Another CBA loophole?

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
I posted a thread weeks ago wondering if a team could trade a player and have another team buy them out and then resign the player. Another funny loophole may be if a team like the NYI signed Iginla to a contract around $5M a season and then flip him to LA while retaining half the salary. LA would reimburse the NYI by offering back a package of players/prospects like maybe Martinez,King and a 3rd?

Just wondering if some GMs would have the balls to try this

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Not sure if you know but that first loophole you talked about has now been closed.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
First one has been closed.

Second one, one would think that any player worth trying to pull that trick with would (like Iginla) have a NMC or NTC, so, unless you got the player in on it as well, it'd be pretty hard to do in the first place.

Also, the NHl has the right to forgo contracts which they deem to be circumventing the cap. Not sure if they'd be able to nix a contract in that type of situation or not.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
First one has been closed.

Second one, one would think that any player worth trying to pull that trick with would (like Iginla) have a NMC or NTC, so, unless you got the player in on it as well, it'd be pretty hard to do in the first place.

Also, the NHl has the right to forgo contracts which they deem to be circumventing the cap. Not sure if they'd be able to nix a contract in that type of situation or not.

Yes the player would have to definitely be in the loop for sure. I'm sure the league would have a say but the NHLPA could also lobby for it. Just laughing at the thought of there still being possible loopholes in the new CBA after that dreaded lockout. PS thanks for the heads up on the first loophole being fixed/nixed

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Yes the player would have to definitely be in the loop for sure. I'm sure the league would have a say but the NHLPA could also lobby for it. Just laughing at the thought of there still being possible loopholes in the new CBA after that dreaded lockout. PS thanks for the heads up on the first loophole being fixed/nixed

It's not shocking. I mean lawyers are constantly finding loopholes, and some of our laws date back centuries and have undergone dramatic reform, possibly multiple times. Finding loopholes in a cap system that has been operating for less than a decade and involves players from all places in the world, and all hockey systems in the world, isn't to shocking.

Sometimes it's best to let a loophole be exposed, just so you can see the best way to close it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad