Ankle bending inwards ("pronating" skate) problem

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Does anyone know if anything can be done to fix a pronating skate? My left skate causes my ankle to bend inwards, so I'm always on the inside edge rather than centered on my blades.

I own two pairs of skates and one pair is fine, so I know it's the skate (not my technique) causing the ankle problem.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Not tied tight enough on your foot? Perhaps your left foot is smaller than your right, which causes skaters ankles to bend inward.

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
night-timer said:
The skates are tight enough. I like my skates to fit very firmly. It may be a deformed boot.

Or a misaligned blade holder. Check the holder to see if it's mounted off center, probably to the inside. If you're not sure take it to the lhs

ModSquad

Jan 26, 2005
www.modsquadhockey.com
night-timer said:
Thanks. Can a holder be moved? It's riveted in, I believe. Moving it may leave holes. I'll take the boots to a retailer today.

It's most likely your posture.

THe correct fix would be a shim between the holder and boot to compensate for that.

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Can a shim be easily fitted?

I've had the boots heat-moulded today, which may help. I'll skate on them tomorrow and find out. I hadn't bothered with the heat moulding until now because I had heard that all it does is partially shorten the break-in time of the boots.

ModSquad

Jan 26, 2005
www.modsquadhockey.com
No, you really have to know what you are doing to do shim work. Installing it is easy, but knowing where and how much to add is the tricky part.

Baking won't solve that problem.

trueblueinboston

Mar 19, 2006
Boston
The rivets could be loose...

Also, if it's just one skate...it could be your weak side. It's a pretty common thing...if you're not confident on all four edges, some will give.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
It's probably the holder and yes, they can be removed with a rivet machine. Just use silicone to cover any old holes. I'm assuming they're new skates so it shouldn't have anything to do with blade height, contour etc...
also, put a coin on your blades after you get them sharpened to make sure your edges aren't off. There's plenty of new sharpener holders that if not used correctly can leave you with high edges on the outside...although this is probably not the problem it's a good way to actually see the hollow cut out. Don't do it in front of the sharpener though...Some of these guys offend easily.:)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Tape is a support, but it will not rectify the issue, which is structural.

Try Superfeet Yellow, specifically designed for such issues on a more general scale.

MeltingPlastic

Jul 1, 2010
Outside Philly
where did you buy your skates? I only go to 1 proshop which an old coach of mine runs back in NJ due to him knowing more than some kid at say a rink proshop etc. This is where proper fitting comes into play and knowing how the skates are structured for your foot/ankle type. I would take them to a knowledgeable proshop and ask them for fitting advice. Unfortunately they may tell you your SOL and need new skates or have a remedy for you. I had ankle surgery and after recovering, i needed custom skates due to the size of my one ankle as well as shims due to the natural pronating my damaged ankle now has. And it took quite a bit to figure out the proper heights etc needed to feel my edges as i had before the injury.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
where did you buy your skates? I only go to 1 proshop which an old coach of mine runs back in NJ due to him knowing more than some kid at say a rink proshop etc. This is where proper fitting comes into play and knowing how the skates are structured for your foot/ankle type. I would take them to a knowledgeable proshop and ask them for fitting advice. Unfortunately they may tell you your SOL and need new skates or have a remedy for you. I had ankle surgery and after recovering, i needed custom skates due to the size of my one ankle as well as shims due to the natural pronating my damaged ankle now has. And it took quite a bit to figure out the proper heights etc needed to feel my edges as i had before the injury.

I had them fitted at Sports Authority, I think I'm going to try the footbeds. Where do I get the Superfeet yellow? I'm been searching around and haven't found any.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
60 day guarantee should seal the deal. That usually pushes people over the edge and they never look back. I've never heard of or processed a Superfeet return before.

http://www.superfeet.com/users-guide/#comfort

Thanks for the advice, I am going to get a pair this weekend. They do come in a pack of 2 right? Would suck to have to buy 2 seperate packages.

As a alternative before I buy the superfeet, I wore 2 thick socks to see how well that would work. It worked okay, but wasn't as good as I hope as I still kinda had a bend. I can not with to get these this weekend though, will be great to finally have a stable skate after 10 years of being a bender. :laugh:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thanks for the advice, I am going to get a pair this weekend. They do come in a pack of 2 right? Would suck to have to buy 2 seperate packages.

As a alternative before I buy the superfeet, I wore 2 thick socks to see how well that would work. It worked okay, but wasn't as good as I hope as I still kinda had a bend. I can not with to get these this weekend though, will be great to finally have a stable skate after 10 years of being a bender. :laugh:

Yeah don't wear thick socks/2 pairs of socks. More detrimental lol.

Yes they come in a pair. Regarding sizing, it is best to get sized correctly, as it's possible that the sizing on the box wouldn't work for you. Your goal is to find the size (D,E,F etc.) where your the edge of your heel when standing is perfectly in line with the edge of the heel cup. No muffin-topping over the edges or excess cup. Trim with scissors over an outline of the current insoles of your skates. Remove the current insoles and replace with SF, there should be a very slight forward/backward wiggle once in the skate. Trim as necessary.

wondeROY

Apr 19, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Good luck with the superfeet's, I had a pair and had to return them. I'm so incredibly flat footed those things put me in complete agony! I couldn't skate more then 3 minutes without it feeling like someone shanked my foot with a huge knife.

I have a similar issue, but if you are self aware and realize what you are doing while skating you can correct your posture. I wear Reebok skates and they seem to work good with my pronation and flat feet.

I have just dealt with it and I can skate pain free now, and I'm also one of the fastest guys on my team. Good luck man!

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
You are a great example of how Superfeet cannot work for everyone regardless of foot type. I know of several flat-footed people who have benefited tremendously as well as people with high arches.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
I wonder if your skates had enough volume?

Superfeet adds arch support, but will lift your heel slightly. If your skates were snug to begin with, this could cause pain. I know that happened to me.

It makes sense that it doesn't have enough volume. I have narrow, high-arched feet with very skinny ankles, so it is tough to fill in the skate.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad