Annual "Where will the Canes finish?" Poll

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
According to this, our poll may be a bit on the optimistic side. Of course, his model also has Nashville on the outside looking in. Interesting none-the-less. Basically says the Canes have improved, but the division has improved around them making it tougher to make the cut.

http://hockeyviz.com/txt/preview1718

preview-1718-points-East.png

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
^^ Yeah, I was going to look for prior years if I had time. I think the methodology bases it heavily off the prior season's data with some of his own tweaks? (not sure, didn't read that much into it).

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
IÂ’d love to know what Detroit has to make them on par with us and Tampa or above teams like Boston and Ottawa

I was wondering the same thing. When Detroit is a playoff team this year in your model...time to go back and check the maths. The rest of those results I take with a huge grain of salt until that is fixed.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
if I could actually vote- I’d go with comfortably in playoffs.

Reasons: I get that the pre-season is “meaningless”, but I can’t remember the last time we won so much or so decisively during it. it was always a fiasco that we told ourselves was just the preseason but always continued to be a dumpster fire through the crucible of the yearly State Fair and left the team demoralized and struggling right off the bat.

This year there is actual chemistry, swagger and dare I say self confidence on the ice- before even a real game. I see that as a remarkable improvement over years past and will pay dividends going forward. Most of us agree that if they had even gotten average goaltending last year we would have gotten a WC slot- this year we have a young team that is getting better across the board, have several important offensive additions, a even better D, and a goaltender that should by all signs provide better than average goaltending.

I understand that the Metro is a brutal division but I can’t help but to think that the Rangers and even Capitals are going to have to fall, and fall hard at some point. I think this could be the year. They’ve been playing with house money for too long- at some point Lundqvist and Ovie aren’t going to be able to carry their teams on their backs and the flameout will leave the Canes near the top.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
My wife was asking me about my thoughts on the upcoming season, I said, this is the first year coming into the season a while that I can honestly say, they have a legitimate chance at making the playoffs.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
if I could actually vote- IÂ’d go with comfortably in playoffs.

Reasons: I get that the pre-season is “meaningless”, but I can’t remember the last time we won so much or so decisively during it. it was always a fiasco that we told ourselves was just the preseason but always continued to be a dumpster fire through the crucible of the yearly State Fair and left the team demoralized and struggling right off the bat.

This year there is actual chemistry, swagger and dare I say self confidence on the ice- before even a real game. I see that as a remarkable improvement over years past and will pay dividends going forward. Most of us agree that if they had even gotten average goaltending last year we would have gotten a WC slot- this year we have a young team that is getting better across the board, have several important offensive additions, a even better D, and a goaltender that should by all signs provide better than average goaltending.

I understand that the Metro is a brutal division but I canÂ’t help but to think that the Rangers and even Capitals are going to have to fall, and fall hard at some point. I think this could be the year. TheyÂ’ve been playing with house money for too long- at some point Lundqvist and Ovie arenÂ’t going to be able to carry their teams on their backs and the flameout will leave the Canes near the top.

feeling you.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I understand that the Metro is a brutal division but I can’t help but to think that the Rangers and even Capitals are going to have to fall, and fall hard at some point. I think this could be the year. They’ve been playing with house money for too long- at some point Lundqvist and Ovie aren’t going to be able to carry their teams on their backs and the flameout will leave the Canes near the top.

The Caps in particular are going to come to earth hard. They lost two NHL defensemen, and they simply don't have any NHL quality prospects to replace them. They're in desperate need of a third pairing, and whatever they wind up with is going to get eaten alive. Not to mention that Brooks Orpik is going to be in their top 4, and they lost complementary scoring in Williams as well. They're a significantly worse team on paper, and they are 1-4 in the preseason, last in the division. Of course, New Jersey is 5-1, so don't read too much into that, but I'm beginning to think that they crater, not just slip a few spots.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So they've lost:

Shattenkirik
Alzner
Schmidt
Johansson
Williams

That is indeed pretty brutal. Unfortunately for us they still have us beat when it comes to forwards and goaltending, and Pittsburgh proved last year you can win with Hainsey on your top pairing.

I agree that they are on their way down, but I doubt they miss the playoffs or even fall to the wildcard.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Not our division, but I've watched a couple of games of Montreal this pre-season. I'm not impressed at all. Yeah, I know it's only pre-season so I don't want to put too much stock into it, but even with Price standing on his head, I can see them really struggling this year. Of course, Price can be the difference maker though.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I think it's very much in the realm of possibility that Metro teams take both wild card spots this year. Outside of Toronto and Tampa I'm not convinced any of the other Atlantic teams are head and shoulders better than any other. I think the 2-3 spots in the Metro will be a lot more competitive than last year too. Penguins probably start pulling away from the pack sooner or later but I don't think there's that much separation between us, CBJ, WSH, and the NY teams. CBJ may be a step ahead of that pack but maybe not.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Alright, I guess I'll chime in.

I can't believe I feel this way, but I'm going with comfortably in. The defense is legitimately loaded this year, and all Darling has to do is not be Cam Ward levels of bad, and they're a playoff team. Any progression by the offense, and this team should be set. My belief is that the franchise is literally a #1C away from being a legitimate contender right now but even without that, I still see this team making some strides this year. I think a lot of people are undervaluing how good the Canes are because their weaknesses in the past have been such critical holes that it masked how good the rest of the team was.

At the end of the day it would not shock me at all if the Canes took a BIG step this year and finished 3rd in the Metro. I think they have that kind of potential, and I think that the teams as a whole in the division are a lot closer than people think. Pitt should still be the clear #1, but after that its muddled with everyone having their own weaknesses. Put Washington, NYR, Columbus, Carolina, and Philly in a random number generator, and I wouldn't be surprised with any way they finish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad