Prospect Info: Annual HFDevils Prospect Rankings #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It's interesting that Blake Pietila played with the big club last year and looked good doing it and yet gets no votes.
Well, this is a product of perceived potential. Pietila is going to be a good NHL 4th line forward, but the guys on the list are all perceived as having higher top-ends.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
When I'm choosing who to vote for I take into account how developed the player is and his potential. Since Pietila has shown that he could contribute this year in a good way I rank him above those who are years away despite most having higher ceilings.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm assuming you are referencing Maltsev.

I would argue that without the Russian Factor, he almost certainly goes in the third round near Gignac/Anderson.

Maltsev as well as Gignac, who seems to be winning this poll. They were both selected after Anderson. Would think whatever factors the Devils use to draft players would largely align with how we rate the prospects, so yeah...include the Russian Factor, since it does play a part in whether or not Maltsev does have success with NJ.

I don't know much about any of these players - learned quite a bit more about McLeod and Bastian since being drafted, but not so much the other guys. Nothing's changed since these guys were drafted by the Devils, so it just doesn't seem logical to me that the 2016 draft class would fall in a different order than they were selected at this point in time.

frankiedue

Jan 23, 2007
Springfield, NJ
By that logic JJ must of had a better NHL career than Henrique. I mean if a 7 pick difference matters, than a 1st rounder compared to a 3rd must mean a HUGE gap :help:

This supposed logic is not relevant. You are talking about Henrique and Josefson, 2 guys we have watched for many years in the NHL. Gignac and Anderson just got picked in the draft last month. My question was what has happened between then and now that puts Gignac in front? If you think the Devils made a mistake picking Anderson before Gignac, please explain why.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Maltsev as well as Gignac, who seems to be winning this poll. They were both selected after Anderson. Would think whatever factors the Devils use to draft players would largely align with how we rate the prospects, so yeah...include the Russian Factor, since it does play a part in whether or not Maltsev does have success with NJ.

I don't know much about any of these players - learned quite a bit more about McLeod and Bastian since being drafted, but not so much the other guys. Nothing's changed since these guys were drafted by the Devils, so it just doesn't seem logical to me that the 2016 draft class would fall in a different order than they were selected at this point in time.

It would be odd if the Devils brass were now ranking prospects, but we as fans(at least some) clearly have a different opinion.

But there are some legit reasons as to why a "better" prospect was picked later. As mentioned with Maltsev there is the russian factor, but also an injury issue, he missed much of last year, which undoubtedly caused him to fall.

And it's very possible the Devils were very high on Maltsev but were confident they could get him later, thus were willing to wait. I think something similar could have been at play with Miles Wood. He was playing high school hockey when he was drafted, ie off the radar, maybe a late growth spurt played into it as well, so even though he had obvious physical ability, maybe Dev's knew most teams hadn't seen much of him and thus were unlikely to draft him. Again Devils were willing to wait.

I don't think a teams draft board is always going to be linear in terms of potential.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It would be odd if the Devils brass were now ranking prospects, but we as fans(at least some) clearly have a different opinion.

But there are some legit reasons as to why a "better" prospect was picked later. As mentioned with Maltsev there is the russian factor, but also an injury issue, he missed much of last year, which undoubtedly caused him to fall.

And it's very possible the Devils were very high on Maltsev but were confident they could get him later, thus were willing to wait. I think. something similar could have been. at play with Miles Wood. He was playing high school hockey when he was drafted, ie off the radar, maybe a late growth spurt played into it as well, so even though he had obvious physical ability, maybe Dev's knew most teams hadn't seen much of him and thus were unlikely to draft him. Again Devils were willing to wait.

I don't think a teams draft board is always going to be linear in terms of potential.

Castron was very happy that Bratt was still there when he picked him.

Steal IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad