Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not even in playoff contention at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Different sort of season, but similar poll that we always do, although with some slightly different choices

1) A top 5 team in the NHL
2) Comfortably in the playoffs, not top 5 team
3) Bubble team in the playoffs
4) Bubble team out of the playoffs
5) Not even in playoff contention at all

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This is the first year since I've been posting here that I think we are comfortably in the playoffs. This of course means we will have a lottery pick.

This year is so hard to predict because of the short season, new alignment and COVID. Lose a key player or 2 to Covid for 14 days, or lose a key guy to injury and that could be a huge deal in this shortened season. On the surface, I think the Canes should make the playoffs though, but there is a lot of uncertainty this year.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
This year is so hard to predict because of the short season, new alignment and COVID. Lose a key player or 2 to Covid for 14 days, or lose a key guy to injury and that could be a huge deal in this shortened season. On the surface, I think the Canes should make the playoffs though, but there is a lot of uncertainty this year.

Yeah, that uncertainty makes it tough. But my feeling is that the season is long enough that those uncertainties are unlikely to be randomly distributed in an unbalanced way; so if we lose Aho for a couple of weeks, we are also likely to be the benefit at times of other teams losing skilled players as well due to COVID. Now, if we factor in non-random distribution (ie. active measures taken by teams and players) I think (maybe because of an unreasonable personal bias) our group is likely to be very proactive and disciplined in staying away from risky situations, thus giving us an advantage in this climate.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
This year is so hard to predict because of the short season

This.

However, based on where the Canes were the previous two seasons at the 56-game mark, I voted bubble.

I really think 6 of the 8 teams (all but Chicago/Detroit) could be bunched. Tampa and Carolina could separate, but too much is unprecedented.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I think on paper the canes are the second best team in the division, but so much will likely be crazy this year its hard to make any predictions with any level of confidence. Bubble and in

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I’m betting on some of our players taking a significant step forward from last year (Tro, Necas, Foegele, Nino, Staal, Mrazek, Skjei, Gardner, etc.). Went with #1 because I think enough players improve this year compared to last year that we’ll be a top 5 team. May be ambitious but that’s what I think will happen.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Tampa is clearly the class of the division, but the extent to which the Bolts will put their foot on the gas pedal in the regular season is a question. Of the previous 10 cup winners pre-Tampa, only 3 won the division the following year (St. Louis going by P%, Washington and Boston).

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Due to the division, I would not be shocked if we have a Top 5 point total by the end of the year. I think its a 2-way battle between us and Tampa for division champions with a glut of teams battling it out for the other playoff spots. We will finish closer to the top of the division than the playoff cut line.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
#2 central. Can't legitimately place league wide standings when all the games are intra division. So tier 2 makes sense with a distinct possibility that we're in Schrodinger's tier 1

Yeah may not make a ton of sense to read into teams’ records league wide — every single division will have the same overall winning %: .500. The best team in a bad division could easily wind up with the most points but actually be worse than 5+ other teams who are in more competitive divisions where they beat each other up. Will be extremely interesting to follow that this season.

Reactions: DaveG

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
Went bubble in, just because I have no clue about the other teams besides that Tampa should be better and Chicago and Detroit should be worse than us.

People should not forget about Florida: I don’t think Bob is done, he might have a rebound year. And then there are 5 teams battling for 3 spots.

Reactions: emptyNedder

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
seems like it would be significantly harder to ride a hot goalie this shortened season vs a typical 82-gamer with 12 extra weeks in it.
On the flip side of that though a goalie getting hot for even a short time against the right team(s) can swing a race dramatically since every game is a division game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad