggest play ground NYC. I guess made up stereotypes that get spread in the NHLPA hall are hard to break.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
So, local billionaire Nelson Peltz, who's tried to buy the team and been rebuffed,can step in with another offer.
Yes, he's worth $1.1 billion, but he's 70 and probably doing estate planning now. How long wiould he be interested in the Islanders. And billionaires are among the greatest tightwads. They didn't get to be billionaires by throwing away money.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yes, he's worth $1.1 billion, but he's 70 and probably doing estate planning now. How long wiould he be interested in the Islanders. And billionaires are among the greatest tightwads. They didn't get to be billionaires by throwing away money.

Peltz and his sons are big hocky fans.The press says he has an enclosed ice rink in his Bedford, NY, estate, along with a Zamboni machine. In a 2007 interview, Peltz said that for his kids it was “gym, ice and homework.â€

Several yrs ago Melnyk and Peltz both wanted to buy the Senators.Melnyk beat out Peltz's bid.
After getting brushed off by Wang ,Peltz turned his attention to the NJ Devils but their owner only wants a minority partner.Peltz wants to be the majority owner and control the team.

Funny that NY billionaire Peltz would be 'throwing away money on the NYI'.Yet out of state buyers wouldn't be?:sarcasm:

KH1

Do you no what I find funny in all this discussion. NVMC is a dump but LI is one of the most beautiful places in the country. The North Shore is home to many wealthy people like wall street types, movie and music Stars, But its not good enough for Hockey players. Its bizarre. The entire NHL thinks LI is the Marriott Hotel across from the NVMC. JT said the reason he signed long term is LI is a great place to live. Nabokov resigned mid season with a team he held out against because his wife demanded they stay. What FA are missing is that the community on LI is one of the best in North America and a short train ride to its biggest play ground NYC. I guess made up stereotypes that get spread in the NHLPA hall are hard to break.
Players don't avoid the Isles because they don't like Long Island, they avoid the Isles because they're the worst managed franchise in professional sports. There are plenty of NHL cities where you can live well and play for a franchise with an actual front office and a payroll that legitimately reaches the cap floor (much less the ceiling.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad