Prospect Info: Annual HFDevils Prospect Rankings #10

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Remember, please vote on who to add as well.

[table="head;width=3000]Rank|Player|POS|Draft Position|2015-16 Team(s)|Vote %|2015 Result
1|Pavel Zacha|C/RW|2015 #6|Sarnia Sting (OHL)| 48/50| Pavel Zacha
2|Mike McLeod|C|2016 #12|Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)| 46/78| Steve Santini
3|Steve Santini|D|2013 #42|Boston College Eagles (NCAA)|55/77| John Quenneville
4|John Quenneville|C|2014 #30|Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)|55/79| Reid Boucher
5|Mackenzie Blackwood|G|2015 # 41|Barrie Colts (OHL)|48/85| Stefan Matteau
6|Joseph Blandisi|C/LW|2012 #162/UFA|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|42/68|Mackenzie Blackwood
7|Miles Wood|LW|2013 #100|Boston College Eagles (NCAA)|35/74|Blake Coleman
8|Josh Jacobs|D|2014 #41|Sarnia Sting (OHL)|26/86|Josh Jacobs
9|Blake Speers|C/RW|2015 #74|Sault St. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)|37/71|Joseph Blandisi
[/table]

Nick Lappin added, have a feeling this poll is going to be very obvious.

[table="head;width=150]Prospect
Alex Kerfoot
Blake Pietila
Evan Cormier
Ben Thomson
Jeremy Davies
Yegor Rykov
Reece Scarlett
Ryan Kujawinski
Brandon Baddock
Ben Thomson
Ken Appleby
Colton White
J.D. Dudek
Artur Gavrus
Jesper Bratt
Ben Johnson
Brett Seney
[/table]

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Bastian AINEC. Huge drop-off after him. He could've been as high as 6 depending on preference. I think he has higher upside than people give him credit for.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Bastian, add Colton White.

Things will get really interesting now we're reaching some of the lesser known prospects, I expect that people are going to have very different opinions on a lot of them.

I think i'll vote for Gignac and Anderson next, I think both were really solid pickups in the third round and have a lot of upside.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Voted Bastian.

For Prospects Rankings 11-20. Just add all the remaining prospects to the poll, even if there will be 24 options.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Bastian AINEC. Huge drop-off after him. He could've been as high as 6 depending on preference. I think he has higher upside than people give him credit for.

I'm going Bastian, but is it not close? Gignac put up very similar #'s last year. I know draft position plays into it, and at this point that's totally reasonable but Bastian was not a mid 1st prospect that dropped, I don't remember his name even being mentioned pre draft.

Or a guy like Lappin, he could very well be in the NHL to start the season.

I agree, hopefully this time next year he shoots up the rankings.

I'm hoping Bastian has a great year, but I want all our guys to do the same.

I've got guys like Maltsev and Gignac and to a lesser extent Bratt as guys who could see a quick rise in stock. So I could see Bastian progressing very nicely yet maybe dropping a notch on our board.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm going Bastian, but is it not close? Gignac put up very similar #'s last year. I know draft position plays into it, and at this point that's totally reasonable but Bastian was not a mid 1st prospect that dropped, I don't remember his name even being mentioned pre draft.

Or a guy like Lappin, he could very well be in the NHL to start the season.

I'm hoping Bastian has a great year, but I want all our guys to do the same.

I've got guys like Maltsev and Gignac and to a lesser extent Bratt as guys who could see a quick rise in stock. So I could see Bastian progressing very nicely yet maybe dropping a notch on our board.

Keep an eye out for Joey Anderson at Minnesota Duluth next season. I think he can be a riser next year.

A lot of people doubt him because of his linemates Keller and Bellows but if you look at their previous year with the Development team he produced as many points as Keller.

Anderson is a goal scorer. I would draw comparisons to Reid Boucher (who put up similar numbers with the Development team) in size, stature, skating and shot.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Keep an eye out for Joey Anderson at Minnesota Duluth next season. I think he can be a riser next year.

A lot of people doubt him because of his linemates Keller and Bellows but if you look at their previous year with the Development team he produced as many points as Keller.

Anderson is a goal scorer. I would draw comparisons to Reid Boucher (who put up similar numbers with the Development team) in size, stature, skating and shot.

Yeah no doubt, I have my favorite dark horses, but it's so early in the process that all are still very intriguing.

But is Anderson, like Bouch, not considered a great skater?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah no doubt, I have my favorite dark horses, but it's so early in the process that all are still very intriguing.

But is Anderson, like Bouch, not considered a great skater?

He is not a bad skater and I have't seen anyone say that but from watching him he has that boxy wide-base look. He seems to look more methodical with the puck than fast to me.

If watch the first clip of his highlights from the U18 you can see he has some pretty good acceleration, but I don't think he is a particularly fast even though some have described him that way. I think his skating is very similar to Boucher

Then watch Reid's Sarnia clips

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Bastian add Pietila.

Could probably move forward with #11 at this point with Bastian running away with it.

Gets a bit more interesting now between Coleman, Mozik, Lappin, Wedgewood & Anderson.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Bastian, add Pietilla I guess. I don't love him the way some around here do, but there's definitely a ton to be said for proving you can play in a pro league.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I really like Coleman but after missing an entire year I'm not sure where he fits in this year?

Some seem high on Gignac...I don't know? His profile doesn't excite me all that much. But I don't know enough.

I find Maltsev very intriguing. He maybe the most talented player remaining.

Anderson is interesting.

Lappin while having a strong start to Pro career is still very much unknown.

Pietila is what he is I think. Depending how you like to rank talent you can put him anywhere. His floor is his ceiling and that should be a bottom 6 player.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I really like Coleman but after missing an entire year I'm not sure where he fits in this year?

Some seem high on Gignac...I don't know? His profile doesn't excite me all that much. But I don't know enough.

I find Maltsev very intriguing. He maybe the most talented player remaining.

Anderson is interesting.

Lappin while having a strong start to Pro career is still very much unknown.

Pietila is what he is I think. Depending how you like to rank talent you can put him anywhere. His floor is his ceiling and that should be a bottom 6 player.

Tough to figure out where to slot the 2016 draftees, though I'd have a hard time voting for them in a different order than what they were selected. Just don't know enough about them and have to go with how the Devils had them ranked. Anderson is the only 2016 guy to consider at this point IMO.

I think Coleman would've gotten a call up to NJ at some point last season had he not gotten injured.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He is not a bad skater and I have't seen anyone say that but from watching him he has that boxy wide-base look. He seems to look more methodical with the puck than fast to me.

If watch the first clip of his highlights from the U18 you can see he has some pretty good acceleration, but I don't think he is a particularly fast even though some have described him that way. I think his skating is very similar to Boucher

Then watch Reid's Sarnia clips

That clip early in the reel shows Anderson with a real nice burst, unfortunately the rest of the highlights didn't involve much skating.

Same with the Boucher reel I found.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad