Angry Birds maker Rovio to enter sale talks (Sega near $1 Billion purchase)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

The talk in Finnish media is that they'll likely turn down Playtika's offer and wait for a better offer. Analysts are listing Netflix and Disney as potential buyers.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
where does most of their money come from? Ive played these games and had my fill, is there people still playing these games week after week?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
where does most of their money come from? Ive played these games and had my fill, is there people still playing these games week after week?
At Christmas, my niece played Angry Birds Friends and it was loaded with microtransactions. That's probably where they get a lot of their money. Merchandising (plush birds) and licensing fees from the movies probably help, too.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
They are more than just Angry Birds games though that is most of it but they have other games and whole TV and movie part. I could see Netflix looking buying them as some of those shows are on Netflix and they have made noise about gaming in the past.

Television series
Angry Birds Toons (2013–2016)
Piggy Tales (2014–2019)
Angry Birds Stella (2014–2016)
Angry Birds Blues (2017)
Angry Birds BirLd Cup (2018)
Angry Birds Zero Gravity (2018)
Angry Birds on the Run (2018–2020)
Angry Birds MakerSpace (2019–present)
Angry Birds Slingshot Stories (2020-2022)
Angry Birds Bubble Trouble (2020–present)
Angry Birds: Summer Madness (2022–present)
Feature films
The Angry Birds Movie (2016)
The Angry Birds Movie 2 (2019)

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Sega should've spent some of that money on a Skies of Arcadia remake or sequel, those ship battles would feel epic on current systems and flying around the world, customizing your ship, man, it'd be great.

• Love
Reactions: Seedtype

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Two questions... 1) has this deal closed?

2) I thought Nintendo bought Sega...no?
Nintendo did not buy Sega. Nintendo studio wise likely has the smallest actual portfolio between Microsoft, Sony and themselves. Nintendo I feel has only bought things like Monolith Soft, Next Level Games and Retro Studios. They just have a ton of second party affiliations like Hal Labratories and GameFreak that they might as well be outright Nintendo studios at this point.

Sega is a sizable 3rd party developer and has been since they abandoned hardware after they killed the Dreamcast.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Nintendo has also a fairly different portfolio and philosophy, as for games can't really imagine Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio ever working for them full time.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Two questions... 1) has this deal closed?
No but it's in the process. It'll take some months for it to properly close.

For funs and giggles I own 10 shares and just this week received the paperwork to officially sell them to Sega, and like most I agreed. The deadline was the last day of July or something like that. Once Sega gets 90% of the shares they will essentially own the company, take it out of the stock market, and will proceed to buy out the rest of the shares. I doubt many shareholders will contest it because the difference in share price is pretty big (maybe some folks who bought at the IPO may consider, as 9,25 is less than the 11,50 or whatever it was at launch). So based on my experience in how this goes, the deal will officially be closed in August or so and then Rovio will be owned by Sega (and Sega will spend 6-9 months going through the legal hoops to get the remaining shares). Might be slightly off with terms and timelines but either way it's progressing and soon Sega will own Rovio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad