Signing(s): Angels sign Mike Trout: 12 years, 426 million

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
which, as i've said a number of times now, is not the direction that the owner wants to take.

the owner of the angels doesn't want eppler to sell everything not willie mays.

arte moreno isn't interested in bottoming out.

the angels owner has expressed no interest in gutting the team and losing for a while.

the man who owns the angels wants the team to compete each year and not be bad.

arte moreno likes spending money on players to come play for his baseball team and prefers that his team is a good one.

i don't know how else to say it. you're saying you're a season ticket holder...don't go to the games? don't support the team if you don't like the owner's vision. eppler's done really well when you consider that his directive from above him was:

moreno: "i know all the rage right now is tearing it down and rolling out a 20 million dollar payroll for a few years. i don't want to do that while we have the best player since barry bonds playing for us. i want you to clear this money and eventually build a winner but not bottom out, give us an interesting team."

eppler: "okay, skip!" *trades last prospect of value for the best defensive shortstop since ozzie smith and sets to rebuilding the farm*

oh, he hasn't rebuilt the entire farm that was slashed and burned by the previous guys? how long's he had? 3 years? what a bum!

darko

Feb 16, 2009
A half assed rebuild while still trying to win never works out. We need to pick a direction and stick to it. Overpaying for Harvey and Cahill isn’t the answer

1 year deals for both. They are exactly the right moves to make when rebuilding. Not taking away spots from anyone right now. Hope they stay healthy and then move them for prospects come trade deadline.

Reactions: Voight

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
which, as i've said a number of times now, is not the direction that the owner wants to take.

the angels owner has expressed no interest in gutting the team and losing for a while.

arte moreno likes spending money on players to come play for his baseball team and prefers that his team is a good one.

i don't know how else to say it. you're saying you're a season ticket holder...don't go to the games? don't support the team if you don't like the owner's vision. eppler's done really well when you consider that his directive from above him was:

moreno: "i know all the rage right now is tearing it down and rolling out a 20 million dollar payroll for a few years. i don't want to do that while we have the best player since barry bonds playing for us. i want you to clear this money and eventually build a winner but not bottom out, give us an interesting team."

eppler: "okay, skip!" *trades last prospect of value for the best defensive shortstop since ozzie smith and sets to rebuilding the farm*

oh, he hasn't rebuilt the entire farm that was slashed and burned by the previous guys? how long's he had? 3 years? what a bum!
And I’ve said more than enough times that my main gripe is with Moreno. He sure hasn’t done a lot of “spending money to make his team good” compared to how much you seem to believe that’s what he wants.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
And I’ve said more than enough times that my main gripe is with Moreno. He sure hasn’t done a lot of “spending money to make his team good” compared to how much you seem to believe that’s what he wants.

5th highest payroll entering 2019 season. Moreno spends money. Unfortunately he hands out contracts to Josh Hamilton, Albert Pujols, CJ Wilson, Justin Upton and the like.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
5th highest payroll entering 2019 season. Moreno spends money. Unfortunately he hands out contracts to Josh Hamilton, Albert Pujols, CJ Wilson, Justin Upton and the like.
Well yes that's my problem. He spends money but he doesn't spend it wisely and the team doesn't improve as a result. He has always needed to spend it on pitchers but has always refused to do so.

Oct 18, 2011

Oh yeah and that bum of a GM signed Shohei Ohtani who even if he never is able to pitch full time is still a damn good middle of the order hitter and that same GM (baseball ops, owner etc) were able to sell Trout on their vision.

Arte will spend the money if the team is positioned to win so honestly as long as he let's the baseball ppl do their jobs he's about as good as you will get as an owner

Reactions: Voight

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
eppler has clearly set forth a new plan for the angels

no more throwing massive contracts at free agents and trading the farm to "win now" like they did for most of the decade. he's already made good progress rebuilding the farm system. next goal has to be finally surrounding trout with some talent. ohtani was the first step but still lots of voids in the pitching department

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

He's spent more in the last 9 years than probably any owner other than Illitch and Henry. Problem was it wasnt spent wisely.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad