Prospect Info: Annual Devils Prospect Rankings #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The addition of Zacha and the readiness of Coleman has a lot to do with Jacobs moving down.

Plus people always like the shiny new toys which is why I expect Speers to go before Jacobs. Look how many teams are in the Big 10 in the NCAA, don't think making the rookie team there is much of an accomplishment to be honest.
And 3 guys had 100+ points on Blandisi's team this season, all 3 6th round picks and 2 of them were two years younger than Blandisi..so what did he do besides have an ok 20 year old year, like Graham Black did in his last junior year?

It doesn't make any sense at all, that a 6th rounder would get more votes over a #42 overall because of over aged points. Blandisi is just not one of our top 10 prospects.

I'm not trying to diminish Blandisi and I hope for the very best for him but we have more than a few prospects who have more accomplishments and better pedigree.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
And 3 guys had 100+ points on Blandisi's team this season, all 3 6th round picks and 2 of them were two years younger than Blandisi..so what did he do besides have an ok 20 year old year, like Graham Black did in his last junior year?

It doesn't make any sense at all, that a 6th rounder would get more votes over a #42 overall because of over aged points. Blandisi is just not one of our top 10 prospects.

I'm not trying to diminish Blandisi and I hope for the very best for him but we have more than a few prospects who have more accomplishments and better pedigree.

Couldn't agree more. Jacobs and Hrabrenka should be getting more votes than blandisi easily and there are a few others I would choose as well. It's like people learned nothing from seeing Boucher, Black, etc making mediocre transitions to the pros. Putting up points in the CHL is only impressive if it's your draft year. Until Blandisi does something impressive at the pro level, people really need to pump their brakes on him. He's a decent prospect in one of the weakest pools in the league

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I have Blandisi this poll (and the last 3) because I think he's currently the most talented of the bunch. I've seen almost every goal and assist from him this year and
he has superior hands, hockey IQ, and he can snipe.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/b63c4ba7362016831df028da7092a429

Check out the 2 goals, 2 assists from him in this video. The first goal :)45) of his being the most impressive. He skates around through the middle of the ice as a defenseman chases him, where he finds his teammate on the opposite slot. Right now, this is already a great play as he managed to keep his head up, surveying the ice, while making room for himself. He's now smart enough to drive the net, and get a perfect give and go goal. This is where his Hockey IQ comes in.

His goal at 1:24, also displays his great hands and skill.

This is only one highlight video of his. I can check through the other games to find many examples similar to these.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Couldn't agree more. Jacobs and Hrabrenka should be getting more votes than blandisi easily and there are a few others I would choose as well. It's like people learned nothing from seeing Boucher, Black, etc making mediocre transitions to the pros. Putting up points in the CHL is only impressive if it's your draft year. Until Blandisi does something impressive at the pro level, people really need to pump their brakes on him. He's a decent prospect in one of the weakest pools in the league
Well there is a lot here that I think is is off.

I don't know that any brakes need to pumped and I'm not ready to discount the junior success of Blandisi, Boucher or Black...I just want it put into context.

And I learned Boucher's goal success in junior translated relatively well to the pro game in Albany and if you compare his goal scoring ability it is quite favorable to other much higher draft picks at the same age. And much can be said for Black's success in short injury filled season with limited opportunity.

Time will tell if this is one of the weakest prospect pools in the league, but I honestly don't think it is. I think there are many players here that may not have as high of a ceiling as people would like but are much more likely of achieving it.

Producing NHL players is the goal.

Having pretty prospects with high ceilings that never make it in the NHL is of no interest to me.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I have Blandisi this poll (and the last 3) because I think he's currently the most talented of the bunch. I've seen almost every goal an
d assist from him this year and
he has superior hands, hockey IQ, and he can snipe.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/b63c4ba7362016831df028da7092a429

Check out the 2 goals, 2 assists from him in this video. The first goal :)45) of his being the most impressive. He skates around through the middle of the ice as a defenseman chases him, where he finds his teammate on the opposite slot. Right now, this is already a great play as he managed to keep his head up, surveying the ice, while making room for himself. He's now smart enough to drive the net, and get a perfect give and go goal. This is where his Hockey IQ comes in.

His goal at 1:24, also displays his great hands and skill.

This is only one highlight video of his. I can check through the other games to find many examples similar to these.

No do the same for the 107 point 19 year old Kevin Lebanc.

Then look at the 104 point Andrew Mangiapane who was draft eligible this year. Not sure Blandisi's 8 extra points at 20 years old is all that impressive over a draft year player?

For some reason these 3 talented 100+ point scorers on the same team were all 6th round picks.

And for some reason Rasmus Andersson 88 point season on the same team got him drafted in the 2nd round over Mangiapane"s 104 point 6th round selection.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Jacobs is really under appreciated here. Excited to see him in Sarnia/USA World Juniors

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Jacobs is really under appreciated here. Excited to see him in Sarnia/USA World Juniors

Jacobs has it rough because despite having a pretty good year for a freshman, he did it on a bad team with little fanfare in a league with little exposure. Certainty goes a long way in evaluating prospects, which is players like Jacobs and Wood don't necessarily get the hype that their talent warrants.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Probably missed the discussion but what was the board's thought process with Matteau over Boucher?

Yes, Boucher has outproduced Matteau easily in both Juniors and the AHL.. but of the two, Matteau is the only one to have shown he can play at all in the NHL.

Boucher gets out there and looks lost.. doesn't even use his best weapon.
Matteau didn't really seem out of place when called up at the end of the season.

I don't really expect Boucher to be a contributor on this team after what we've seen so far. 3rd line player, if he sticks at all. Still think Matteau has a decent shot at being a 2nd line winger.

Here though.. I voted Coleman. Was between he and Jacobs for me. I otherwise more or less agree with the list.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Voted Blandisi, but close call between him and Jacobs. Most here just look at the stats to evaluate Jacobs, but from the pieces of games I was able to catch last year, Jacobs was very impressive. He logged big important minutes and was extremely steady.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Well there is a lot here that I think is is off.

I don't know that any brakes need to pumped and I'm not ready to discount the junior success of Blandisi, Boucher or Black...I just want it put into context.

And I learned Boucher's goal success in junior translated relatively well to the pro game in Albany and if you compare his goal scoring ability it is quite favorable to other much higher draft picks at the same age. And much can be said for Black's success in short injury filled season with limited opportunity.

Time will tell if this is one of the weakest prospect pools in the league, but I honestly don't think it is. I think there are many players here that may not have as high of a ceiling as people would like but are much more likely of achieving it.

Producing NHL players is the goal.

Having pretty prospects with high ceilings that never make it in the NHL is of no interest to me.
I'm not saying they're all worthless or anything. In fact, I expect all three to be NHL players. Black is actually one of my favorite prospects. The point I was trying to make is that they all had great seasons in their final year in Juniors, but didn't exactly come in taking the organization by storm the next season. Yes we should be excited when we see guys putting up points in the CHL, but I've seen people projecting Blandisi to play in our top six this year when, as you pointed out, he wasn't even much of an outlier on his own team. That's putting unfair expectations on the kid. People did the same thing with Boucher, when he very clearly wasn't anywhere close to ready. There are plenty of success stories of guys picked outside of the first two rounds becoming good scoring forwards, but it is rare that those guys come straight from Juniors to the NHL. Almost always, you're talking about people that are 23-24 before making it here.

As for the strength of our prospect pool, the reason I say it is weak is because I place value on impact players. Everyone in our pool outside of Zacha screams complementary player. Not that that is a bad thing, obviously you need those players, but most teams have more potential impact players than we do. I understand if someone disagrees on these kind of players' importance, but that's just my opinion.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Kerfoot and Wood, I think, are two of the biggest sleepers in the Devils prospect pool.

Wood would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick if he were playing in the OHL or USHL instead of his Dad hiding him in that bottom feeder high school league.

We got a steal with him and I hope he leaves BC after 2 seasons and signs with us.
If he stays 4 years he will not be a Devil.

I like Kerfoot's skills but he's not an elite skater and too injury prone to be a Tyler Ennis type of player IMO, though I hope I'm wrong.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Probably missed the discussion but what was the board's thought process with Matteau over Boucher?

Yes, Boucher has outproduced Matteau easily in both Juniors and the AHL.. but of the two, Matteau is the only one to have shown he can play at all in the NHL.

Boucher gets out there and looks lost.. doesn't even use his best weapon.
Matteau didn't really seem out of place when called up at the end of the season.

I don't really expect Boucher to be a contributor on this team after what we've seen so far. 3rd line player, if he sticks at all. Still think Matteau has a decent shot at being a 2nd line winger.

Here though.. I voted Coleman. Was between he and Jacobs for me. I otherwise more or less agree with the list.

The vote went Boucher over Matts.

Right now the rankings are 1.zacha 2.santini 3.JQ 4. Boucher 5. Matteau 6. Blackwood

And likely Coleman will be 7th

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm not saying they're all worthless or anything. In fact, I expect all three to be NHL players. Black is actually one of my favorite prospects. The point I was trying to make is that they all had great seasons in their final year in Juniors, but didn't exactly come in taking the organization by storm the next season. Yes we should be excited when we see guys putting up points in the CHL, but I've seen people projecting Blandisi to play in our top six this year when, as you pointed out, he wasn't even much of an outlier on his own team. That's putting unfair expectations on the kid. People did the same thing with Boucher, when he very clearly wasn't anywhere close to ready. There are plenty of success stories of guys picked outside of the first two rounds becoming good scoring forwards, but it is rare that those guys come straight from Juniors to the NHL. Almost always, you're talking about people that are 23-24 before making it here.

As for the strength of our prospect pool, the reason I say it is weak is because I place value on impact players. Everyone in our pool outside of Zacha screams complementary player. Not that that is a bad thing, obviously you need those players, but most teams have more potential impact players than we do. I understand if someone disagrees on these kind of players' importance, but that's just my opinion.

Our impact players are already playing In ths NHL and play defense.

Do all your impact players or stars or whatever people want to call them have to be forwards? Or can you have some on defense, goal and offense?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I've got a really good feeling about Speers.

I think in 3 years we're going to be wondering "how the hell did we get this guy so late?", like we did with Henrique and Severson.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I think in 3 years we're going to be wondering "how the hell did we get this guy so late?", like we did with Henrique and Severson.

Fingers crossed...

His biggest knock seems to be his physicality. Hopefully that is just a matter of growing and getting stronger.

But if we pulled two legitimate top 6 forwards out of this draft, we are on our way.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

Looking at Speers at face value, it seems like he is a much better prospect than Henrique at the same age, but Henrique has a physical side that helped him reach the NHL. It would probably be a safe projection that he would be a top 9 guy. I think for Speers it's top 6 or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad