Annual Two Round Mock Draft (2020)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
OHL Prospects: 2020 NHL Mock Draft

This is now an annual tradition. As I always mention, while I cover the OHL extensively, I'm a hockey prospect nut in general and as such, have a fair amount of knowledge of the other players available, especially given my role with McKeen's Hockey.

It is certainly weird to be writing this mock draft in late September, given the October draft date this year because of the pandemic. It feels like we have been providing coverage and reading about this 2020 draft class forever. I feel that this class definitely has tiers which make it a little easier to predict. There are always surprises though and I expect there to be a very large number of deals leading up to the draft and at the draft, given the delays in the season and the expansion draft next year. All those deals (if they happen) could certainly make this mock obsolete, but none the less, it is a fun exercise to complete and one I know people love reading.

Previously, I have cut the mock draft off at the Top 50, but why not see it through to the end of the second round? This year, I bring you a Top 62.

1. New York Rangers - Alexis Lafreniere
The Rangers truly did hit the jackpot by winning the lottery this year, moving up from 10th to first overall and earning the chance to select Lafreniere. Already showing signs of turning around their rebuild, Lafreniere helps New York massively, giving them another potentially elite offensive player to give their top six further depth. Lafreniere plays such a pro ready game because he plays heavy. For all the skill he possesses and how intelligent he is, he is also a physical force down low who likely sees that part of his game grow further in the future.

2. Los Angeles Kings - Tim Stutzle
What does a team with an already loaded farm system do at number two? There's certainly some talk that they're interested in Jamie Drysdale. And that does make sense. They could also go with Byfield at two, the player that I'd select if I were them. But there's also a lot of talk that German sensation Tim Stutzle is their guy and I think ends up being the way that they go. His speed really would play well with the players LA already has in the fold and his high end puck skill could make him the type of dynamic play creator who can elevate his linemates. I think the Kings become enamored with his upside.

3. Ottawa Senators (from SJ) - Quinton Byfield
I really see Byfield being Ottawa's primary target. And with good reason. He's certainly not as polished as some of the other players available. Given his size and physical tools, he has the potential to be the best player from this draft class ten years down the road.

4. Detroit Red Wings - Cole Perfetti
This is where a lot of people really see the draft becoming unpredictable and they wouldn't be wrong. The Red Wings have so many different ways that they could use this selection. I could see them loving Drysdale, Raymond, Rossi, and even Askarov (as crazy as that sounds). But here's why I think it will be Perfetti. Firstly, the team has a connection with the Saginaw Spirit. They've drafted players from there. They've placed European players there through the Import Draft (like Albin Grewe just this year). If there is a team who knows Perfetti's game, inside and out, it would be the Red Wings. Secondly, Perfetti is a brilliant hockey player and is the type of offensive catalyst and magician that this franchise badly needs up front. The Wings used to really value IQ above anything else, and I think they have gotten away from that a bit in recent years. This is a really good fit IMO.

5. Ottawa Senators - Jake Sanderson
This is another pick that I feel pretty strongly about. Sanderson is the type of player who you gain an appreciation for the more that you watch him. He is so suffocating in the defensive end because of his skating ability and intensity level. I do think that his offensive game progresses enough for him to become a top 3 defender on the team too. If you look around the league, the teams finding playoff success are those with players like Sanderson on the roster and I believe Ottawa sees this and will look to Sanderson to be the future anchor to aid Thomas Chabot. Of course, there is lots of chatter about Askarov here too.

6. Anaheim Ducks - Jamie Drysdale
While some talk about Askarov as the draft's biggest wildcard, I actually think that honor belongs to Drysdale. He could go second overall or he could fall out of the top 10 completely if a team isn't convinced he's going to be a good enough defender in his own end. Those who read my work know where I stand on this, so I ultimately believe a team will jump on him sooner, rather than later. What better team than the Ducks, who know how important mobility is on the back-end (see Scott Niedermayer) to team success in today's NHL.

7. New Jersey Devils - Lucas Raymond
Lots of discussion about Raymond's hot start in the SHL this season so far and that could certainly propel him up some draft boards. The common thought here is that the Devils select one of the top 67's available (Rossi or Quinn) given their familiarity with the franchise. But Raymond may just be too good to pass up at seven. While this could certainly be said about every team, New Jersey really needs to focus on selecting the player who they believe possesses the highest upside and I think that's Raymond. If they don't take Raymond, don't be surprised if Jack Quinn is their man and not Rossi from the 67's. Or...of course Askarov.

8. Buffalo Sabres - Seth Jarvis
The first real "surprise" of the draft and that is Seth Jarvis moving up inside of the top 10. Draft history suggests that someone universally ranked outside the top 10, will find their way inside the top 10 on actual draft day. I think Jarvis is someone who really makes sense as that guy and I think he makes a lot of sense as a target for the Sabres. Jarvis is a player who had such a strong second half to the abruptly ended WHL season and he doesn't have a ton of weaknesses in his game. His effort away from the puck would breathe fresh air into an organization that can't seem to get over the hump and he is a guy who could probably fit in really well alongside Jack Eichel in the future.

9. Minnesota Wild - Yaroslav Askarov
You know someone is going to take Askarov high. It is going to happen. But who will it be? Having had some success with Russian players recently and with the team needing more future depth at the goaltending position, Minnesota makes sense as a landing spot. This is especially true for a franchise who really prides itself on being strong defensively. I could also see a team trading up to secure his services (like Chicago for example).

10. Winnipeg Jets - Jack Quinn
Quinn ahead of Rossi? Are you insane? I have Rossi ahead of Quinn in my own personal rankings, but this is a mock draft and I do think that NHL franchises are going to put more value into what Quinn brings to the table. Elite goal scorers who play both ends of the ice do not grow on trees. Quinn is the type of player that the Jets seem to love and if the team does decide to move on from Patrik Laine, he could fill his shoes. Just look at what Mark Stone did for Vegas in the playoffs. Quinn has the potential to be that sort of impact two-way forward.

View the full Top 62 at the link. Happy to justify anything further. Or answer any questions about players that I don't have in the Top 62.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Appreciate the effort here but I dislike all the sharks picks. Not that its unrealistic or terrible, just hope they dont take guys that they could trade back to grab.

Reactions: Gecklund

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Lapierre and Daws :laugh:

That'll rival 2015 for one of Chicago's worst drafts in recent years

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think, given the Jets need for a scoring C, they would probably like Rossi over Quinn just due to the position, but you're right that Quinn seems like a player the Jets would like.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Lots of fan talk of Stutzle to LA. Tidbits gleamed from actual management and insiders seems more like Byfield is there pick imho.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Appreciate the effort here but I dislike all the sharks picks. Not that its unrealistic or terrible, just hope they dont take guys that they could trade back to grab.

But who is to say that they could trade back to grab those players. I've heard AND read lots of chatter about NHL teams looking at Evangelista as a first round selection. There's a better chance, IMO, that he's not even available for the Sharks at 31, let alone available later in the second round.

Foudy is a real wild card. Given his speed and family pedigree, it wouldn't shock me at all to see some NHL teams with close to a first round ranking for him.

If I was San Jose, I'd be happy with those players, because I'd be grabbing players who have a chance to really be difference makers. Evangelista has a high ceiling, but also a high floor IMO. Foudy and Gushchin are big high risk/high reward types, but when you have a farm system which needs an injection of life and you've traded away the 3rd overall selection, I think you need to take big swings. But that's just me.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Lapierre and Daws :laugh:

That'll rival 2015 for one of Chicago's worst drafts in recent years

I guess we have a difference in opinion on those players then...

For me, Nico Daws is the third best goaltender available this year and given his age, he can step right in at the pro level and have a chance to help the Hawks within a few years. Lapierre, from those that I've talked to, has looked like the best player in the QMJHL preseason and appears to be fully healthy again. The Hawks are trying to keep building around the Kane/Toews core without rebuilding and in order to do that, you need to try to hit home runs on your selections, rather than play it safe. Lapierre is just that.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Interesting that you don't have the Wings taking a single dman in the top 2 rounds.

With two early thirds, the Wings could easily go defense with both selections and grab quality prospects still available (according to this mock). Players like Emil Andrae, Anton Johannsson, Wyatt Kaiser, Eamon Powell, Ethan Edwards, Michael Benning, etc, etc.

Some of those players available at the Wings selection in my mock, were just too good for the organization to pass up on. BPA, if you feel strongly said player is just that, should always trump positional bias.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Andrae is a defender who has always impressed me internationally due to his compete and vision, but there's no question (IMO) that NHL scouts will ding him for his lack of size and lack of elite skating qualities. As such, I see him being someone taken in that 60-100 range.
Makes sense. Thanks for the reply and thanks for all the work and time you put into this.

Reactions: Brock

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota's current centers: Marcus Johansson, Joel Eriksson-Ek, Nick Bjugstad, Victor Rask, and Nico Sturm. Prospects: Uh? Khovanov? Free agents: ? uhhhh....

Minnesota's current goaltenders: Devan Dubnyk, Alex Stalock, Kaapo Kahkonen, Mat Robson, and Hunter Jones. Prospects: Filip Lindberg. Free agents: A bunch...

So, Minnesota takes a goaltender over a center, because uh why again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad