Prospect Info: Annual Devils Prospect Rankings #11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Wikipedia says his name is also Roman Graborenko. Any thoughts about that? :laugh:

Yes. Ukrainians have a very noticeable habit of pronouncing "g" as "h" and vice versa. For example, the Ukrainian currency is the hrivna, pronounced with a soft "h" sound, but if you look at the spelling in the Cyrillic alphabet it uses the letter for "g". When I was there I got used to just pronouncing "g's" as "h's" and "h's" as "g's", and I was right more often than not.

...also when an "o" isn't the accented syllable it's generally pronounced "a". Russian and Ukrainian are not truly phonetic languages, even if most native speakers will tell you they are.;)

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Yes. Ukrainians have a very noticeable habit of pronouncing "g" as "h" and vice versa. For example, the Ukrainian currency is the hrivna, pronounced with a soft "h" sound, but if you look at the spelling in the Cyrillic alphabet it uses the letter for "g". When I was there I got used to just pronouncing "g's" as "h's" and "h's" as "g's", and I was right more often than not.

...also when an "o" isn't the accented syllable it's generally pronounced "a". Russian and Ukrainian are not truly phonetic languages, even if most native will tell you they are.;)

So that Graborenko jersey... order it...??

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Wikipedia says his name is also Roman Graborenko. Any thoughts about that? :laugh:

That confused the **** out of me when I first saw it. I thought we had another new prospect.

I think Raman Hrabarenka is how you say/spell Roman Graborenko in English or something. I could be wrong. I think it's similar to Sergey/Sergei Kalinin. Pronunciation changed the spelling when he came over here. But I don't really know why they would change the spelling except to prevent us idiot Americans butchering his name every give seconds lol

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is the part of the list where things get tricky. While I feel more confident odds wise that Hrabarenka can play a good chunk of NHL games, there are prospects that might be more of a longer shot (especially because they are farther away) but have higher upside. Wood being an example.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Out of this list, players who are most likely to make the NHL now: Helgeson and Kalinin. Players with the most upside: Wood

I personally think currently Hrabarenka is a borderline NHL player with not much upside

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So that Graborenko jersey... order it...??

If it's a Граборенко jersey, sure.:laugh:

That confused the **** out of me when I first saw it. I thought we had another new prospect.

I think Raman Hrabarenka is how you say/spell Roman Graborenko in English or something. I could be wrong. I think it's similar to Sergey/Sergei Kalinin. Pronunciation changed the spelling when he came over here. But I don't really know why they would change the spelling except to prevent us idiot Americans butchering his name every give seconds lol

Pretty much. He's trying to make sure it's pronounced correctly when going between the Cyrillic and Latin alphabets.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Out of this list, players who are most likely to make the NHL now: Helgeson and Kalinin. Players with the most upside: Wood

I personally think currently Hrabarenka is a borderline NHL player with not much upside

bingo. Hrabarenka may be almost ready for the NHL, but Wood is the better prospect imo. I remember how hard the BC fans gushed when he committed

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Another random note, crazy to think kinkaid was towards the bottom half of our depth chart, and now he's our NHL backup.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Another random note, crazy to think kinkaid was towards the bottom half of our depth chart, and now he's our NHL backup.

Yeah, that one is really surprised - especially considering that if the poll was done in the summer of 2013, Kinkaid would have already played 2 seasons in Albany and a game in NJ and should've been considered ahead of Wedgewood (who had played 5 games in Albany that season with a 3.47 GAA vs. 2.72 for Kinkaid).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad