Prospect Info: Annual Devils Prospect Rankings #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I find it staggering after the season he has just had and our weak prospect pool that he can't make the top 5.

Stefan Matteau has struggled since he has been drafted and we all seem to acknowkedge that if he does pan out, his upside is just a third liner.

Yet Blandisi just last season has shown at junior level that he maybe the goal scorer and offensive player this team desparately needs and yet he still can't get ranked ahead of mattesu?

I know we are comparing two different development stages as matteau is in AHL and Blandisi is still in junior but even if you ignore Matteau AHL struggles and go back to his final junior season. I think Blandisi has much more upside than Matteau.

Matteau hasn't really struggled in the AHL. He's improved every season and has put up good even strength numbers in the AHL. If he had more PP time and better ES linemates you'd likely be singing a different tune.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
You can say the something about many of our prospects. What makes Blackwood a better prospect than anyone else?

Coleman is probably the most NHL ready of any of the remaining prospects..

Jacobs was picked around the same part of the draft and was named to his leagues all rookie team with top 10 pick Zach Werenski.

Wood was chosen for USA's WJC squad out of prep school! He also has great speed and size

Speers had 67 points in 57 games in his draft year, one of the better PPG of any OHL draft eligible players...

How is Blackwood a better prospect than any of these players? Honest question.

Blackwood had more top-10 finishes at the combine than ANY draft eligible player this year. He has unusually great skating and lateral movement because of his time spent playing as a defenseman. He had an outstanding playoffs and pretty much stole a round playing on a not-so-great team. He's excellent technically.

Granted, goalies are crapshoots, but we have absolutely no want or need to rush him. He's got just the right starting blend of talents to make him successful. I still would have taken a forward but he's an excellent prospect.

Coleman doesn't really have the tools to be a huge difference maker at this level. A fine role player who can do the dirty work and chip in offense, sure. But I'll take the goalie with starter potential over a possible 3rd line center any day of the week.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
When the first thing someone touts about a players is his combine results....Well...

Oh great a goalie who is a "good skater"...

He is only a good skater because he is a converted Dman at age 12...which means he's only been a goalie for 5 years...that certainly makes me feel great about using a #36 overall in a deep draft for...Eric Gelinas of goalies. Good plan.

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
When the first thing someone touts about a players is his combine results....Well...

He is only a good skater because he is a converted Dman at age 12...which means he's only been a goalie for 5 years...that certainly makes me feel great about using a #36 overall in a deep draft for...Eric Gelinas of goalies. Good plan.

It's interesting that you seem to knock him for becoming a goaltender at 12, like that somehow makes him a worse choice?

Shouldn't you be impressed that someone who only took up the position at 12 was the highest ranked NA goalie and is the front runner for WJC?

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

In the case of Blackwood though, he's a two year starter for Barrie. From what other people say, he's technically sound already so that might be a good thing because he's relatively inexperienced and has potential to get much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad