• Antti Tuomisto - RD

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Appears Viro will win this one.

I'm pretty curious about the plan for defense in GR. The right side seems pretty clear with Kampfer, Barton, and Newpower. But the left side has Lashoff, Sebrango, McIsaac, Johansson, and Viro. At least one of them going to Toledo?

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
i'm pretty miffed by all the hanas hate. i've liked the kid since before the draft, and there's never been much excitement around him from fans. he struggled in the ushl, sure, but he learned from it and by all accounts played a much more consistent and mature game last year. he's probably not a top of the lineup player, but who, realistically, is really going to even make the nhl after the top ~eight on our board? i don't get it. he's got oodles of skill, nhl size, and from all reports i've heard is a guy coaches like.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I doubt it's 'hate' so much as lack excitement for a guy that projects to be a bottom 6/4th line forward.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
i'm pretty miffed by all the hanas hate. i've liked the kid since before the draft, and there's never been much excitement around him from fans. he struggled in the ushl, sure, but he learned from it and by all accounts played a much more consistent and mature game last year. he's probably not a top of the lineup player, but who, realistically, is really going to even make the nhl after the top ~eight on our board? i don't get it. he's got oodles of skill, nhl size, and from all reports i've heard is a guy coaches like.
I'll bite. Hanas at least has a carrying tool (skill/offensive IQ), which matters this low in the rankings. The question is whether his skill will be good enough at the pro level to vault him all the way to Detroit, because there's really nothing very good about his game outside of that skill; he's not a great skater, below average compete, not physical, not a 200-foot player. And his age takes some of the shine off his point totals in junior this past season. He's either an offensive middle-6 type or bust.

I'm just not convinced he has good enough offensive ability to overcome all his deficiencies. But I'm not writing him off quite yet, because how he performs in the AHL will go much further in answering questions about him than his overage year in the Dub. But to me, right now, he looks like a career-AHL type. The kind of guy who will float every couple years to an AHL team looking to gain offense in its top-6.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Why does Hanas get a carrying tool of offensive IQ but Viro doesn't get the carrying tool of defensive IQ?

Always the bright shiny numbers with you...

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Why does Hanas get a carrying tool of offensive IQ but Viro doesn't get the carrying tool of defensive IQ?

Always the bright shiny numbers with you...
Ha. IQ has to be super high to be a carrying tool, imo. For Hanas, it's more the skill that is the carrying tool, but the IQ attached to that is notable. Either way, I don't like either prospect :laugh: (only in terms of projectability... but gotta keep things a little spicy around here... ya'll are eating ketchup while I'm on that Valentina black label).

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I do love me some Valentina black label...

For me... that's hitching my wagon to the horse (pony?) that is Eemil Viro. I want to usher in the era of the black hole. Give me a defenseman that gets 0 points, is even in +/-, playing 25 minutes a night. Like... how would you value a player like that? If you could guarantee that nothing happens for that shift, would you toss him out there?

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

For me... that's hitching my wagon to the horse (pony?) that is Eemil Viro. I want to usher in the era of the black hole. Give me a defenseman that gets 0 points, is even in +/-, playing 25 minutes a night. Like... how would you value a player like that? If you could guarantee that nothing happens for that shift, would you toss him out there?
Sure, but not for 25 minutes a night on a good team lol. Sounds more like a stud 3rd-pairing type. I’m going to cast some doubt that Viro is that good defensively though :laugh:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sure, but not for 25 minutes a night on a good team lol. Sounds more like a stud 3rd-pairing type. I’m going to cast some doubt that Viro is that good defensively though :laugh:
Don't besmirch the myth and legend that is Eemil Viro. He just needs to learn how to avoid 2ndary assists.

Reactions: jaster

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Judging somebody based on where they come from, always one of my favorite keyboard warrior moments...

200.gif

If you wouldn't want someone to do it to you, don't do it to them.

My problem with Hanas, is I don't think he is going to check well enough to endear himself to a coaches. He will have to really show something in GR that way. He has good hands, is a good passer, but he is the kind of guy that usually gets washed out by not being exceptional at any one thing in my opinion. He shows some nice flashes though, shame we didn't change the GR staff or I would probably have a little more hope in terms of that first year of pro being pretty important.

I also think I’d slip up and pronounce his name Cross Anus. And I’m not thrilled with that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Dekeyser got 500 nhl games doing that

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Oh, lots happened during Dekeyser's 500 NHL games. Bad things. I'm talking nothing. Neither side scores.
Yeah, there was the getting rag-dolled in front of the net and corners thing….

But honestly, Dekeyser might be somewhat of a comp for Viro. I mean they’re both skinny defensive guys who skate well.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I looked up NHLers with 1000+ games closest to an even +/-. There is only one. Mark Recchi of all people.

1662580870447.png

Reactions: Realgud
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad