Announcing Fugu's Business of Sports subforum

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Question on concussion thread... It's been a catch all for all sports-related updates, not just NHL (including NFL suit).

Saw article today on NBA mental health policy updates. Thought that that thread might be appropriate. Or separate thread?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Seems kind of dumb to split it up. Like, who cares if there are some topics that involve other sports? If it doesn't interest me, I'll just skip the thread. It's not that hard.

Many users did complain that there were too many non-hockey topics in BoH and your Mod team would then struggle to decide what OT would be allowed - hopefully this adjustment should make it easier for everyone.

Reactions: mouser and Morrison

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
@LadyStanley - We are going to try to see if a subforum named 'Fugu's Business of Sports' can be viable on its own.

The intent is to make BoH simply hockey and anything that does not concern the business of the NHL or hockey goes to the sub forum.

Feedback appreciated

Shouldn't other sports bussiness' go into that forum?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Seems kind of dumb to split it up. Like, who cares if there are some topics that involve other sports? If it doesn't interest me, I'll just skip the thread. It's not that hard.
Yeah this is really disappointing. I don’t really see how anyone who’s generally interested in the business of hockey won’t be interested in what goes down in other sports. Even if you don’t like that sport, the business that happens there could be business of hockey one day.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Many users did complain that there were too many non-hockey topics in BoH and your Mod team would then struggle to decide what OT would be allowed - hopefully this adjustment should make it easier for everyone.
How would this be easier for mods? Instead of leaving everything that’s sports-related as what was the previous policy, now you need to spend time moving threads to the appropriate subforum.

Also it’s now harder for the those who are interested in all sports. The easiest thing to do is the people who aren’t interested in other sports can ignore the thread.

Reactions: Llama19

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
How would this be easier for mods? Instead of leaving everything that’s sports-related as what was the previous policy, now you need to spend time moving threads to the appropriate subforum.

Also it’s now harder for the those who are interested in all sports. The easiest thing to do is the people who aren’t interested in other sports can ignore the thread.

@Kane One The old policy was case by case to see if a topic in any way related to hockey

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

There was never a policy of allowing every thread that’s sports related.

This is the Business of Hockey forum.

The challenge for many years on the OT threads is deciding whether or not there’s a business related angle to the NHL that merits a thread. Many potential OT sports business threads were deleted or closed because the connection to NHL business was tenuous at best. Some OT threads were allowed to continue because the topic was big enough to overlook the lack of NHL connections.

The solution we’re testing out here is providing a new forum where all non-NHL related sports business discussions can take place.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I don't see why there can't be some threads about other sports on this forum. Most of the user base here are hockey fans so that would remain the focus but there are many aspects of other sports business that also tangentially apply to hockey. If at some point there is enough content to create a new forum that could happen then, but at this point I think a new forum would be pretty dead.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I was thinking the Business of Hockey forum would just become the Business of Sports forum. Yes this is a hockey focused board, but a lot of the business of hockey affects all the sports too, like Concussions, new stadiums, TV packages. It just seemed unnecessary to have a separate forum when things were going pretty well under the same umbrella.

Crayton

Feb 18, 2008
FLORIDA
Let us see how this does. Obviously there was enough friction to warrant a change; after a few months there likely will be a minor course-correction (re-named, re-merged, one "Business of Sports" forum, etc) that best balances the wants of the user-base.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just my not so humble opinion.....

The issue in recent times has been a plethora of non-hockey business threads that were springing up constantly. With most getting little to zero activity and pushing the hockey business threads off the front page.

Yes.... HF has forums for non-hockey topics.

BUT....... it’s primary focus has been hockey. After all the “HF” does stand for HOCKEY’S FUTURE.

The business topics for the other sports are simply one click on a link away. If that’s too much of a chore for some to handle in an age where we can buy automobiles from our phones and have them delivered to our driveway in a few hours then there’s no cure for them. ;)

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Coming back to HF after a summer break, and I'm surprised to see this.

I joined HF to post on this forum as a 17 year old. It's my longest online community. It holds a really special place in my heart and has become my favourite online forum to read.

I really disagree with this call, if only because why are we dividing up two small traffic portions of the forum. I'd prefer a single forum for everything. I have never found another business of sports forum like this one, and hope to continue posting here for many years to come.

I really enjoyed looking at other business issues in sports, and I've learned about a lot of cool stuff because of the combined forum.

Just putting my 2 cents on the matter out there.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Coming back to HF after a summer break, and I'm surprised to see this.

I joined HF to post on this forum as a 17 year old. It's my longest online community. It holds a really special place in my heart and has become my favourite online forum to read.

I really disagree with this call, if only because why are we dividing up two small traffic portions of the forum. I'd prefer a single forum for everything. I have never found another business of sports forum like this one, and hope to continue posting here for many years to come.

I really enjoyed looking at other business issues in sports, and I've learned about a lot of cool stuff because of the combined forum.

Just putting my 2 cents on the matter out there.

@Tom ServoMST3K I understand where you are coming from. The problem we had as Mods were figuring out what topics related to hockey or to other sports.

This is a hockey centric board and many of you objected to the numerous OT threads for other sports. We felt the best way to address it was a baby forum for all sports business which is one click away.

I can only tell you that Fugu thought the idea of a baby forum had merit but then she got sicker.

So far the split seems to be working.

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
I wasn't sure how it would go but I like having the subforum now.

On a related note, kudos to whoever suggested naming the forum after Fugu in the first place - very claasy!

...and thanks to all who participate and bring up topics for discussion. I hope people don't get discouraged if their posts don't get any replies. I enjoy reading a lot of the posts and usually find them quite interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->