Signing(s): Angels sign Mike Trout: 12 years, 426 million

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
My bad.

I still don't think they should trade prospects for a pitcher, even though you didn't reference that. Their rotation does suck, but it's only for one year. The free agent starters for the 2019-20 offseason look promising.
I wouldn't for anyone expiring soon, but I certainly wouldn't mind doing so for someone with many years of control considering we don't have much high end prospect depth there outside of Canning.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Gerrit Cole is from California and went to UCLA. Maybe he'd want to come back home.
I’ve hoped for Cole for awhile, but anything Arte has said publically has indicated that he does not think pitchers are worth spending big money on, which is why we haven’t signed any big name pitchers and why we elected to sign Hamilton instead of Greinke in 2013, so it’s probably unlikely

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
before the contract "trout deserves all the money on the world, he should be the highest paid player in the mlb''

now "omg, that's ugly one, disgrace, no one deserves contract like this"

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i thought arenado would strongly consider the angels given he's from OC

but obviously that's not happening

darko

Feb 16, 2009
before the contract "trout deserves all the money on the world, he should be the highest paid player in the mlb''

now "omg, that's ugly one, disgrace, no one deserves contract like this"

If there's someone that deserves it it's Trout. It's still lot of coin for a guy who will be 39/40 when the contract ends.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
The farm is still not top 10 so they hardly "rebuilt" it.

I wouldn't for anyone expiring soon, but I certainly wouldn't mind doing so for someone with many years of control considering we don't have much high end prospect depth there outside of Canning.

but how are you going to get someone with many years of control when you have such a bad farm system?

if you want to complain about the angels not winning with trout, that's something.

if you want to complain about the angels not building their farm system up, that's something else.

you want to have your cake and eat it too. i told you in the matt harvey thread and quoted myself in this one. what eppler has done is what moreno has seemingly asked of him: keep this team within striking distance of the postseason. they haven't been a playoff team under eppler but look at what he inherited: a veteran team with a bunch of departing veterans, no farm system and willie mays. he's built the farm pretty well all things considered, added simmons and tried to help out the pitching staff with the best defense he could manage.

you want pitching but i'm not sure what exactly you wanted them to do about that this offseason. developing pitching is f***ing hard, man. ask the white sox. ask the reds. ask any of the other teams across baseball that have been "rebuilding" for the better part of a f***ing decade.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
but how are you going to get someone with many years of control when you have such a bad farm system?

if you want to complain about the angels not winning with trout, that's something.

if you want to complain about the angels not building their farm system up, that's something else.

you want to have your cake and eat it too. i told you in the matt harvey thread and quoted myself in this one. what eppler has done is what moreno has seemingly asked of him: keep this team within striking distance of the postseason. they haven't been a playoff team under eppler but look at what he inherited: a veteran team with a bunch of departing veterans, no farm system and willie mays. he's built the farm pretty well all things considered, added simmons and tried to help out the pitching staff with the best defense he could manage.

you want pitching but i'm not sure what exactly you wanted them to do about that this offseason. developing pitching is ****ing hard, man. ask the white sox. ask the reds. ask any of the other teams across baseball that have been "rebuilding" for the better part of a ****ing decade.
This is my problem. We have obviously won no playoff games of course of the Trout era, and we still have no idea what direction to go towards in terms of building a winning team. We tried buying players, but the players we have spent money on never made any sense to begin with (Pujols, Hamilton, Cozart, notice how none of these players are pitchers despite it being our weakness). Now Eppler is trying to sell his plan as "building from within", but the team also does not want to commit to a full on rebuild, so our pool will likely never be top 10, and likely won't put us over the top. The team has no clue what it wants to do to try to win, and the ownership is too scared to fully commit to a specific direction in order to create a contender. Not to mention the lack of accountability from anyone involved (nobody ever gets fired, we were the laughing stock of the league for keeping Sosh around for so long despite being bad since 09, any other GM who's created issues like Reagins and Dipoto had to step down because we wouldn't fire them, owner never admits to any mistakes), and I am just not confident at all in our organization to build a winner. If we want to build up the farm, commit to a rebuild and shop everyone except for Trout and Ohtani. If we want to go all in on trades and free agents, go out and get players that actually fill our holes (predominantly pitchers). But this method of half assed rebuilding, trying to sell the team off as a playoff contender despite its god awful pitching, and never holding anyone in charge accountable is a recipe for perpetual mediocrity, and as a season ticket holder who is sick of seeing Trout's prime get wasted, I am becoming extremely frustrated that after 7 years, we are nowhere close to being a true World Series contender.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i agree it's frustrating when the best player of his generation has his prime wasted.

but you can lay that at the feet of ownership and not the guy who has actually done a pretty respectable job at rebuilding this team without bottoming out (which has never been an option) and at least admit that he's done good work recently, building up the team's defense to at least prop up the pitching staff until help arrives.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
i agree it's frustrating when the best player of his generation has his prime wasted.

but you can lay that at the feet of ownership and not the guy who has actually done a pretty respectable job at rebuilding this team without bottoming out (which has never been an option) and at least admit that he's done good work recently, building up the team's defense to at least prop up the pitching staff until help arrives.
My true gripe will always be with the ownership, but when I look at how crappy the infield, rotation, and bullpen are, and the fact that the farm is not even top 10, I just cannot consider Eppler to have done a good job yet.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
then i really don't know what to tell you.

if you can't look at the team eppler inherited and the team now and see a difference, i really can't help you.
I'm not trying to say he hasn't done anything, I'm just not all that impressed that with our resources and Trout, the best we can say our GM has done after 3 years is "made the farm not bottom 3".

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm not trying to say he hasn't done anything, I'm just not all that impressed that with our resources and Trout, the best we can say our GM has done after 3 years is "made the farm not bottom 3".

Takes time to build up the farm through the draft. Unless you have players of value to trade for close to ready prospects .... which the Angels didn't.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Takes time to build up the farm through the draft. Unless you have players of value to trade for close to ready prospects .... which the Angels didn't.
If our priority is building up the farm, this is what I’d expect us to do. Simmons, Heaney, and Skaggs should be able to give us decent returns (would’ve also be fine shopping Trout and building around Ohtani). But if we’re going to make this our direction, we need to not half ass it, which is what we are currently doing.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If our priority is building up the farm, this is what I’d expect us to do. Simmons, Heaney, and Skaggs should be able to give us decent returns (would’ve also be fine shopping Trout and building around Ohtani). But if we’re going to make this our direction, we need to not half ass it, which is what we are currently doing.

The priority is to build a winning team. Building a farm is 1 part if it. Andrelton is still under contract this year and next, still time to trade him. Heaney and Skagg are under contract for at least couple seasons and LAA should be looking to extend them, not trade them.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The priority is to build a winning team. Building a farm is 1 part if it. Andrelton is still under contract this year and next, still time to trade him. Heaney and Skagg are under contract for at least couple seasons and LAA should be looking to extend them, not trade them.
A half assed rebuild while still trying to win never works out. We need to pick a direction and stick to it. Overpaying for Harvey and Cahill isn’t the answer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad