Anonymous NHL GM: Season is done

Status
Not open for further replies.

coyotechrisz

Apr 21, 2004
Anonymous NHL GM: Season is done

The National Hockey League announced Thursday that it cancelled a board of governors meeting planned for next Friday to discuss the lockout, and at least one NHL excutive is convinced that the 2004-2005 season is history.

"People are waiting for the final deadline for cancellation and all that stuff," an anonymous NHL general manager told the National Post.

"That hasn't been thrown out there, but at the same time everybody knows we're at the point where, whether it's officially announced or not officially announced, that it's over."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=110388

@Mod.. sorry.. i added full link now!

Last edited:

MacDaddy TLC*

All these doomsday warnings.... It is sounding like 1992 all over again. Is there a Gretzky or Lemieux willing to stand up on the NHLPA side this time around?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
To be honest I have been resigned to a lost season for some time now. In fact I almost at this point see little use in a psuedo-season with a month and a half worth of games. Any championship would almost have an asteric next to it anyways.

I also fully expect hockey to return next year with very little if any actual losses in games. I finally expect that when a new CBA is reached that it will be much closer to the owners' positions than the players', the players have little fan support backing them while most fans suppoort the owners, most players have relatively short careers (which are ebbing away) and the owners hold most of the cards, if they hold out longest and get cost certainty the value of their franchises rise to the point of making up much of their losses.

Goodbye season, it was worth it if hockey gets its house in order once and for all so that we do not need to go through this again.

X0ssbar

Jaded-Fan said:
Goodbye season, it was worth it if hockey gets its house in order once and for all so that we do not need to go through this again.

Amen to that brother..!

Wetcoaster

Mayor of MacAppolis said:
All these doomsday warnings.... It is sounding like 1992 all over again. Is there a Gretzky or Lemieux willing to stand up on the NHLPA side this time around?

Actually it was 1994 and the current CBA was signed in January 2005.

On the side of the NHLPA:

Steve Yzerman
Jarome Iginla
Joe Sakic
Rob Blake, etc.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Wetcoaster said:

Steve Yzerman
Jarome Iginla
Joe Sakic
Rob Blake, etc.
I don't know what you are talking about. Could you clarify?

Wetcoaster

slats432 said:
I don't know what you are talking about. Could you clarify?
I thought it was obvious as I quoted the post to which I was replying.

The original poster referred to the previous lockout as "1992" - it was not.

The original poster put forward gretzky and Lemieux as supporting the NHLPA at that time and wondered if there were like players this time. I supplied some names.

MacDaddy TLC*

Wetcoaster said:

Steve Yzerman
Jarome Iginla
Joe Sakic
Rob Blake, etc.
no, I'm talking 1992 when the players went on Strike just before the playoffs. I believe it was Gretzky, Messier, Maybe Lemieux who hooked up with Marty McSorley a big shot with the PA at the time to help sort through the mess, finish the season and have the playoffs after all.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah, I just want all of this hope I have for a season to fade away into nothingness. It's about time we start treating both parties the way they are treating us, out of sight, out of mind.

They completely insult our loyalty, and our intelligence, but when they need our money, they'll come crawling back to us. :shakehead

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
struckmatch said:
Yeah, I just want all of this hope I have for a season to fade away into nothingness. It's about time we start treating both parties the way they are treating us, out of sight, out of mind.

They completely insult our loyalty, and our intelligence, but when they need our money, they'll come crawling back to us. :shakehead

And too many of us will fight to be the first in line to give it to them. :shakehead

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
I have already conceded this season as over but, I am worried about next year or the year after that. I am guessing that the players eventually cave(hopefully before next year) and the NHL builds a better product but, who do you think caves first?...and when?

Lanny MacDonald*

The agents will cave first, and cave soon. I suspect that the prospects of no income for the next year will push the buttons required to get the agents to walk away from the NHLPA. The players will follow their agents, not the wishes of some faux union that is willing to toss the majority of the members under the bus. Once the agents change sides in this situation the conflict will be over and the NHL can move forward in a stable direction.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
prop·a·gan·da ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prp-gnd)
n.
The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.
Material disseminated by the advocates or opponents of a doctrine or cause: wartime propaganda.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Anonymous GM is reporting the season is done? Lou perhaps? Or is Bettman going to be putting out another bounty on a GMs head for leaking info? Why would Bettman tell a GM whats happening, he doesnt trust them to run a business without a childproof cap?

Hockey_Nut99

I hear analysts saying that a season could start at the start of February. Enough with all this posturing. Just get back to the table or call the season.

Lanny MacDonald*

Hockey_Nut99 said:
I hear analysts saying that a season could start at the start of February. Enough with all this posturing. Just get back to the table or call the season.

What analyst is saying that? Where is a link to these analysts? Since the leage feels that 30 games is a requirement to have a "season" before the playoffs begin that would mean at least a two month window od teams playing every second night. That would mean that with a usual start date for the playoffs at mid April the season would have to start at no later than mid February. Training camps would have to open at the end of January at the latest. We're into short strokes mode now. There is no more wiggle room. One wrong move and there's a real mess to cleanup.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Wetcoaster said:
I thought it was obvious as I quoted the post to which I was replying.

The original poster referred to the previous lockout as "1992" - it was not.

The original poster put forward gretzky and Lemieux as supporting the NHLPA at that time and wondered if there were like players this time. I supplied some names.
I am saying to clarify what you meant by the current CBA being signed in January 2005. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad