Anna Kane Accuses Evander of Abandoning His Family and Betting On/Throwing Games Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
Agree. I also expect that any NHL contract nullification action against Kane would be reviewed/pre-approved by the Players Assn and the Hockey Diversity Alliance grp.

What?

Why would the NHL need approval from the HDA?

HDA has no say in any of this nor is this what the HDA is even about.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Mike Danton sat for a conspiracy to commit murder and found employment in Europe after his release despite not having played hockey for years.

I think this is more a trust thing in terms of allegations in throwing games for gambling (whether proven or not) which will inspire very little belief in his credibility amongst many Euro league teams.

Maybe not impossible he plays in Europe but I just don't see teams lining up.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He's making lots of money. He's a gambling addict in unfathomable debt. That money (if its true) is gone before he gets it.

Has Evander Kane ever heard of stocks/shares to buy? Guy can put money into that and let it grow…

But athletes this day in age want fast money now..

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Has Evander Kane ever heard of stocks/shares to buy? Guy can put money into that and let it grow…

But athletes this day in age want fast money now..

Sounds like his wages are garnished already to pay off creditors, the rest goes to feeding the addiction. I'm a recovered alcoholic and there was always money for alcohol, but everything else went to shit.

I believe it when his wife claims she had to sell her ring to provide for their kid while he partied. No way he's gonna invest. Addicts are typically incapable of doing the right thing when there in deep. Powerless. Non-addicts could never understand. I despise Evander Kane, have for long before this. But the man needs serious help. I can only hope he wants it. Never works otherwise.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Always find it absolutely amazing that guys can make over 50 million dollars pre-tax and be closer to bankruptcy than owning a sports franchise.

Honestly, sports leagues/PAs do these players a disservice not having mandated financial appointees for players, or mandated firms to work with these players. The amount of guys that go broke shortly after their careers wrap (or during their careers) is staggering. There's gamblers, and then there's degenerates, like Evander.

It's mind blowing that at the exact same age as Evander Kane, I could be in an infinitely better financial position than someone who's played a game for ten years and has had multiple years making millions of dollars (with zero risk, in recent years I've had some good financial years, and yet, they came with some acquired risk).

Reactions: amethyst

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This only really applies if they choose to buy him out during the window that occurs after arbitration with Adin Hill completes. There's a good chance that the league's investigation doesn't complete until after that arbitration window would pass. If the league clears him, chances are that the Sharks will either sit him for the season or waive him and assign him to an AHL team.

Thats worse for them, given they will have his cap hit on the books (minus the $900,000 you're allowed to bury). But I guess if they're aren't contending its not a big deal.

What say does the HDA have?

The same as every poster on HFB. Rhymes with hero.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Thats worse for them, given they will have his cap hit on the books (minus the $900,000 you're allowed to bury). But I guess if they're aren't contending its not a big deal.

The same as every poster on HFB. Rhymes with hero.

If one thinks they weren't contending with Kane there, it's hardly worse for them to have Kane sit. I don't think they're a playoff team as constructed with Kane. If they have to sit Kane for the season before they can remove him then they're out one player that has shown to win enough games on his own to impact their draft position. If there's any year where it's to their benefit to have to sit an impact player, it's this year when they need a top two or three pick to get a franchise prospect.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If one thinks they weren't contending with Kane there, it's hardly worse for them to have Kane sit. I don't think they're a playoff team as constructed with Kane. If they have to sit Kane for the season before they can remove him then they're out one player that has shown to win enough games on his own to impact their draft position. If there's any year where it's to their benefit to have to sit an impact player, it's this year when they need a top two or three pick to get a franchise prospect.

I was talking cap wise

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I was talking cap wise

That depends on perspective. I don't think it's exactly good for them to buy him out at this point for this season. They don't exactly have options to utilize what they'd save with a buyout on anyone let alone on someone that would change their fortunes. If the league doesn't cancel Kane's contract, he'll just sit either until they decide to buy him out or waive/assign to AHL and see if he reports and terminate if not.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Always find it absolutely amazing that guys can make over 50 million dollars pre-tax and be closer to bankruptcy than owning a sports franchise.

Honestly, sports leagues/PAs do these players a disservice not having mandated financial appointees for players, or mandated firms to work with these players. The amount of guys that go broke shortly after their careers wrap (or during their careers) is staggering. There's gamblers, and then there's degenerates, like Evander.

It's mind blowing that at the exact same age as Evander Kane, I could be in an infinitely better financial position than someone who's played a game for ten years and has had multiple years making millions of dollars (with zero risk, in recent years I've had some good financial years, and yet, they came with some acquired risk).
I agree 100%. I've said before I think anyone that is playing in a college should have to take a course on finances. Now this doesn't help NHLers as much as most don't go the College route, but it would be a start.

The other issue is the leagues would have to watch just exactly what they mandate. What kind of backlash is there if they have a mandated firm that ends up being fraudulent or losing players a ton of money?

Years ago a family friend that played in the NHL was telling us about his investments. He essentially had 3 or 4 different guys investing money for him at any given time. He was very open with them and let them know he wasn't looking for high risk. He also let them know if he notices that they are underperforming compared to the others that he'd pull out and find someone else. He did do okay and I guess was lucky as he did invest more with some a couple he trusted, which could've went sideways but it never did.

At the end of the day though I don't think any amount of financial guidance would've helped Evander.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If he's convicted, I suspect he gets the Pete Rose treatment of a lifetime ban.
Even if hes guilty, they'll bury it asap. They'll pay off the wife and wrap it in an nda to seal it forever. The HDA will then run cover for him indefinitely by destroying anyone who raises a single question about it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

All this stuff is provided to the players. NHL players tend to have to take these types of courses in rookie camps and almost all are taught about money management by the PA and their individual teams. At the end of the day a player will do with their money what they will do with it no matter what experts tell them.

I hope Kane realizes that he has a problem and seeks help for it.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007

Most people who win the lotto go broke within 5 years.

Whatever issues, poor money management skills one has, just gets magnified 50 fold when you get rich.

It starts at the money management, then trickles to a lifestyle and image that is impossible to maintain if you're not constantly making the same amount. This means a contingency plan in place for when you finish your career.

Shaq made a good point. Early in his career, his first massive cheques were squandered on luxury cars for his parents and luxury goods for himself.

He quickly realized how fast money can evaporate when you don't invest or are not careful with it.

He hired someone to look after it, but not only this studied business and made a lot of money on the side from it.

Abuses of all kinds is rampant in professional sports.

You can surround someone with all the help and resources known to man.

They however, need to not only know they need help, but be motivated to go and get it.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Has anyone mentioned that Kane was probably one of the best Sharks players

He's doing a piss poor job of throwing

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Guy is exactly what he seems to be. My ex happens to be friends with one of his ex's. They had a shoot for a Playboy (Slovakia) cover in Vegas back in 2016. I went up to Vegas to hang out for a few days while this was happening and Evander was there also. I believe he made headlines that weekend too and incident was actually way worse than reported. All this couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Got a link to what was reported?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->