anniversary ..... 2/22/1980 USA - MIRACLE ON ICE

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I know my fellow Canadians hate to admit it but this event was the single greatest moment in Hockey History...indeed easily one of the top moments in all Sports history.

I remember watching this game live here in Calgary and I was just hoping that the U.S. would at least keep it close and not get blown out.........talk about a David versus Goliath moment......

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I remember watching the end of the Sweden-USA opener and the last minute goal (under 30 seconds as I recall) scored by Bill Baker against Pelle Lindbergh. I wanted to catch a glimpse of Lindbergh as much as anything. Not too many people understood at the time how important that goal was to become. Then the series of events that transpired were and remain incomparable.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
I remember watching the end of the Sweden-USA opener and the last minute goal (under 30 seconds as I recall) scored by Bill Baker against Pelle Lindbergh. I wanted to catch a glimpse of Lindbergh as much as anything. Not too many people understood at the time how important that goal was to become. Then the series of events that transpired were and remain incomparable.

you can see his "Parent style" mask had the Flyers logos taped over if i remember correctly

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
GumpDuo.jpg

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
you can see his "Parent style" mask had the Flyers logos taped over if i remember correctly

Hazy recollection, but I seem to recall ABC (US-TV) went from sport-to-sport in a prime-time broadcast window and showed sporadic live action while promoting other sports and athletes. I do recall a sizzling save or two by Lindbergh.

This is from a New York newspaper from the day after the game. A time before internet and the influx of cable/satellite TV. To read a summary in a major publication as follows sent a message:

Memo to Keith Allen, Flyers GM: This Swedish goalie you drafted is going to be a good one. Lindbergh made 27 saves against the Yanks, many of them outstanding.

Source: New York Daily News.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Enjoy going to Lake Placid a lot. If you ever get a chance to go, do so. It's a nice quiet little town, not a chance a city like that ever get's another Olympic bid in this day and age. But the rink they played in is still there, along with the locker rooms and everything else exactly as it was, and they have a nice, quaint, museum type thing about the 80 Olympics. It's a really nice place to visit.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
It was such a crappy time. I remember the economy sucked, people were laid off and Russia was the evil empire. This one of my favorite moments in sports. I was at my best friends house with his 5 brothers watching the game and going ape sh-t watching the clock count down.

I was only 11 so I couldn't understand how Eruzione and Craig didn't become great pros.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad