Annual "Where will the Canes finish?" Poll

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I only voted bubble team as our division is so insanely strong that there will be stretches where it will be difficult to pile on points. I do believe that the Canes will be the first wildcard this year but it will be close. I'm also believe that the Canes have a good chance make it to the second round of the playoffs because I don't feel like anyone in the Atlantic is unbeatable. I actually believe that the Leafs would be a terrific match up for us as the Canes always play really well in Toronto and we have the defense to keep up with their young offense.

I want to take it one round further. Not just because I want another deep run, but because I want the lulz of raising an Atlantic Division Champions banner in 18-19.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Last year: Not really in the playoff hunt, but not bottom 5 in NHL.
This year: Top 3 in their division.

Furthermore: everyone's assumption that the Canes will lay down to PIT, WSH, and CBS will be made to look silly.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I was on the fence between comfortably in and bubble in, but I chose bubble in.

To me, the ultimate factor on whether we make it or not is Scott Darling. If he puts up average stats, we're bubble in. If he puts up top 10 stats, we're comfortably in. If he puts up Ward numbers, we're bubble out.

While our offense has improved, I don't think it's good enough to carry us still with sub-par goaltending.

As far as other teams in the conference, I would worry about us more so than worry about them. It will be a tight race all season because there are 12 legit playoff contenders, and since we all play each other, there's only so many points other teams will accrue.

It's hard to pencil teams into pecking order, because there were 5 teams that made the playoffs in the east that didn't make it in the previous year. Both Columbus and Toronto were at the bottom of the conference. And Boston, Montreal, and Ottawa missed it as well.

I think if we can stay consistent, and not go through long win-less stretches, we'll be fine.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Bubble team but out. They're gonna finish eighth in the east, but sixth in the metro and miss the playoffs because the divisions are all guaranteed three playoff teams.

It's gonna be the most Hurricanes thing ever.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I voted bubble but in, but I am quietly feeling that we can be top3 metro team if Darling and Ward plays good enough.

I am a little bit concerned about Darling, but if he is legit #1 like Talbot and Jones situation in San Jose and Edmonton - I really feel like our team will be good. There is no huge gap between top teams in metro and us IMO if Darling is #1.

Caps and Pens will be a bit worse this season for sure.
Jackets didnt play very good all season long, their win streak really helped them.
Rangers are hovering, but I think we can be better than them.
Philly has good prospects but their goaltenders are not that good, I think they need at least a year if not 2.
Devils is rock bottom of our division for sure.

I think we can be 3rd in Metro. Fingers crossed.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Last year: Not really in the playoff hunt, but not bottom 5 in NHL.
This year: Top 3 in their division.

Furthermore: everyone's assumption that the Canes will lay down to PIT, WSH, and CBS will be made to look silly.

I'll gladly look silly if that comes true.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
It's hard to pencil teams into pecking order, because there were 5 teams that made the playoffs in the east that didn't make it in the previous year. Both Columbus and Toronto were at the bottom of the conference. And Boston, Montreal, and Ottawa missed it as well.

I was going to mention something akin to this in my post, but didn't want to do the research to show how predictive assumptions based on previous years get consistently blown out of the water. This ain't last year, folks.

Another thing: I do not believe Darling is the key to success. I believe it is the defense, because they are going to drive the bus for the Canes, both in terms of setting up the offensive and in keeping the opposing teams from being comfortable in the Canes end of the ice. Because the ice will be tilted toward the opponent's end in the majority of games, Darling will merely be a complimentary factor to goals allowed.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That's true. I think history has shown that the Caps, Pens and NYR have been the cream of the crop for a while here in the Metro. While this isn't last year and at some point those teams will falter, I don't see it this year and until I see some indications that it will change, I'm not betting against them. As discussed, CLB will depend a lot on Bob. If he is healthy, they again should be very good. If not, they will not be nearly as successful as last season.

The rest of it, including all of the Atlantic is a crap shoot. The Atlantic is much tougher to guess. Montreal has looked downright terrible when I've watched them in the pre-season (ya, I know it's only pre-season). Their defense is suspect and outside of Pacioretti, they don't have a lot of scoring. It really comes down to how much of a factor is Price. Ottawa without Methot and with Karlsson being injured could struggle as well.

I think Toronto and TBL will be two of the 3 teams that are "in" in the Atlantic. Toronto is on the upswing and TBL is too good to not bounce back.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Another thing: I do not believe Darling is the key to success. I believe it is the defense, because they are going to drive the bus for the Canes, both in terms of setting up the offensive and in keeping the opposing teams from being comfortable in the Canes end of the ice. Because the ice will be tilted toward the opponent's end in the majority of games, Darling will merely be a complimentary factor to goals allowed.

I am in total agreement with this. I think if this team is a "good" team, our wins will look quite similar to the one against the Oilers last night (while obviously not all being 6-2).

We have seen in the past a very good Corsi team that dominates possession. I think we will start to see a little more finish out of the forwards this year, and between the possession and an uptick in scoring, it'll be Darling's job to just not screw it up.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I went comfortably in.

Hanifin's looks like he's going to be their 4th top pair quality dman. Williams jumping into the lineup turns the 10-20 point Nordstrom/McGinn/PDG/Terry/Etc top 9 slot into a 45+ point 2 way all around player.

Darling/Ward should be so much better than Ward/Lack.

Their special teams look like they are going to be dynamite.

The AHL depth has guys that would normally be making the team.

--

I think the Canes are like Edmonton last year. It's not a matter of 'who they leap frog'. They are going to get 100+ points, and everyone else can do whatever they are going to do.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I went comfortably in.

Hanifin's looks like he's going to be their 4th top pair quality dman. Williams jumping into the lineup turns the 10-20 point Nordstrom/McGinn/PDG/Terry/Etc top 9 slot into a 45+ point 2 way all around player.

Darling/Ward should be so much better than Ward/Lack.

Their special teams look like they are going to be dynamite.

The AHL depth has guys that would normally be making the team.

--

I think the Canes are like Edmonton last year. It's not a matter of 'who they leap frog'. They are going to get 100+ points, and everyone else can do whatever they are going to do.

I think this is a good point.

This PP is already clicking, and it makes sense that it would. TT, Aho, Lindy all taking steps forward, plus adding a good PP guy like Williams into the mix.

The PK should still be phenomenal, with the only real difference being McClement for Kruger. That should even be an improvement.

Now add in the fact that we will probably see more PPs this season than any season since 05-06, and I think that's something that greatly benefits the Canes.

THEN add in the fact that we took less minor penalties than any team in the league by a significant margin last year.

Special teams should be an overall strength this year.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The interesting thing to watch is how much the addition of Kruger will affect the production of Staal. Staal pretty much HAD to take every tough assignment. A 4th line of Nordstrom, Kruger and Jooris/McGinn "should" be able to take on a lot of tough assignments, freeing Staal's line up to be more balanced.

I still expect Jordan's line to face the toughest competition, but the addition of Kruger could lighten that load and give some more favorable matchups.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The interesting thing to watch is how much the addition of Kruger will affect the production of Staal. Staal pretty much HAD to take every tough assignment. A 4th line of Nordstrom, Kruger and Jooris/McGinn "should" be able to take on a lot of tough assignments, freeing Staal's line up to be more balanced.

I still expect Jordan's line to face the toughest competition, but the addition of Kruger could lighten that load and give some more favorable matchups.

I think the tough assignments are probably favorable to Jordan in a lot of cases, since most teams top scoring line isn't particularly good defensively. I think the real freedom he's going to experience, is the freedom from Dwyer/Nordstrom types. Jordan with 2 solid NHL'rs, and 2 great dmen who can move the puck, is going to have a big year, I think.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I think the tough assignments are probably favorable to Jordan in a lot of cases, since most teams top scoring line isn't particularly good defensively. I think the real freedom he's going to experience, is the freedom from Dwyer/Nordstrom types. Jordan with 2 solid NHL'rs, and 2 great dmen who can move the puck, is going to have a big year, I think.

This is a point a lot of people don't realize. Guys like Toews and Kopitar and Bergeron take the "tough" assignments, but what that really means is they get to go against the Skinner-Teravainan-Stempniak line while Kane, Gaborik and......idk..... goes against J. Staal and Slavin/Pesce.

We saw this last Blackhawks game here, Toews feasted on TT and got 2 points while Kane was pretty much neutered by Staal and Slavin.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
so 2 years ago 16% thought we'd make the playoffs. Last year 50% thought we'd make it. This year 90% (so far) think we'll make it.

Needless to say, our expectations are as high as the team's are.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, no doubt having guys like Aho, Lindholm, Williams and TT on his line will be a big help.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'm still in believe it when I see it mode. I'm going to say bubble and out until somebody proves me wrong, and I'll be delighted.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm still in believe it when I see it mode. I'm going to say bubble and out until somebody proves me wrong, and I'll be delighted.

This is where I'm at. They've disappointed me too many times to go into the season with any kind of positive expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad